Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do Earth Ponies really Posses magic?

Mentis Soliloquy

Hey all again here is this weeks question, it has been show on a few occasions on the show that Earth ponies posses some kind of magic. Otherwise what did Tarek steal? 

So what magic do they posses (if any) and what form is it used for and what form does it take shape?

BELOW HERE IS UNRELATED (soft off) 

see my last question here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/139423-now-twilight-has-a-castle-and-a-official-title-should-she-have-a-guards/

my video response here: 

on a side note those who have seen me around may have noticed the name and picture change I wanted both my OC's to be represented a pegasus (Emerald Bolt) and her younger sis an Unicorn (Sapphire) so that's what I did.

see entries here:

https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/emerald-bolt-r8908Emerald Bolt 

https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/sapphire-r8929Sapphire

and the video for this segment will take a while as i'm on holiday next week and so no pc access :( but I will contribute as per normal. stay tuned for the VID if you're interested. 

Edited by EmeraldBolt/Sapphire

Earth ponies have a passive or non visible form of magic, I believe. This resembles the Pegasi's inherent magic ability to walk on clouds. Their magical capabilities involve their connection to the earth and ability to grow crops, trees, and other things from soil. 

I was thinking along these lines. I guess this question was a bit easier to answer than i thought. Whoopsie 

While I'm still on and thinking anyone wants to ask me to do a segment for them please ask away you will get full credit and if my skills allow i'll do the episode with you. 

and since this was a bit easier to answer i'll post a bit early this week and stay tuned! 

Hey all my vid on the subject for those interested even if this subject did not go as long as I hoped (oh well) be a while before new question.

Earth ponies have what is basically an informed attribute version of magic. They're stated to have magic by characters, they're shown to have magic stolen by Tirek, but They're never SHOWN to have any magic.

Pegasi and Unicorns, even if the show didn't hit you over the head with it can be seen to have magic, to control weather and do spells (unicorns). but Earth ponies are never shown to be, as a race, especially powerful compared to the other races or have any plant magic that holds up to scrutiny (Saying "the others can't grow things!" feels very hollow considering you don't need magic to GROW stuff, and the other races are shown to have LEGITIMATE magical means of growing plants: Sunset shimmer Uber grew a plant without problems, deer can grow and control plants, ect. Basically, anything the earth ponies can do with plants, they seem to be outclassed BIGTIME by other races).

There are a couple examples of earth ponies that are exceptionally strong, like maud or that little pony in the recent episode. But there are also tons of super strong Ponies of OTHER races, like bulk biceps, or how Dash beat AJ in a wrestling contest in fall weather friends. So Earth ponies as a race only seem to have a couple outlier super ponies, which is matched pretty well by the other races having super strong outliers too.

essentially, while earth pony magic, if it exists, seems to exist in such a *minor* amount as to be nearly innoticeable. Essentially, its like having a race of humans that can lift 10% more than normal humans, and comparing that to the other race next to them that have Jean grey telekinesis powers and saying the two are equally Super beings.

• Brohoof 2

I can see your point of view and do agree. Im just attempting to try and explain what tarek stole in twlight's kingdom. But I totally agree Unlikable Pony.

On many occaisions Apple Jack has been shown to kick a tree & have the ripe fruit fall into baskets.  I grew up in the boonies & I'll tell you it doesn't work that way.  No matter how hard you shake a tree, all the ripe fruit doesn't fall.  You hit a tree anywhere near that hard & the tree breaks (or you do).

In short, "bucking" a tree is magic.  Plus, the way they pick stuff up with their hooves (although they are not the only ones who can do that).  Pinkies' abilities are also certainly magic although Pinkie is pretty unique.

One way I've thought about a pony's magic is that it is connected to their soul or identity. I think of it as a sort of essence that comes from each individual pony. When Tirek stole a pony's magic, his or her cutie mark would disappear. I think of that as like their passions, talents, and many of the things that would determine their identity as just being drained of all energy. Their identity is still there, there's just nothing to fuel it. Unicorns and pegasi just have seemingly more direct ways to harness that magic. That's just my thoughts.

