Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Avoiding "suddenly always knew that."

Steel Accord

So I have a character who knows martial arts but isn't the kind of character where that would be readily apparent until he gets into a fight scene. How can I establish that my protagonist has this skill in a way that's organic through action or dialogue before he's actually called upon to defend himself?

EDIT: The story does not take place in or around a dojo or school, nor in Japan, China, or even Equestria at least at the start. So the location does not lend itself to this knowledge either.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

How would he have gained this skill, or where/how/when does he practice and maintain it?

How would he have gained this skill, or where/how/when does he practice and maintain it?

He gained the skill through years of training before the story actually starts. He is just your average American guy who's passions just happened to include Kung Fu.

He gained the skill through years of training before the story actually starts. He is just your average American guy who's passions just happened to include Kung Fu.

Hmm... then wouldn't that be a sufficient way to say it in your story?

@@Steel Accord, I would imagine then, he'd still practice it at some point during his week? If you have a passion for something, and build up something over years, I doubt you'd just... stop. Even the best people get rusty or out of practice if this occurs.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@@SFyr,

True enough, but the events of my fanfic kind of would put a wrench in anyone's cycle. Not that this isn't a bad idea actually, I might just go with that. 

@@Admiral Regulus,

Just, out of nowhere have him say to people he's known for years . . .

"I know Kung Fu."

That falls into the "as you know" trap of crowbaring relevant information into dialogue.   

Edited by Steel Accord

I'm not really sure if I understand what your issue is but why can't you just write about him doing some kung fu training or something? And if you don't want to write about that but rather give some sort of hint, maybe write about him turning on the television to a kung-fu film and thinking/talking to himself like "haha, if it only were that easy"

I don't know, I'm terrible at ideas :P

@@Steel Accord, I think one of the major failing points people fall into when making powerful or highly capable characters is that being good at something tends to take time and maintenance, haha.  :grin2: AJ is strong from spending most of her time working. RD is fast because she pushes herself whenever possible. Twilight is knowledgeable because every other free moment is probably spent in a book. Even if you don't introduce it that way, I think he'd be a bit more relatable/believable if he made an appreciable sacrifice for his skill (even if it's time). Pulling out certain skills from "some time ago" that are no longer practiced seems a bit on par with being in shape after months of disuse.

Sorry for the longer spiel.  :kindness: Basic point is, how much I would buy into his skills, as a reader, would be proportional to how much devotion to practice I see in the character. And, that might be important to highlight when introducing it; either through tone, or how you approach it.*

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 1

The thing about martial arts is that it isn't just about fighting. For many people it's a way of looking at the world. Nothing is said about what he's been through from using his skills but I take it he's learned a lot from his experiences learning and using said skills. That being the case, when he puts his two cents into a topic, some of that experience could come into view where the reader could ask oneself what background the character comes from to have such views. For it to be organic, it has to look like it's his natural way of expressing himself.

That's just they way he expresses. What about how he approaches problems? Are there situations where it could be seen that he's trained or skilled beyond the basic requirements for the specific actions or tasks?

• Brohoof 1

The thing about martial arts is that it isn't just about fighting. For many people it's a way of looking at the world.

Yeah, I'm one of them. There is a reason the character does this and is the protagonist. It's because I do the same thing in real life. It's something I carry with me as close as my faith.

Nothing is said about what he's been through from using his skills but I take it he's learned a lot from his experiences learning and using said skills. That being the case, when he puts his two cents into a topic, some of that experience could come into view where the reader could ask oneself what background the character comes from to have such views. For it to be organic, it has to look like it's his natural way of expressing himself.

Yes, good points, allow the skill to feel natural to the character. So that even if it goes unmentioned it doesn't feel like it comes from nowhere.

@@SFyr,

No don't apologize. Really I need those longer details instead of just "just do this" posts that don't really tell me much. Thank you, good points and definitely something I'll implement. 

• Brohoof 2

What style of martial arts? Depending on whether or not the style is internal/external, Shaolin/ Wudang, Western/Eastern, etc. there are subtle variations in how one carries themselves.

portray those expressions in his character, from his actions to his resting facial expression, even in the way he breathes. You can't master martial arts without mastering yourself first, as I'm sure you know.

• Brohoof 2

What style of martial arts? Depending on whether or not the style is internal/external, Shaolin/ Wudang, Western/Eastern, etc. there are subtle variations in how one carries themselves.

portray those expressions in his character, from his actions to his resting facial expression, even in the way he breathes. You can't master martial arts without mastering yourself first, as I'm sure you know.

All very true and I have figured out how to carry that idea without it feeling forced. To answer your question, Northern style Kung Fu.