Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is MLP a thing?

otqlx

Why does My Little Pony have a strong male 20yr old following? What is so special about MLP? It's animations and plot, while better than Sea Princesses (Or worse, Battlefield Earth), is neither in-depth nor that great. Why? I don't hate MLP, just don't understand what's so special about it, OK?

Edited by otqlx
  • Brohoof 2

I adore the characters, that's the main reason. Each of the mane six and a large portion of the side characters are just some of my favorite characters from any media. They each have their flaws and strengths, but I can't think of many shows that have made me sympathize with and like characters more than this one. The show has a great, cheerful atmosphere that is happy and bright, but not too happy and bright, it feels honest and optimistic instead of forced and fake more often than not.

The songs are catchy and fun to listen to, there's some good jokes scattered here and there, the morals are good for the most part, and the show has had a few moments that were legitimately very touching. The fandom isn't perfect but it's produced some of the most awesome fanworks I've ever seen, and I've made quite a few friends because of it.

It's honestly my favorite TV show of all time, maybe not objectively the best, but I adore almost everything about it, and I hate most TV.

• Brohoof 7

Why does My Little Pony have a strong male 20yr old following? What is so special about MLP? It's animations and plot, while better than Sea Princesses (Or worse, Battlefield Earth), is neither in-depth nor that great. Why? I don't hate MLP, just don't understand what's so special about it, OK?

The MLP:FiM fandom was born from people who were fully prepared to mock and piss all over the show only to discover (to their horror XD) that it was a very enjoyable cartoon. From there, it was just amatter of making others also watch it and see if it had the same effect XD

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 7

To me, personally, I like it because it's different from my tastes. The characters are relatable, it's bright, colourful, the solutions to problems are unpredictable (Swarm of the Century). It's a lot different from the cartoons I grew up with. It's interesting. Plus, the music has a little 'disney' tint to them.  :P

Edited by Guest

It appeals to all genders and ages. The characters are relatable and the design/animation is well done and appealing. It's a very well made show, and deserves the praise and attention it gets.

• Brohoof 2

MLP is very special show. İt has incredible messages that affects people.For example , While i watching the show , i rest  my head, laugh too much, forget my fatigue, forget my anger , gain energy and much more..

• Brohoof 7

otqlx, on 06 Oct 2015 - 6:02 PM, said:

You've already gotten this answer a few times but, The characters are Amazing :P

And there are some really emotional moments in the show as well, Wich I enjoy :)

• Brohoof 1

Hi, as this topic is about the general fandom and not specifically about the show, I have decided to move it to Sugarcube Corner.
  • Brohoof 2

I like the show because it gives my positive messages in this cruel unforgiving world. It gives me hope and keeps me strong and good in the heart. It makes me a better person to myself and to the ones around me, before the show I was a pretty big douche bag. So I think it's safe to say that this show is pretty damn awesome if it can help me this much.

• Brohoof 2

It's a good show with wonderful music, really good character development, good message, it's really enjoyable, it's fun to watch and also the style of animation is really good and there is a wonderful community with a lot of artists and friends

• Brohoof 1

Lauren Faust, when making this cartoon, said she didn't want these characters to fall into gender stereotypes. I feel like Lauren pulled this off nicely, so nicely that all genders can identify with the ponies problems and situations. While Rarity can be a bit of a girly girl at times, the other characters play off of her girlish nature so well you don't really mind it. Lauren wanted to make a cartoon anyone could appreciate, and that she did. 

• Brohoof 3

To me, it was the pilot that sold it to me:  it had a very good fantasy universe, and the pilot was a borderline self-parody with good gags, a good and even epic plot that was relatable to all ages (we're talking about a worldwide extinction event being averted, here!), and it introduced strong, complex characters with flaws and strengths who were able to play off each other for both comedy and drama.

The characters and the fantasy universe are what keep me around, personally, but it's different for different bronies.

• Brohoof 2

MLP is an all around amazing cartoon in terms of story lines, animation, character development, soundtrack, etc.

What makes it extra special, is it's good enough to be enjoyed by not only young girls, but adult men as well, because of the reasons stated above, even though the show has a feminine undertone. Making "bronies"  sort of social movement in a way.

• Brohoof 1

Because back in the 1980's a woman named Bonnie Zachary came up with the idea to make a cartoon about these happy and peaceful little ponies and their friend Megan who have to face various monsters that trouble them and thus My Little Pony was born and it spawned a franchise that lasted 3 decades and counting.

It's a thing because people like it.  It's a cute, fun cartoon and it's a way to meet like-minded people.

Despite all of the blathering about 'it's for everyone' it's something that not everyone can get into. You couldn't really get into it, but from the sound of it, at least you gave it a try.

Also, BTW, The Coffee Pony, her name is Bonnie Zacherle.

Edited by zombienixon
  • Brohoof 1

The MLP:FiM fandom was born from people who were fully prepared to mock and piss all over the show only to discover (to their horror XD) that it was a very enjoyable cartoon. From there, it was just amatter of making others also watch it and see if it had the same effect XD

My experience summed up in one post. Oh, the nostalgia...

• Brohoof 1

It is just a wonderful show. Not much more needs to be said. It doesn't matter what 'gender' the show seems like it is for, if it is a good show, it is a good show and can be enjoyed by anyone. 

Honestly, I would go into more detail, but I have answered this question soooooooooooooooooooooo many times over the past 3 years, it gets tiresome at some point explaining it. XD

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much how i got into it, i can see a little of myself in all the characters so i can relate the fantasy setting makes it fun and full of possibilities, the characters aren't human so i don't start off hating them and normally when a musical number comes up in the middle of a movie/show i plug my ears and go la,la,la,la but whatever the reason FiM has songs i feel like singing at the top of my lunges... the next door neighbors door howls along.  :blush:

• Brohoof 2