Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the show going to wrap itself up now?

Mesme Rize

Maybe they will show reruns till 2019? Think about it. They wouldn't need to pay the writers anything and they can still sell their stuff through the show, without investing a single cent into the show. It would actually be more cheap then what they have now.

Eh, I don't think that's the case, otherwise that would've happened after Magical Mystery Cure when they hit the 65 episode minimum for syndication. Other production companies such as Disney have already proven that method can work to boost profit.

Does their appear to be signs of the show coming to a close? Yes. Do I believe it? I don't know. The CMC story arc has been around since the show's beginning, it's second only to the main storyline. We saw the three of them meet, become friends and start thier story. We saw them learn about themselves, each other and the others around them. Now their main story has come to a close, following almost the exact same narration pattern as Magical Mystery Cure. But as Magical Mystery Cure proved, bringing a major story to a close does not necessairily mean the end of the series. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Brohoof 1

In my time, I've seen a lot of cartoons end, but they do end as do all things and MLP: FiM is no exception. Cartoons end,but they make new patterns for a person to make a better one.  Newer cartoons will come that will make MLP:FiM proud 

Edited by COBLoneWolf

Maybe they will show reruns till 2019? Think about it. They wouldn't need to pay the writers anything and they can still sell their stuff through the show, without investing a single cent into the show. It would actually be more cheap then what they have now.

I suppose that's a good point, but IMHO, bronies are a huge part of their revenue, which I think Hasbro knows, and while the reruns strategy may work with little kids, it won't work with an adult fanbase.

The team is actually writing a new story bible. This implies that the show will be over within two seasons (and a new show will follow.)

Chances are good that it will last 6 seasons and 1 wrap-up movie, possibly 7.

Keep in mind most "toy" shows, even very good shows like Transformers: Prime, only last 3 seasons. This is because a new toy line warrants a new art style warrants a new show.

On the other hand, think about how much FiM has changed since season 1. They may be just writing a new story bible to reflect said changes.

If this does mean that the show will be ending soon, and that a new show is on the way, at least that means G5 won't take too long to get here. And if it's being developed by the same team as FiM, then it has the potential to be just as good.

• Brohoof 1

With todays episode pretty much wrapping up the CMCs story arc, having a destiny of helping others to achieve their Cutie Marks, it brought me back to one of my favorite subjects. The end of the series.

With this season seeing Rarity getting her own botique and Rainbow Dash only just a few episodes away from becoming a full time wonderbolt and with Twilight probably soon becoming a full fledged ruler of Equestria, the series seems to draw itself to an end, with all of the main characters fulfilling their destinies.

Season 6 was announced and with the movie following after it, i think it's safe to say that the writers might think that this is the perfect opportunity to end it. Amy Keating Rogers is soon at Disney, M. A. Larson is also looking at other Projects for the future and Megan Mccarthy is getting into a higher position at Hasbro soon. It all looks very suspicious.

What do you guys think?

Maybe, but I'm not too sure.  :wacko:

I suppose that's a good point, but IMHO, bronies are a huge part of their revenue, which I think Hasbro knows, and while the reruns strategy may work with little kids, it won't work with an adult fanbase.

I never heard an official statement, on how big the part of the bronies is when it comes to the hasbro merchandise. I for one mostly buy fan made stuff.

I doubt it.

The show serves as Hasbro's main way of selling the toys.

They're essentially 22 minute toy commercials structured as a three act stories.

On the one hand, it is possible to see it end in the same way the Transformers 80s movie "ended" the original transformers. They killed off the majority of the cast to introduce new characters and therefore new toys.

While they're not going to be killing anyone in the 2017 movie, it's possible they'll be setting up new characters and therefore "end" FiM.

This could make sense from marketing standpoint because how many variations of the same toys will parents buy their kids.

Alicorn Twilight was one way to sell kids more Twilight, but by this point, the majority of kid fans who buy the toys because of the show, probably already have many variations. The 80s ninja turtle toy line begs to differ what with their infinite variations of the same four turtles.

Out with the old and in with the new. New characters. More toys. New focuses. More screen time. More motivation to buy new toys.

But, at the same time, creating new characters takes writers, time, and it could potentially not reach the same success of the original FiM. It'd be a gamble.

So it also makes sense to keep FiM on life support, extending it and stretching it out to ride this success wave until toy sales and show ratings drop.

Then they just burn the old and reinvent the show (G5).

That's how we got G4.

G3 was lacking. No one was watching. Kids were looking elsewhere for better entertainment and Hasbro had to end G3 to start G4, NOT for quality, but for views, which leads to toy sales.

So FiM can easily go two ways.

It could go on for way longer until it's just a zombie that has to constantly jump sharks to stay relevant with kids.

Or the production team and Hasbro can work out something to end the FiM series on a high note with dignity while at the same time finding a way to keep the MLP franchise going.

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 4

I never heard an official statement, on how big the part of the bronies is when it comes to the hasbro merchandise. I for one mostly buy fan made stuff.

Like I said, that's just what I think, based on how many bronies seem to buy tons of official merch.

You are right! Everything is coming together, mane 6 are getting their dreams accomplished, cmcs now have their cutie marks, diamond tiara changed! OMG :( I hope the show doesn't end! I would be really sad if that would happen! :( 

• Brohoof 1

I actually wanted them to get their Cutie Marks, but I still feel it was too early. I wanted it when it was closer to the end of the show's run, unless this is the end? jk XD

"Nothing lasts forever, for all good things it's true"

~ Victim-Avenged Sevenfold

On the other hand, think about how much FiM has changed since season 1. They may be just writing a new story bible to reflect said changes.

