• Gerald Ford
    • Jimmy Carter
    • Ronald Reagan
    • George H. W. Bush
    • Bill Clinton
    • George W. Bush
    • Barack Obama
    • None

My opinion may be disregarded since I'm not even a US citizen, but according to the brief extent of my knowledge and the prioritization of the country's security and dominance, I should go with Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

Theodore, appart from the idolized stamp he left on his fellow countryman, was probably the first president to propel the state into the imperialist politics of the 'Big Stick' here in Latin America. Yes, it was cruel and ruthless, but due to such planning the United States are what they are today.

As for Wilson, I'm solely supporting him due to his insertion in the First World War, which allowed the US to delimitate the boundaries of the new nations within Central Europe, control most of the region's economy power, and practically removing Europe from the global podium it was currently standing on in matters of industry and life-style.

• 4 weeks later...

FDR. Simply put he was the most influential president of the twentieth century, which was the most influential century for the United States. The list of modern American presidents can be divided between those who came before and after Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Just as the very notion of modern american state economics has forever been impacted by his New Deal and state programs. By joining the allied forces(albeit in a forced way after bring attacked by the Japanese Empire) in WWII, he made the decision to aid in the defeat of the most dangerous and totalitarian governments the world had ever seen.

I'm not saying he was perfect(Japanese internment camps, ahem) no president was, nor should we expect them to be, but he helped guide his country through the worst set of crises it had faced since the Civil War. He was so popular he was elected an unprecedented 4 times. He suffered from polio but didn't allow his illness or political and social expectations to prevent him from doing what he thought was necessary for the benefit of America.

It could be argued that what was great were the circumstances of his time in office, not his indivdual character so much. I disagree. While not an American, I hold the view that the United States was made better from his presidency.

post-30550-0-31534500-1448492977_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Teddy Roosevelt.  Created National parks, gets shot and continues speech, lot of other badass things on his belt. 

Just a fun president to learn about in general. 

• Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, AppleButt said:

Teddy Roosevelt.  Created National parks, gets shot and continues speech, lot of other badass things on his belt. 

Just a fun president to learn about in general. 

Same! Teddy has always been my favorite president, he just seemed like he was larger than life :squee:

He didn't have time for all the formality of being president, when he was having his official presidential portrait painted, he actually got super upset at the artist because it was taking him too long and the first version of the portrait didn't turn out too well, that's why he looks so frumpy in his picture! ^_^

File:Theodore Roosevelt by John Singer Sargent, 1903.jpg ...

He pretty much said "fuck it, just paint me right here and now and get it over with" to the artist. It still turned out pretty well I think B)

12 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Any possible "good" actions of those in the past mean nothing in a dire and doomed present. 

OK boomer :catface:

• Brohoof 1

Honestly; I'm not really sure it's appropriate to have a favorite president. It's fine to look at achievements and all, but you can look at Washington, Lincoln, both Roosevelts, etc., and find plenty of faults and bad policies that would have bad repercussions in the long run. Not to mention it's hard to separate the romanticized quality of a president from the personal character of the human guise. If anything I sometimes question whether the idolized sympathies of Washington, Lincoln, and the like isn't entirely unlike how Lenin & such were idolized even with their massive faults (among other things).

Still, if I had to find one that was most interesting, that would probably be Teddy Roosevelt, but I also look at one of the least successful administrations such as Franklin Pierce. As much as we look up to those who left there mark for debatably good reasons, we also should look to those whose administrations were deeply flawed. We must take our lessons from both if we're to become better in the long haul.

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

OK boomer :catface:

My point is very simple. We can discuss favorite presidents of the past all we want, but their actions will have meant nothing if we allow the current course to continue. That's why I have very little interest in researching past presidents as they have no influence on the present.

• 1 month later...

This is giving me flashbacks to when I had to memorize all these names 😬

I guess my favorite is Obama since I actually got to watch the voting thing on TV and see him win. He was a really nice and well spoken president, too. Too bad the healthcare thing was a mess.

Without a single doubt, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

It's a shame we can't have presidents like FDR anymore. Haven't really had any good presidents since at best LBJ. Now we have the far right and centrists as our establishment. Woo.

Edited by Dusknoir