Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was human Twilight originally meant to be a villian?

dragoonanime

At the end of Rainbow Rocks the scene with Twilight seemed to imply that she might be in conflict with the human 6 in the next movie. In Friendship Games she seemed to have a different design and personality. Would she have been more of an antagonist if Megan had wrote the third movie?

I don't think her design was all that different.

Just because a character causes conflict doesn't automatically make them a villain.

So I don't think Human Twilight was supposed to be a villain.

I do have the suspicion that there were things that were drastically changed in the movie. We know now that her "I want" song was actually a Duet with Sunset shimmer, whom was implied to be yearning to return to equestria (which explains her reaction when the portal was closed). I think Twi was probably supposed to be more focused on her research than she was, and maybe a bit more antagonistic, though not a villain. 

When I first saw human world twilight at the end of RR I kinda thought she was gonna play a major role next movie, then we heard about midnight sparkle which I thought she was going to be the main antagonist for FG but I guess not.

So in my opinion I think she wasn't gonna be the main villain but still a threat and was gonna play a more evil and cruel midnight than the one we got.

Considering they had her toy produced so early, probably, but anything could have changed during production. Hell, even Sunset Shimmer and Discord were originally just meant to be "just some villain" never meant to reappear, but they were so overwhelmingly popular they brought them back almost immediately. I will also point out that Antagonist and Villain are not mutually exclusive, you can be one without being the other.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know what the original plans for human Twilight Sparkle would have been. I think it could have been a more interesting story if Twilight was in more control. Ditch the principal and have Twilight force herself into the games and eventually have her desire for knowledge lead into a significant fall. She would be the main antagonist, purposely stealing energy from Canterlot's elite for the purposes of research. Maybe even have her steal Sunset's book. Who knows. A lot of potential was wasted here.

Am I the only one who thought that the device Twilight created should have acquired some kind of visible sentience after it absorbed some magic? Like, whispy purple claws reaching out to magic sources or trying to stop Twilight from closing it, possibly leering facial featuers such as eyes and/or a mouth forming as energy dances around the device, possibly whispering things to Twilight to seek out more magic "in the name of Science". It would have given more of a clue to why Twilight became corrupted when she merged with the magic it absorbed, not to mention it did kinda look like it was getting more increasingly aggressive as it hungrily attempted to get near and devour magic sources.

It's just something that kept coming to mind when the device continued to seemingly act with a mind of it's own. It seemed like more than just a machine, to me.

I think they were going with a different kind of villain if Human Twilight is or was one as even the noblest of intentions can corrupt the individual. Ultimately Twilight's thirst and desire for knowledge is what drove her character into some of the decisions she made along the way.

However I like the fact they have been trying to use different approaches  for the antagonists and villains in these films so far.

I would rather let the magic Twilight captures taint her over the course of the movie. Slowly, she's slipping away with side effects. One scene Twilight looks at a group of students then a flash visual of their pony versions. 

Her personality changes where she becomes more bold to the point of standing up against the Crystal Prep and being a jerk towards the Mane 6. When confronted by Sunset Shimmer about how dangerous it is, TS throws it back in their faces about the two incidents that occurred.

Edited by Singe

The trailer made it seem like she was a villain, but she was actually good the whole time (except for when the magic corrupted her). I would think no, as there's no reason for us to believe that she was originally planned to be a villain.

Twilight Sparkle could have been pressured or bribed. Cinch could have thought bigger and cashed in on Twilight carrying around contained never before studied magical anomaly.

Well, I can see how you would think that. But more than anything the end of Rainbow Rocks indicated that human Twilight was just interested in what kind of energy was coming from Canterlot High, I don't think she was out to get anyone. Even in Friendship games she stated multiple times that she just wanted to understand the magic.

Well, I can see how you would think that. But more than anything the end of Rainbow Rocks indicated that human Twilight was just interested in what kind of energy was coming from Canterlot High, I don't think she was out to get anyone. Even in Friendship games she stated multiple times that she just wanted to understand the magic.

You're correct it's stated several times that she only wanted to understand it and didn't mean to harm anyone, Cinch wanted her to use the magic to cheat which caused Twilight to become corrupt and turn into a demon.

I don't think her design was all that different.

Just because a character causes conflict doesn't automatically make them a villain.

So I don't think Human Twilight was supposed to be a villain.

What you are saying is that there is a difference between being an Antagonist and being a Villain. The former is simply the cause of contention, and even two good guys can be each others antagonists if they find themselves in conflict. The latter is actively and deliberately composing a deleterious situation on those around them, like say, trying to enslave those around them or forcing them to fight the villains enemies for them. Cinch was the primary villain, Midnight Sparkle was the result of her ignorant meddling in things she didn't understand. I assume the magic inside Twilight's device was corrupted when she merged with it because of her anxiety, frustration, fear, sadness and loneliness, Anti-Elements of Harmony one might say..