Jeric

S05:E18 - Crusaders of the Lost Mark  

453 users have voted

1. 1. Sooo .... thoughts?

• No, I hated it! >:
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • Omygosh ... That. Was. Amazing!!! Loved it!

BTW, i don't think that the cutie marks of the CMC don't look ugly. They are actually quite well thought out.

They show their individual talents as well as the fact that they're best friends. The colors of the shield represents Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo (going from left to right). It's quite brilliant, if you ask me.

• Brohoof 1

Called it, so much in this episode. That DT had a horrible mother who is the main reason for her being so horrible herself; that her cutie mark means leadership; she can be great in that role if she can divest herself of her negative qualities. I just feel sorry for the DT haters, they'll need a new hobby. ;)

Diamond Tiara status: REDEEMED!

It was also nice that Silver Spoon (whom I liked less than DT all along) actually managed to grow a spine after just one too many snubs from DT and tell her to buck off. Before this she only had the clapping scene to hint at her having her own personality and not just being a little camp follower. 

Silver Spoon status: REDEEMED!

BUT...

Although it was ballsy of the show to finally give the CMC their marks, I have some concerns. First, none of the hints dropped in previous seasons ended up being a factor at all. Sweetie clearly has a musical talent, for example. And the marks I feel are way too similar. Even the Mane Six all have unique cutie marks, despite getting them in the same event. I'm also not quite sure how crusading for other ponies to get their marks will allow for varied story lines. I think they shouldn't have gone this route of having them all have the same talent and destiny.

A trilogy of episodes, each dealing with one of them and ending with that CMC alone getting her cutie mark would have been much more interesting a possibility. Then you could have some sort of exploration of how the other two might feel jealous of the first one to get hers, or how once two have their marks, the third one starts angsting, etc. There's a lot of potential they missed going the safer route.

Cutie Mark Crusaders status: UNCERTAIN

An interesting thing occurred to me about Diamond's mom... her cutie mark is a diamond ring... literally, her "talent" is marrying a rich stallion. No wonder she's so mean, her destiny is literally to marry Filthy Rich (see what I did there?) Now we need a redemption episode for Diamond Tiara's mom! :D

Despite my misgivings, though, I still loved this episode. The songs were beautiful, shit got done, and two of the least liked characters now give us reasons to like them. All in all, a triumph that could have done for a season finale.

Friendship is Magic, Season 5: REDEEMED!

So now that they have their cutie marks, what does this mean? The cmc receiving their cutie marks has always been one of the most anticipated things in the series. Now that we have hit that point, does this foreshadow an end? I really don't wanna be a downer or see the series end but a major part of the story we all liked has basically been completed. Can anyone elaborate on this?

So now that they have their cutie marks, what does this mean? The cmc receiving their cutie marks has always been one of the most anticipated things in the series. Now that we have hit that point, does this foreshadow an end? I really don't wanna be a downer or see the series end but a major part of the story we all liked has basically been completed. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I think they'd gotten about as much mileage off of them not having their marks as they could have without it getting stale.

And now they open up a boatload of possibilities. I want to see where they go re: Scootaloo's mark sharing something in common with Rainbow Dash's, for instance. And, if one of the CMCs is in trouble, do the other two get summoned?

Surely Celestia could use some sort of committee to handle cutie-mark-related identity issues for ponies...

Wow!

I have some more respect for Diamond Tiara after that redemption. Tho we are yet to see if she is still the brat we all know after this episode.

Also, the fact that the CMC got their Cutie Marks this much sooner was unexpected, but done right.

That moment ((the second one more specifically) that I mentioned in the spoiler box) is pretty darn relatable to the some or most of us who had to go through a long and tough life journey to figure out what we love to do with our lives to contribute to society in a positive way. :)

Therefore, I loved this episode. No question about it. :wub:   :D

Additional notes:

That first part in the episode that had to do with the Class President Election, reminded me a lot about the current political situation going on here in Canada with the 2015 Federal Election.

Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 2

A spectacular episode that will surely have its place in annals of Friendship Is Magic history.

Really, this was such a great episode. I loved Diamond Tiara's redemption, despite it being a little quick, but I suppose you can only do so much in 22 minutes. Hopefully they'll come back to her and give her some more development. Diamond Tiara's voice is also excellent. I really enjoyed her singing, and her song was also really strong.

Man, it's hard to believe our fillies are growing up!  :pinkie: I was on the verge of tears, it was really sweet. Especially when Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity were there. Unfortunately, I was spoiled by Equestria Daily when I saw their post in my Facebook feed. But still, I really enjoyed the episode. After all this time and the development, we finally see them with their Cutie Marks. It seems almost surreal, because I never thought it would happen. Regardless, I'm happy.

Applejack talking about her parents was unexpected, but may have confirmed their deaths. But perhaps they're just away? We really can't confirm until they actually say they're dead.

Loved the music and the story of this one; all absolutely fantastic. This really was a step up from a lot of the stuff we've seen this season. Makes me proud to be apart of this fandom and to be a fan of this show.

