Jeric

S05:E18 - Crusaders of the Lost Mark  

453 users have voted

1. 1. Sooo .... thoughts?

• No, I hated it! >:
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • Omygosh ... That. Was. Amazing!!! Loved it!

Wow... this episode has to be one of the highlights of Season 5! The songs, the redemption of Diamond Tiara as well as finally showing why she acted the way she did, and the CMC finally getting their cutie marks. No longer will the Cutie Mark Crusaders be crusading to find their cutie marks, they've achieved that. Their marks appeared when they realized their true purpose; to help other ponies find their purpose and get/ better understand their cutie marks. 

And what a touching finale when the older sisters congratulated the CMC. 

11/10 Fantastic episode!

• Brohoof 2

So this marks the ending of the CMC and Diamond Tiarra rivalry then, huh? Perhaps in the next season there might be even a Diamond Tiarra episode, or even a new rivalry for the CMC and DT, can't wait to see this. And almost forgot, congrats to the CMC for having their cutie marks, they earned it. :yay:

• Brohoof 1

One thousand fan theories just got confirmed. My god, that's a really awesome episode. Probably the first time I've had resounding praise for an episode, I was beaming the entire way through. I especially love Diamond Tiara in this, probably her last time to show up seriously and she really makes it her shining moment. A musical for an episode and it was absolutely worth it. So glad I watched it.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, I don't disagree with @@arftbmrf. The trouble is, everything leading up to this point, starting from Showstoppers, has leaned on the idea that: 

Sweetie Belle = Singer
Apple Bloom = handypony
Scootaloo = extreme stunts

Frankly, this talent came out of no where! While I really have no trouble with it, the episode felt incredibly rushed, like the writers didn't want to spend too much time on Pipsqueak getting elected or Diamond Tiara being reformed because they had to keep in mind the reveal in the last few minutes. It just wasn't paced right to me. This should have been something more like 2 consecutive episodes. Not saying I have a problem with their cutie marks (Heck, Sweetie Belle even has a musical note on hers!), but the episode just did a poor job with the execution of the plot. And, hey! I watch it for the plot!

• Brohoof 1

I have no words from what I have just witnessed...the whole product was just...I don't know.

I'm just speechless...that was just beautiful. <3

• Brohoof 2

Haha it's funny because you obviously must be trolling

these two are Season 5's best.

You don't understand why I consider this episode one of the worst and I don't understand why you like it. Let it be this way.

I loved the new episode! I just finished watching it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that cried at the end of the episode. The part that hit me the hardest was the one I knew was coming. Applejack filled with tears in her eyes, expressing her joy to hear that Apple Bloom finally got her cutie mark. But when she finally mentions her parents and how proud they would be, that's when the tears began flowing. This is now one of my favorite episodes, just from the change that was made with Diamond Tiara, and the CMCs finally get their cutie marks. Absolutely wonderful episode! c:

You don't understand why I consider this episode one of the worst

Then maybe enlighten us?

Edited by Hero
  • Brohoof 1

I don't want to be banned for getting off-topic, sorry.

It shouldn't be off topic if you're discussing the episode. I'm just curious why you didn't like it? But then again, I'm not going to try and pry it out of you. I understand, there are some episodes I don't like 'just because' as well.

This should have been something more like 2 consecutive episodes.

There was probably nothing they could do about it. They couldn't have used the finale and two episodes cuts into valuable episode real estate that can't be spared. Hasbro probably mandated that the reveal be done this season so they had little to work with. It was going to be a tight episode no matter what.

It shouldn't be off topic if you're discussing the episode. I'm just curious why you didn't like it? But then again, I'm not going to try and pry it out of you. I understand, there are some episodes I don't like 'just because' as well.

Because they added many bad elements in pony society and Equestria.

And what kind of bad elements have they added?

Abusive parents, impotant authorities, pauper schools, ponies who suffer the whole life, because they don't understand what their talent is wasting their life to something they don't like, which leads to worthless life and regrets before death.

Abusive parents, impotant authorities, pauper schools, ponies who suffer the whole life, because they don't understand what their talent is wasting their life to something they don't like, which leads to worthless life and regrets before death.

You are taking this cartoon for more than they give you. 

• Brohoof 1

I think I see what you're saying, but I think the show handled those issues very well.

I'm still geekin out about it. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! 

I know! Wasn't it amazing? c:

• Brohoof 1

I think I see what you're saying, but I think the show handled those issues very well.

How many ponies lived worthless lives before this problem was addressed? How many ponies died from hunger because there wasn't money in the budget? How many ponies suffer life-long childhood trauma because of abusive parents? I don't think such issues will be solved that easily, or solved at all.

I just got done watching this episode. And boy I finally know what it's like to feel overwhelmed after a tv show. I legitimately cried a little at the end. I feel little stupid but it's so great seeing the cmc get their cutie marks and be so overjoyed with it. We've seen their trials and tribulations and they finally got there.

Kudos to you CMC!

