Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

so, you waste 65 years of your life for a paycheck. or you could

Jora

so i've been thinking quite heavily on the futilely of the monitory system as a whole. no i'm not saying we should ban money all together but think of it like this:

you work from say 15-20 or 25 then you have the next 5-10 years to chase what you want free of charge. college, music, traveling, and then you have to go back into the work force for another 3-7 years  on and off like this etc.

something that is a dream of mine that i will never see because money talks blah blah blah is. i'd love to be a kind of modern day scholar, going to all different country's/towns etc. talking with the locals seeing the sights, talking with the older councilmen and the oldest members in the area. to write about all i see and hear the high points, the lows, concerns, hopes for the future, bring this to the UN or GOV just so they can have detailed records of the happenings around the world year to year day to day month to month etc. i just want to get connected  and let the unheard be heard if only my ear will listen.

and with that said WHAT WOULD YOU DO if you weren't tied down to paycheck to paycheck.

If I didn't have to worry about money, I would spend time Motorcycling around the world. Learn to fix everything I can get my hands on. Just pursue knowledge and experience in the things I love to do.

• Brohoof 2

I probably wouldn't change much? I go to work and talk to folk on the phone and 'do' engineering. Which is kind of the same thing as I like to do at home.

If I didn't go to work for five mornings a week I'd kick about until lunch time and get nothing done anyway :)

I'm sure I could fill a day if I didn't need a job though. I'd probably do more off-road competitions by traveling further away?

And build a nice tube-buggy :)

And do more pony stories....

• Brohoof 2

There is a thing called saving up. 

Honestly, I like working. I'd rather have a nice week of hard work put in than have a blank space and nothing to do, that makes me feel unproductive and miserable. I don't "waste" my time for a paycheck, that paycheck is the summation of my work. My time working on the trash truck, my first job, was some of the most wonderful times of my life. I made a lifelong friend, hung out with interesting people, got to ride on the side of the truck, stayed in shape and in the sun, got to goof off a bit on slow days, and at the end of the week I got paid.

Why is that seen as such a terrible and enslaving thing? It was through my work that I achieved my independence, no longer simply living by my parent's mercy, but able to make my own purchases, able to do with my money as I choose. To that end, when the week ended and I had a few days off, I had earned not only the money I would then spend but I had earned that time off.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 4

true i can see your point and your right in all regards, while i also like my job as well. i'd rather travel uninhibited by money i wouldn't be lazy as probably most of everyone i'd love to see the entire world in my life time rather then being tied to job after job i'd love to experience and learn from country's and slums. then saving money for what 25 years (i'm 25) and then start my dream. why not now right? that's what i'm getting at

Honestly, I'd never work a day if I didn't have to. I'd just watch ponies, talk with friends, and play games all day.

I don't get satisfaction from work. Completing my chores never felt good, getting good grades never felt good, working a hard day at the only job I've ever had to get that money never felt good either. No satisfaction, no pride, it just made me tired. I get that kind of satisfaction from playing games and nothing else.

It's kind of scary really, I'm going to spend the rest of my life working, and I can't find anything to work for that makes me feel good. I'm not sure if I can ever really be happy anymore.

• Brohoof 2

true i can see your point and your right in all regards, while i also like my job as well. i'd rather travel uninhibited by money i wouldn't be lazy as probably most of everyone i'd love to see the entire world in my life time rather then being tied to job after job i'd love to experience and learn from country's and slums. then saving money for what 25 years (i'm 25) and then start my dream. why not now right? that's what i'm getting at

Then by all means go, I just don't see why there needs to be a national program enacted to indulge in this individual aim. Especially since this sounds like something utterly ripe for abuse if it was enacted and I don't trust the government to deliver my mail, why would I trust them with my vacation time?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I too would travel the world and see what there is to see. As of now my world is probably about 5% of the real world, which sounds small and insignificant, like I haven't experienced enough. Given the opportunity, why not experience this world to its fullest?

• Brohoof 1

Work makes me feel accomplished, so I would probably still finish my degree so that I could get an interesting job. The paycheck isn't as important so long as I have an Internet connection and a job I enjoy.

• Brohoof 3

I like the idea of working as a historical reenactor, and would love to get that position as a full time job, if possible. If I wasn't working, I'd be doing the the exact same things, trying to find some excuse to teach others about history in full regalia. 

if you don't want to be so reliant on money then learn to do as many things as you can to get some costs down XD. Try growing your own things, learn to fix or make things yourself. There are ways to be self dependant on alot of things 

• 2 years later...

Working and making money can be fun, it allows you to have some adventures. It allows me to take care of my family. Now that I have a property outright I'm looking into maybe becoming a landlord, as well as a career jump. The game of Life is fun when you don't let it be a drag. My boss, however, stays at work until 9pm every night and has no extracurricular life so to speak.

If money isn't everything, I would be sitting on my ass all day.

If money were no object, I'd do what I want, when I wanted too, all the time, forever. Go to New York? Sure. Pony cons? Here I come. Sleep in until noon every day for a week? You betcha. My dream, more than any one thing, is to have that kind of freedom.

(edited)

I’m not sure if I’d do it that way, but I am of the belief that we shouldn’t just be born “to pay bills” and survive, many people can’t even achieve that.

Here in the state’s people often kill themselves at work with long hours each week endlessly to survive. And people are fine with that.... Help them out please.

Edited by WWolf

I hate so much about how this world works with respect to work and money.  Not that I have a better solution, but I believe something better is possible.  It has to be theoretically possible, given that money is just an arbitrary invention that only has the value we give it.  I've often thought about the absurdity of situations like the Great Depression, and wartime debts and things of that nature.  So...what I mean is, during a time of economic collapse, governments and businesses will say that they can't make whatever products or provide whatever services because we're broke, right?  But...money is just....money.  All of the physical resources required to make those products still exist, so there's nothing about physical reality that is preventing it...right?  It's just that no one will do anything unless they get paid, and that process trickles down from leaders to the entire population.  But...it's like....if everyone cooperated, it seems to me that things could still get done as long as you have resources.  Am I making any sense?  Of course, this is such a gross oversimplification that it's basically turning real life into Minecraft, but it's still something I think about, and it bothers me.  I really wish we could create a world where money doesn't exist.  Like Star Trek.  That's the dream.

Spoiler

In a world like this, we could follow creative pursuits, expand our minds, and create new and wonderful things to help us enjoy life simply because it brings us fulfillment to do so, not because we have to work to eat.  This is why I have always felt like I was born in the wrong time period.  I should have either been born in the distant past, before money was invented, or the distant future when we've evolved beyond it.  Of course, the past would suck in actuality, because one little cut and you probably die of infection.

I'd live out my dream of exploring Western Europe, Scandinavia, Greece, Greenland, Iceland, etc. Although money isn't the only factor that might discourage me from some of that.

• Brohoof 2

My job gives my passion focus; while I like to think of myself as a fairly good software developer now, I can't come up with good project ideas of my own for the life of me. It also gives me chances to learn new things about my passion, I likely would have learned about how to program GPU kernels or work with computer vision technologies otherwise and that stuff is incredibly cool.

So if I were ejected from work due to some kind of weird system, I'd probably become a full-time open source developer and do exactly what I'm doing now. Except unpaid. And I might spend a few more nights gazing up at the stars a bit longer than usual.

• Brohoof 1

As many others have said, I'd love to travel around the world. I still plan on doing that though: You just have to put forth the effort to save your money and not spend it on things you don't need.

I do think it's unfortunate that certain jobs just don't pay a living wage and people have to live paycheck to paycheck... stay in school, folks.

• Brohoof 1