• Brohoof 4

I tried. I really tried not to cry while watching this episode. I thought It was going to be another run of the mill MLP episode, i wasn't expecting all of this development to be literally placed upon my shoulders so quickly. It was so great, so nice, such awesome and clever undertones of politics....

THIS is the episode I have really wanted. I love it all so much, a flawless episode indeed. I loved the music, and I usually don't like musicals. All the songs just meshed so well, and kept the story moving in a fantastic way. You can't say MLP has dropped in quality since season one with episodes like this still being produced. 

Sorry, I had to gush a bit...I teared up something fierce.

Edited by Soos

OK.

Seen this episode five times now. A few Season 5 episodes touched personal chords with me. TftM and Amending Fences hit close to home. This episode did something no cartoon has ever done. It flayed every ounce of my protective skin, and laid me bare and feeling exposed. Whether Season Five ranks as my favorite season remains to be seen, but I will always remember it as the most personal season for me. This episode, Diamond Tiara's redemption, that it came because her rivals finally glimpse her internal anguish, that line from AJ ...

Let's just say I have hugged my wife about a dozen times today.

• Brohoof 2

Dammit Hasbro... You make me hate Diamond Tiara, then start to feel sorry for her (OMG what's happening?!), and dangit...Now I'm actually starting to like her! STAHP messing with my feelings!

THIS WAS THE BEST EPISODE FEATURING THE CMC I HAVE SEEN!! The ending of this episode made me adore and sympathize with Diamond Tiara and seeing her redemption was truly heartwarming, I tried not to cry during this episode, but found myself crying a lot. The CMC getting their cutie marks was so exciting and I was screaming when they received them. The reprise at the end was fantastic and I loved seeing Luna and Celestia admire the picture especially Luna leaning in since she's close with the CMC, a fantastic episode in every way!! 10/10!!

post-5578-0-00669800-1444533963_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-09778100-1444533984_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-38307900-1444533995_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-84168000-1444533996_thumb.jpg

post-5578-0-40466900-1444533998_thumb.jpg

post-5578-0-00173700-1444534000_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

I tried. I really tried not to cry while watching this episode. I thought It was going to be another run of the mill MLP episode, i wasn't expecting all of this development to be literally placed upon my shoulders so quickly. It was so great, so nice, such awesome and clever undertones of politics....

THIS is the episode I have really wanted. I love it all so much, a flawless episode indeed. I loved the music, and I usually don't like musicals. All the songs just meshed so well, and kept the story moving in a fantastic way. You can't say MLP has dropped in quality since season one with episodes like this still being produced. 

Sorry, I had to gush a bit...I teared up something fierce.

Dood, did you finally get out of that maze?

• Brohoof 1

This episode was such a beautiful gift for the five year anniversary of "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". It was, in my opinion, quite possibly a PERFECT episode! I usually don't, but I watched it twice in a row, and sniffled my way through both playbacks. I loved it so much!

They even gave us a long awaited conformation at the end when Applejack was talking about how proud she was of Applebloom.

Well my first reaction in the ep following in my head thoughts:

Pip is soo cute!

Diamond's Mom is a bitch...

Wow Diamond can sing and has some true depth!

Wait,  is Diamond being emotional abused by her mother?!  Would they show that kinda thing on a MLP ep?

More singing,  the song is going to get stuck in my head all day now....fuck!

Holy cow,  more change and depth!  

You go girl,  talk back to your mom and become yourself!  Also yah you need friends!

Find your talent!  Man you go D.T!

Wait the CMC is glowing....did I take acid..?

BLOODY HELL!  THEY GOT BUTT TATTOOS!

Ok they have cutie marks....

(paused for five mins and walked away.....come back)

They got cutie marks  /reminds eps and speech parts/ ok so they help other ponies find their cutie marks and life paths.....so life coaches?   Looking at gen 4 maybe under Princess Luna as being a guide and friend?

..............more singing,   and more......

/to the end/

Glad they have em!    Ok well.....now more mlp songs stuck in my head,  thank you hasbro...

/goes back to anime.../

You know, I want to hate this episode. I do. The dialogue is horribly written, the pacing and plot devices run like a bad 1k word fanfic, and there's just so much damn singing (and I liked Magical Mystery Cure)! This is a completely undeserving episode for the CMC to finally succeed. But.... I can't. I just can't. CMC getting their cutie marks outweighs any terribleness this episode had.

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, one of the worst episodes in the show. I could've told that it's the worst, but there are some episodes that cannot be matched. (Amending fences)

And it's bad for Equestria and friendship, mostly.

Like always, just my opinion.

God, the feels. I cried during DT's song. It just resonated so HARD. I fully understand DT's pain.

And the feels with the "We'll make our mark" song and reprise. I'm not happy they got their marks, but unf! The feels, man. The feels.

• Brohoof 3

The CMC DID:  Their adventure is just beginning.  But it will clearly have changed. 

Not current episode spoiler

The hints on the season finale seem to have cutie mark issues at their center.  with the CMC save the day at the end?