Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How were Celestia and Luna born?

Bendy

How were Princess Celestia and Princess Luna born?

Was their parents the creator of Equestria? The two fell in love and Celestia and Luna were their children through their love. Do these two alicorn gods now live far away in on another planet or something?

Did some great horse god like Faust create Equestria along with Celestia and Luna through magic and then fly off to some other planet to create more life?

How do you think Celestia and Luna were born/created?

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 3

If I remember the Faust quote rightly, she said that they saw them as having had parents, but hadn't worked out the details.

Also according to Faust she doesn't see Celestia and Luna as gods, just being tremendously magical, or something.

Edit: Also if I'm understanding the Faust quote about Prince Blueblood rightly, he seems to be descended from Celestia and Luna's maternal first cousin. So they do have extended family.

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 2

I love to create headcannons out of this question, the possibilities are just too great to overlook.

• Brohoof 1

They were born like any other pony. Unlike Twilight and Cadance, they were born as alicorns and were chosen by Star Swirl (and some other ancient unicorns) to guide Equestria. They didn't even have their cutie marks at the time, because alicorns gain those at a later age.

Also they aren't immortal, just very long-lived.

Where their parents are, I don't know, because 'The Journal of Two Sisters' doesn't actually explain that bit.

You know, mommy alicorn and daddy alicorn loved so much each other, they do some... "stuff", cue 11 months and baby Celly comes from mommy alicorn. Repeat, and Baby Woona comes :D . I don't think we'll ever see them though, but there are leaks of the 2017 pony movie where: 

They do have another sibling, he's called Cosmos, though, I'm not sure how much of that will make to the movie :huh:  

• Brohoof 1

You know, mommy alicorn and daddy alicorn loved so much each other, they do some... "stuff", cue 11 months and baby Celly comes from mommy alicorn. Repeat, and Baby Woona comes :D . I don't think we'll ever see them though, but there are leaks of the 2017 pony movie where: 

They do have another sibling, he's called Cosmos, though, I'm not sure how much of that will make to the movie :huh:  

Okay, you can't be blamed for this, because you did put a spoiler tag and fair warning and all - Completely my fault, but -

...I opened the spoiler before reading your last sentence about the movie, expecting it was just going to be one of those cases where people stuff images inside spoiler tags (was expecting to see some fanart).

But instead I got spoiled. :(

• Brohoof 1

Where abouts was this leaked?

Where abouts was this leaked?

Wikileaks, though, you can google for MLP movie 2017 leaks, and you'll find it easily, as I dunno how to use wikileaks 

Okay, you can't be blamed for this, because you did put a spoiler tag and fair warning and all - Completely my fault, but -

...I opened the spoiler before reading your last sentence about the movie, expecting it was just going to be one of those cases where people stuff images inside spoiler tags (was expecting to see some fanart).

But instead I got spoiled. :(

LOL, too bad for that spoiling, but then again, those leaks have been there since... late 2014 I think :huh: . It's a long way before release date given, so, the end product could end up changed  :twi:

• Brohoof 1

it's a great question and the answer depends on, really whether luna and celestia are immortal?

Or are they part of a race of alicorns. or maybe they are gods of some description.

Or even something else altogether?

Hmm... 

Well the Journal of the Two Sisters was written by Amy Keating Rogers while she was still one of the show's writers, so I daresay that makes it canon. As others have mentioned, Celie and Lulu were born and raised in Canterlot. Being in Canterlot, it's quite possible their parents were ordinary unicorns. Eventually Star Swirl took an interest in them because being alicorns they were a mix of all three races and could potentially harbour unity in Equestria.

Now to speculate:

1) Presumably, Canterlot was founded at the same time as or shortly after Equestria itself (Equestria being a new land and the three tribes deciding to live there together). Since the sisters were born in Canterlot, that means they're roughly the age of Equestria.

2) The Journal also mentions the sisters meeting Chancellor Puddinghead, Princess Platinum, and Commander Hurricane, who we all know from the founding of Equestria. We don't have a canonical life expectancy for regular ponies, but this suggests that Celie and Lulu were young adults at the time they were crowned.

3) The only remaining factor in the sisters' ages is for how long they ruled prior to Luna's coup attempt. And that's anypony's guess. My personal headcanon is somewhere between 100-200 years.

In summary:

Celie and Lulu probably had unicorn parents, but perhaps mixed races throughout the family tree.

Celie and Lulu are, by my reckoning, 1,231 years old at most.

Yo. Instead of giving Celestia some time at last, let's bring even more alicorns into the show.

It would be typical. Hey, they could make their parents take Celestia with them. Then the writers don't have to waste a thought on her anymore. Double win for them.