Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are malls portrayed as social gathering places?

Skullbuster

Malls are always portrayed as social gathering places or hang outs, but why? Malls are extremely boring! They are just a bunch of stores located in one building, with a food cort and maybe a movie theater

Every time I'm at a mall, I'm extereamly bored, one of my parents, usually my mom, will say some thing like "if your bored you can go hang out in the mall" and I'm thinking to my self "and do what?" I'm serious, what am I supposed to do? Walk around aimlessly looking at stores I don't care about?

Maybe I'm missing something, I mean, my friends don't invite me to things so maybe I'm missing something

Well I would imagine being at the mall with friends is a whole different and more fun experience than being at the mall with parents.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 3

Well, among those stores are:

1) Food

2) Movie Theatre

3) Game stores

4) Sofas

What else do you need???

This.

And also they are often places people recognize and know well, so it's easy to gather there.

When I was a teenager I'd hang out with my friends at malls and mostly window shop. It was something to do because we couldn't go out to bar or anything like that to just hang out somewhere that was outside of the house, and it's free. It's not too much fun when you're by yourself though.

Every place can be awesome when you're with friends. We usually go to a mall when the weather's bad and walking outside would be uncomfortable

• Brohoof 1

Malls are great spots to hang out at because they're easy to get to and everybody knows where it is.

Other thing is because you have everything near you, like food, drinks, etc, etc. :)

Well, among those stores are:

1) Food

2) Movie Theatre

3) Game stores

4) Sofas

What else do you need???

This. It makes it so you can decide what you're going to do after you meet up. If you say "hey, let's meet at taco bell" and then after eating you decide to see a movie, you probably have to get back in the car drive there. In a mall, you just say "hey, let's meet at the mall" and then go from there.

Also, the large concentration of stores greatly increases the chances of finding one with free wifi :)

• Brohoof 4

Going to a mall is alright if you are with friends or a special somepony. But if you are by yourself, well, I've never met anyone at a mall. If I am by myself, I am there to buy something and get out.

• Brohoof 1

I have to agree, I would much rather be at home on my computer. Even when my friend comes over we just play games. Mum keeps telling us to "go out and do something" and when I ask here what she says go to the shopping centre. Really?

It's okay with friends, I suppose. But I go there A LOT, and since I used to work in the mall, it gets pretty repetitive. By yourself, it's a load of carp. But with friends, I guess you could find something to do whenever there. xD

I feel that way too, although I would bring a bit of money and buy some food from the food court. If they have WiFi, bring a gadget and use the internet!

Other than that, mainstream media always portrays malls as gathering place because they think that is all teenagers care about.

I only go to the mall to buy stuff. My mall has an arcade too,but there is always people that go in and trash the place.Like LITTERALY TRASH the place up! And about half of the games are out of service>:(

Edited by Flutter Derp

Well, the last thing you said really sums up your problem seeing why malls can be a fun place to be sometimes.

You're using the correct term as well. They are mostly social gatherings when you're not there to shop. In my experiences at my mall, I was always with a group of friends I really enjoyed the company of. I was also still in high school, so we did your typical, "Lets bullshit around the mall today" activities. There's also an arcade at my mall, so it was fun to just mess around in there!

Your problem right now is that you're not going there with the company of good friends! You should try getting your gang of peeps together sometime and see what kind of good time you might be able to have!

I don't really hang out at the mall anymore, seeing as they've gotten rid of a lot of the good stores I liked, and it's all mostly clothing stores now, but I go every now and then with a friend or two! It's still nice to spend time with someone close!

Give it a shot!

Edited by Matackable

I normally don't hang out at malls, if i go it's to look and get items that i want, sometimes inviting friends along for some company. But i don't just stand there and hang out all day ;)

Going to the mall is where a lot of people hang out.

I swear I get invited to go hang out at the mall like every other day,

but I agree with you, it's really boring.

I guess it's how teens waste time until it's dark enough to drink ;p lololol

~