Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

All deleted scenes from Friendship Games

Apexiled

We all had the debate about whether Sunny should go back to Equestria or not and then they cut the topic from the movie.... as great as Friendship Games was, adding this in would have been better

• Brohoof 4

We all had the debate about whether Sunny should go back to Equestria or not and then they cut the topic from the movie.... as great as Friendship Games was, adding this in would have been better

I was amazed they had gone this far in the deleted scenes. It certainly would have given a different spin to the whole movie and Sunset's character in particular. Since going back to Equestria is a major consideration that has been hovering beneath the surface, I agree it would have been better to have this in. Who knows what EqG4 will be like...  :o

• Brohoof 2

I was amazed they had gone this far in the deleted scenes. It certainly would have given a different spin to the whole movie and Sunset's character in particular. Since going back to Equestria is a major consideration that has been hovering beneath the surface, I agree it would have been better to have this in. Who knows what EqG4 will be like...

It's a shame really, the sub-plot was realistic and I agree with you that this would have given Sunset a more in depth character. It would have also made more sense for her growing frustration of not understanding the magic, that she would eventually give up and not care and rather go home to where magic made sense.

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes worth!?! I only saw the "What more is out there?" scene.

That song could've been so much more awesome! Sunset's first part in that song... god damn! So good. It also added to the whole duality that was present throughout the whole movie.

And at the end of the song twilight is sad rather than happy. 

I kind of dont want Sunset to permanently return to equestria.. but at the same time I sooooo doooo! Maybe she doesn't have to be a big character, just a recurring one every now and then. These scenes were actually awesome. Plus she seems to want to stay at the end, so there's almost no reason to have removed it.

• Brohoof 3

that she would eventually give up and not care and rather go home to where magic made sense.

We're getting into some serious character development and turning points there. I think that idea is enough to at least start a series with. Oh, please, give us an EqG series. Or, hey, I'm good with having Sunny in the mane show as well!  :D

I kind of dont want Sunset to permanently return to equestria.. but at the same time I sooooo doooo!

Oh, you have no idea how much I agree with you. Sunset would make for indescribably awesome anything in pony form! It'd be sad for her to leave the others in the human world though. :(  We got a hint of that in one of the deleted scenes.

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes worth!?! I only saw the "What more is out there?" scene.

That song could've been so much more awesome! Sunset's first part in that song... god damn! So good. It also added to the whole duality that was present throughout the whole movie.

And at the end of the song twilight is sad rather than happy. 

I kind of dont want Sunset to permanently return to equestria.. but at the same time I sooooo doooo! Maybe she doesn't have to be a big character, just a recurring one every now and then. These scenes were actually awesome. Plus she seems to want to stay at the end, so there's almost no reason to have removed it.

The duet was amazing. :pinkie: But the alternate ending seems quite different actually. As Twilight is going back to Crystal Prep and not transferring to CHS, if I understood it correctly. Personally, I would love to have Sunset return to Equestria. Even as an occasional character, or just seeing her around Twilight's Castle in the background doing whatever.

Now i'm just thinking of large amount of episode ideas that revolve around Sunset being in Equestria. Okay I gotta stop my fanboying.  :adorkable:

Oh, please, give us an EqG series. Or, hey, I'm good with having Sunny in the mane show as well!  :D

I have a feeling they are leading up to a Equestria Girls spin-off series. Maybe not now or maybe never but I know for a fact it's a possibility.  :twi:

• Brohoof 2

Okay I liked these scenes but I can see why they cut them out.  Sunset's plot crowds the movie up and it seems to not have enough attention to it to fully explore it. And that would also partially explain why SciTwi is now at CHS (outside of wanting all the human Mane 6 together and not shutting the door on Sunset returning to Equestria), since that would allow the writers to bring this point up again in a sequel where it would have more of an impact, as now you can portray Sunset as being the proverbial third wheel of group and desiring to find out what she should do next.  (Also then you have her Human Counterpart start mucking things up so that during all of this so Pony Sunset is stressed about thinking about what she wants and who she thinks she is before finding her willpower and determining that no matter what she was or who she'll be, her friends mean more than anything to her.) 

• Brohoof 3

I really enjoyed the alternate story cutscenes. Makes me wonder if the movie could have potentially been better going the other direction. I kind of wanted to see Sunset Shimmer go to Equestria! That would be quite the special.

They should of used the deleted "More out there" song instead of the one we received in the movie.

I completely agree, it was too good of a song to shorten!

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad they kept the option of her coming back to equestria open. Especially since Sci-Twi is going to be going to CHS, so sunset could always go back to Equestria and there would still be a main 6 at CHS.

Those deleted scenes were great, and it was an interesting sub-plot that should be used for another project as things were rather crowed in Friendship Games, and the way things went down enabled them to keep their options open for the future as well.

Interesting stuff as this provides a keen insight on the creative decisions made for this film, and in my opinion they made the right choice to focus on Twilight for now, while possibly saving this for a future movie.

I got mixed feelings about the deleted scenes, mainly with tackling Sunny's belonging to what world, and partly the ending, which could have used the farewell of the Shadowbolts, while keeping human Twi at CHS. Hope they touch Sunny's question about which world she belongs later

Is it just me or do the concept drawings make the characters look less... Like children show characters? Like it's not just me right? They are like more defined? Like their legs are not just sticks, but they have the curves that female legs have, and more defined female figures, more anime style designs. It's like they toned them down for the actual release.