• Brohoof 2

Hello everyone! On the road for several days so I'm stuck typing on a mobile device, which is less that fun so no big commentaries until I get back home. :catface:

Pretty awesome episode with all the developmental changes and all. That awesome post I saw on the forum this mornng did change my mind about the CMC's getting their marks today, so I expected that. Didn't really expect DT and SS to get redeemed, though! Also I totally wasn't expecting to see the Cutecenara at the end with the Mane6+Spike there to pay respects, and it was the highlight of the episode. But I do have a few misgivings that are bugging me, and perhaps moreso after a second viewing:

• Yikes, so much whiplash with Diamond Tiara going from berating the CMC to speaking out about them as some of her best friends. I'll have to think about this and see if there's a way it could have been written where it's not so abrupt.
  • There are plotholes in that DT goes from a plan to oust Pip as prez at the beginning of a song, to saying he's an awesome prez by the end. That's not the problem (though again it does seem pretty abrupt, but I'll let it slide as the CMC's song changed DT's heart): The real problem is Spoiled and Filthy Rich are seen in town as the song is playing, but at the end Spoiled is somehow in the schoolhouse? And when did DT have time to write the note to her dad? For that matter, why didn't she just give it to him in person(pony) when she passed through town?
  • Something was off about DT's character at the beginning of the episode. I can't put my hoof on it, and I'll need to wait until I get back home to play all my DVD's with the DT episodes on them and see if I can figure it out. That's going to be less than pleasant, though seeing her in a new light will help!
  • I can't help but think they've simply transferred the problem of a lack of character development for DT to another character - her mom, who is even more 1-dimensional that DT ever was.
  • I'm not crazy about the colors on the marks, as some others here have said. I get the backdrop of the shield is supposed to match their mane colors, but then they should have used a different, more contrasting color for the actual symbols instead of Twilight Purple/Lavender. (Unless that is supposed to be symbolic in some way that hasn't been revealed yet?) You can barely see the symbols on a regular TV. The designs themselves are nice, however, as far as their line art goes.
  • DT's mom literally came out of nowhere. She's not even the same pony that was in Luna's shared dream in Filthy Rich's house earlier this season, so either he's dreaming of an affair with somepony else because she's so unlikeable or it's a gaffe. I would have liked to have seen her introduced in one of the previous episodes this season to prepare us for this revelation of how cruel she is.
  • At the Cutecenara, where were Scootaloo's parents, or Sweetiebelle's for that matter?
  • And finally.. Where was my namesake, Truffles, among the school foals? For that matter, what became of Featherweight? He wasn't there, either. :(

Picky little old me's gotta be picky, I guess! :) (And this was a lot more typing that I expected...)

• Brohoof 2

What a way to celebrate the fifth anniversary of MLP:FiM! :yay:

This was basically the "Magical Mystery Cure" of Season 5 (in a good way). Lots of feelings and many good songs...

I'm so looking forward for the finale :pinkie:

For long I've had a theory where the CMC will somehow get two cutiemarks: one representing their "individual" talents alone (like singing for Sweetie Belle, scooting for Scootaloo, etc.), and the other mark would represent a special talent that they "created" themselves, somewhat like the ones that they got in this episode.

Edited by Yoshi-Fan GM

Am I the only one who felt that, in terms of structure, this episode is very "Magical Mystery Cure"-ish?

I mean:

• Record amount of songs in a single episode: CHECK!
  • A certain crisis is averted with the help of true friendship: CHECK!
  • Episode's main focus characters move on to the next level in a fashion of Twilight becoming an alicorn: CHECK!
  • A great celebration of that concludes the episode: CHECK!

STILL LOVED IT! But having troubles to fall asleep now because of all that sheer happiness for Apple Bloom, Sweetie and Scoots not cooling off. Good luck on your next life-level...Cutie Mark Crusaders!

'salutes while crying out of pride and joy'

Edited by Light Blade
  • Brohoof 2

One of the best season 5 episodes,so far. That Diamond Tiara character development was much needed,and the music was actually wonderful. I especially enjoyed DT's song and the Chase song.

• Brohoof 2

I'm...not really sure what to say. This episode got me by surprise, twice. Character development? For Diamond Tiara? She's more than a 2D flat bully now? She's not a bully now? And not only that, the CMC actually got their cutiemarks? I did not expect this day would ever come, hah.

I really liked this one, rather surprised to see myself feel sorry and sympathize with Diamond Tiara, of all ponies...It's nice to see her use her leadership skills to inspire others. :) I am also happy to see the Crusaders earn their cutiemarks in a talent like this, I like the idea more than the usual we see in fanart. ^^

Also, BigMac's goofy smile was adorable. :P

• Brohoof 2

Alright. I admit it. This episode made me cry happy tears. 

Not only did the CMC get their cutie marks, but they all got them at the same time as well which I thought really cemented the connection between them. 

Also there was the fact that they actually got Diamond Tiara to find her true self, stand up to her snooty mother Spoiled Rich(emphasis on Spoiled) , and stop being a bully was awesome too. The songs were also great as well.  

I kind of thought Pip Squeak was going to get his cutie mark, but oh well. 

Still it was nice to see him in an episode again. 

• Brohoof 3