Dont quote me on this but I think I remember them talking about Earth pony magic about crops and such in the show. It would make sense, even though most of the citizens of ponyville are Earth ponies but arn't farmers. They might all just have better special talents idk :dash:

love the thoughts people I may have to make amended vid to add these ideas but after my holidays. Keep them coming though everyone I love when my questions get people ponies to think about these little things.

as all ways keep them coming 

It's been told countless times in the show that earth ponies do have magic. But in order to see it for ourselves, it would be beneficial to step back a little and start form the beginning. Ponies as a species are magical creatures (the pony races can crossbreed so they're the same species), and so we can assume that all races have magic inside them. From this start point, we can further observe that two races have "extra bits" - wings and horns, through witch they can magically interact with outside world. Unicorn magic seems rather intuitive, or maybe it's more like learning to move an extra limb, or visualize some complicated pattern - there are no incantations, magic words or accessories, the spells seem like complicated metal tasks. Pegasi fly because their magic allows them to, since their wings are way too small in order to work the regular way. Plus, they interact with clouds like they were solid objects. Earth ponies lack those extra extremities, BUT they can use their tails as a fifth limb - meaning they can magically control them with much more dexterity than other races, plus they seem to harden at will (you can't pull a rope with just loose hair). Also, they appear to posess (magically assisted) superior balance, witch makes them able to stack multiple items on their nosetips like it's no big deal. And they climb ladders. Their superior agricultural skills are mosty informed, but I think it has something to do with speeding plant growth and getting bigger crops, since all the races can plant and collect with equal results, if not better. And there's also "super" strenght and stamina to take into account. I guess because they lack an extra channel witch makes their magic act outside of them, all of it is kept inside, thus strengthening their bodies. Oh, and the good heart thing is a race cultural thing rather than magic in my opinion. Other races had it easier so they didn't develop the adamant work ethic of their earth cousins.

I hope any of this made any sense. My mode of thinking can be hard to explain at times.

• Brohoof 3

It's been told countless times in the show that earth ponies do have magic. But in order to see it for ourselves, it would be beneficial to step back a little and start form the beginning. Ponies as a species are magical creatures (the pony races can crossbreed so they're the same species), and so we can assume that all races have magic inside them. From this start point, we can further observe that two races have "extra bits" - wings and horns, through witch they can magically interact with outside world. Unicorn magic seems rather intuitive, or maybe it's more like learning to move an extra limb, or visualize some complicated pattern - there are no incantations, magic words or accessories, the spells seem like complicated metal tasks. Pegasi fly because their magic allows them to, since their wings are way too small in order to work the regular way. Plus, they interact with clouds like they were solid objects. Earth ponies lack those extra extremities, BUT they can use their tails as a fifth limb - meaning they can magically control them with much more dexterity than other races, plus they seem to harden at will (you can't pull a rope with just loose hair). Also, they appear to posess (magically assisted) superior balance, witch makes them able to stack multiple items on their nosetips like it's no big deal. And they climb ladders. Their superior agricultural skills are mosty informed, but I think it has something to do with speeding plant growth and getting bigger crops, since all the races can plant and collect with equal results, if not better. And there's also "super" strenght and stamina to take into account. I guess because they lack an extra channel witch makes their magic act outside of them, all of it is kept inside, thus strengthening their bodies. Oh, and the good heart thing is a race cultural thing rather than magic in my opinion. Other races had it easier so they didn't develop the adamant work ethic of their earth cousins.

I hope any of this made any sense. My mode of thinking can be hard to explain at times.

thunderous round of hoofing (applause) love it!

This question is STILL getting asked? Yes, they have magic. Twilight's Kingdom confirmed it.

Though it should have been kind of obvious to begin with. All ponies are inherently magical beings. I mean they get pictures stamped on their rears when they find out what makes them unique.

Earth Pony magic seems to be passive. Like Pegasi walking on clouds, it's not something they have to think about or something they have direct control over. They are just naturally strong and have a deep connection to the Earth and nature.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally, at least within my head cannon, based on the observations I see, earth pony magic is more instinctive and innate then the deliberate magic's that Unicorns and to at lesser degree, Pegasi  display.  But actually, considering their close ties to the earth itself, this only makes since the earth is solid and enduring, rather then in constant motion, like the wind, which I see as the pegasi elemental.. or radiant and warming, like light, which I see as the Unicorns element..  

Every pony has some magic, they just have a different way to use it.
The earth ponies have an incredible strenght, which helps them to do hard works like picking apples or moving a cart. So the magic is focused on their hooves.
The pegasi use their magic to reduce their weight, so they can fly without much effort. The magic is spread into their bodies for this reason.
The unicorns well... we know how they use their magic.

Well Pinkie Pie has her Pinkie sense and Weird Al Pony Cheese Sandwich has a similar sense to it.  Which is a type of magic.

And Twilight's Kingdom flat out said that Earth Ponies have magic.

It's just that they don't have really standout/interesting magic.

• 4 weeks later...