Is it just me or do the concept drawings make the characters look less... Like children show characters? Like it's not just me right? They are like more defined? Like their legs are not just sticks, but they have the curves that female legs have, and more defined female figures, more anime style designs. It's like they toned them down for the actual release.

The flash rigs are made to look exactly like whatever the character designers come up with, while the storyboard artists do their own thing. As long as everyone can tell which character is which they have freestyle on the storyboards, which are turned into the animatics you see here.

I liked the cut ending a lot better with Twilight staying at Crystal Prep rather than the ending we ended up getting, I dunno, but her transferring just didn't feel right, it felt unnecessary and tacked on, especially if Crystal Prep would benefit from more, well, friendship

Yeah I noticed too, it's the same with the show's storyboard, which uses a style that's a lot different from the show's. Kinda makes you wonder what it'd be like if they used the Storyboard's style than the show's style we're used to. 

In EQG's case, I'd imagine it'd look a bit better with the storyboard's style personally

• Brohoof 2

The flash rigs are made to look exactly like whatever the character designers come up with, while the storyboard artists do their own thing. As long as everyone can tell which character is which they have freestyle on the storyboards, which are turned into the animatics you see here.

That's a shame. The characters looked far more human on the storyboards. But we all know how closed minded people are...

"THEY HAVE CURVY FEMININE LEGS, BUTTS AND DEFINED BREASTS. WE ARE SEXUALIZING KIDS SHOWS. WE CAN NOT LET KIDS SEE THIS! QUICK TURN THEM INTO STICKS SO THEY CAN NOT SEE ANY RESEMBLANCE FOR THE FEMALE FIGURE OR THEY WILL GROW UP INTO SERIAL KILLERS AND RAPISTS."

How is it that the deleted scenes seem to be much better than the actual movie? Don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie, but these Sunset/Twilight moments were absolutely amazing and Sunset's dilemma really seemed well thought-out. I really hope something comes of this in the next movie...admittedly because I really ship SunLight and these scenes were all awesome for it.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I have a feeling the fourth movie is going to be about that deleted subplot, with sunset trying to decide if she wants to go back to equestria or not, and the villain being either a human obsessed with Escapist fantasy (D&D, book or video game nerd) and wants to go to a magical world and sunset convinces them about how good the world is with all of its friends.
Or an Equestrian villain obsessed with escaping back and sunset being a foil to them.

Not that this fills me with joy: I don't enjoy the series being "Sunset shimmer: the series (Twilight can come too)" and would like them to ease off her in the next movie.

As for the deleted Ending, I gotta say, I'm glad they nixed it as it is TERRIBLE. The Shadowbolts gushing about how much friendship rocks is TERRIBLE given how little focus and development those cut outs got. They honestly are just "There" in the movie, and they half assed focusing on or developing them for heel face turns and learning about friendship. As such, closing on Crystal prep having learned a lesson is a bad ending as the focus and point was about TWILIGHT not them.

I hated FG, but I will give it credit in that it focused on and stayed with its plotpoint at the end well, focusing on Sunset and twilight's duality in a nice bit of closure., The alternate ending was just bad. Especially since they kind of just kick human twilight to the curb and forget about her when she's the entire point of the movie (next to sunset)

• Brohoof 1

I really wish they had kept a lot of the deleted scenes in the actual movie especially Sunset and Twilight's duet. The deleted scene showing Sunset wanting to return to Equestria would have made much more sense with her worrying about the magic in the human world and where she belongs. Man those deleted scenes were even better than the actual movie lol.

These are bitter sweet. I like the subplot, and I think that the content of these scenes are really good, but I don't like the execution of it, sans the duet. I thought that the film actually benefits from Pony Twilight not being in it, and allowed Human Twilight to expand more as a character from it. I also liked the idea of Twilight transferring to CHS to learn about the magic of friendship better than her staying at CPA.

Also, I loved the two Twilights meeting in the end, and I don't think that ending would have been possible with this cut of the movie.

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

That subplot should totally be used in the next movie. That has such awesome potential!! D: I hope the subplot comes back in EQG4.

This is what I was thinking as well, in fact, I confidently believe they dropped this minor plot-point in Friendship Games so they could make it a major plot point for the next movie, which, going by the name(Legend of Everfree) and the new character shown on the sole-piece of promotional art so far, it will be about Human world magic and it's version of Everfree Forest, this is probably where Sunset missing magic and monsters will lead her as she tries to find a new calling in the Human world. I also suspect her contribution to the scrapped duet with Twilight will be salvaged into a song for this movie, and that if the movie IS about Human world magic, we might finally see characters like Discord and Chrysalis not as de-powered Human civilians, but as actual magical entities like in FiM. It's a long shot, but I also want to see Hydia from the original MLP movie appear in Legend of Everfree as a way to show us how Human world magic works and where it all went, assuming it went into hiding at all, which is what I suspect.

Those were actually pretty cool.

It was interesting to see that at one point pony Twilight was going to be in the movie or at least more than just the stinger at the end.

Plus I hope Sunset's dropped subplot makes it's way into Legends of the Everfree.

To be honest I think the direction the movie ultimately went in was much better than the direction the deleted scenes took. Sunset's struggle to find where she belongs should be main plot of a movie (and hopefully will be) and I feel that keeping pony Twilight out of FG until the last scene was one of the better decisions they made.

The reason FG ended up being so great imo is because they kept their focus on characterizing human Twilight and bringing Sunset's arc full circle. Going in the direction the deleted scenes would have would have really hurt it.

Edited by FlutterDash4072