If this does mean that the show will be ending soon, and that a new show is on the way, at least that means G5 won't take too long to get here. And if it's being developed by the same team as FiM, then it has the potential to be just as good.

That's not how it works. You don't edit your story bible over the course of the show - at least, Hasbro sure doesn't. You make a bible as part of the pilot pitch and then you make a show that stays consistent with said bible.

Friendship is Magic doesn't have a story bible. Faust gave them the equivalent of a small travel brochure. Making a new bible means they're making a new show (or shows.)

Now, that new show may remain in continuity with Friendship is Magic and continue after or before it, like how Robots in Disguise and Rescue Bots are in continuity with Transformers: Prime, but it will be a new show nonetheless.

This is a good thing in every way. It means they can revise assets that couldn't be changed partway through a single show and thus could see only minor benefits from the rapidly increasing budget, such as the art style.

More importantly, the new show(s) can target a different demographic from the previous. Especially if more than one show is planned, this means that they will be better able to maintain both the original audience of children (esp. girls) alongside the bonus audience of bronies without risking one show being overwhelmed by either.

Wait, did they confirm an episode of RD in where she becomes a Wonderbolt in S6?

I think S6 might be the end of FiM, but we'll still get more MLP. Maybe a new generation of ponies or Elements.

I think this may be it...but who knows...there are many more arcs you can discover, like what about Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Applejack? How will it wrap up for them? 

They don't necessarily have any dreams, because they are fine with what they have. Fluttershy helps all the sick animals, Applejack is working on her farm and likes living the simple life and Pinkie Pie is making Parties and makes everypony smile.

They are good with what they have.

• Brohoof 1

That's not how it works. You don't edit your story bible over the course of the show - at least, Hasbro sure doesn't. You make a bible as part of the pilot pitch and then you make a show that stays consistent with said bible.

Friendship is Magic doesn't have a story bible. Faust gave them the equivalent of a small travel brochure. Making a new bible means they're making a new show (or shows.)

Now, that new show may remain in continuity with Friendship is Magic and continue after or before it, like how Robots in Disguise and Rescue Bots are in continuity with Transformers: Prime, but it will be a new show nonetheless.

This is a good thing in every way. It means they can revise assets that couldn't be changed partway through a single show and thus could see only minor benefits from the rapidly increasing budget, such as the art style.

More importantly, the new show(s) can target a different demographic from the previous. Especially if more than one show is planned, this means that they will be better able to maintain both the original audience of children (esp. girls) alongside the bonus audience of bronies without risking one show being overwhelmed by either.

Fair enough, but could it be possible that this is for a spin off that will run while FiM continues? Perhaps a CMC spinoff? It would make sense, now that they have their new "mission" so to speak.
  • Brohoof 1

Fair enough, but could it be possible that this is for a spin off that will run while FiM continues? Perhaps a CMC spinoff? It would make sense, now that they have their new "mission" so to speak.

Spin Offs also cost money and also brings alot of work. They would need to work on both, which brings in more stress, while also working on the fourth EQG and the actual MLP Movie. I don't think this will happen.

Just so you know, I totally would've cried at this weeks episode if I didn't find your thread and spoiled it.

Sorry dude. I usually try to avoid the forums, if i haven't seen the episode live and wait for a vid on Youtube to pop up.

I was thinking the same thing. When I was watching the new ep in equestria.tv, someone in the chat said, "This show must really be on it's last legs if the CMC got their cutie marks." (Note: That's not exactly what he said, but it was something like that.) Then I realized...

• Rarity opened her boutique in Canterlot.
  • Twilight has her own castle.
  • Rainbow Dash is close to becoming a wonderbolt.
  • Cadence and Shining Armor are going to have a child.
  • The CMC got their cutie marks.

Combine that with the confirmed 6th season and the movie in 2017(and what Hypno said about the staff in the OP), and it all ties together.

The 4th generation of MLP may end in the next few years.

• Brohoof 3

I suppose, but Friendship is Magic has run on for an incredibly long time and it would be very fitting to stop it at 6 seasons, given how important that number is to the show.

I doubt that the characters will disappear, though. The new show will most likely feature most of the same characters but in a somewhat different setting, and shouldn't be set more than ten years in the future.

Spin Offs also cost money and also brings alot of work. They would need to work on both, which brings in more stress, while also working on the fourth EQG and the actual MLP Movie. I don't think this will happen.

They could be developing this for some time down the line, or perhaps they may drop EQG after the 4th movie? Or, the story bible could be for a EQG TV series that the fourth film will set up.

I suppose, but Friendship is Magic has run on for an incredibly long time and it would be very fitting to stop it at 6 seasons, given how important that number is to the show.

I doubt that the characters will disappear, though. The new show will most likely feature most of the same characters but in a somewhat different setting, and shouldn't be set more than ten years in the future.

They would have to be foolish to not make any potential new show in continuity with FiM, considering how big of a following it has. And considering that Hasbro has been keeping every Transformers show in the past few years in continuity with each other, they very well may do this with MLP.
  • Brohoof 1

Personally, I severely doubt MLP toysales will go down by that much by 2017.

Going to come up and say I think you're being WAY too optimistic here. Ratings are dropping as are general internet traffic and Especially google searches for FIM.

There's a good chance toy sales are in a decline, and Hasbro ususally likes to pull the plug before things get to "bad" levels and reboot (like how they ended prime and rebooted it)