Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did Celestia rig the polls for Twilight to be considered best princess?

ManaMinori

It's been buggin' me for a while, but why in the wide world of Equestria did Sassy Saddles say that the Canterlot population chose Twilight as the most liked princess? It just sees weird. I Really, really, REALLY dislike Sunbutt, but I gotta say- given the events in the show, it should be that Sunbutt would be the favorite. Yanno, the one with 1k years rule, and protection of Equestria over the newbie princess who hasn't ruled much of anything, and has only been a princess for a few months?

Sunbutt had to rig the polls in Twilight's favor. She's been setting up glory for her from the beginning, why not now? No one payed her much attention or gave her respect, even as a student being peronally tutored by Sunbutt. Even after she became an alicorn. But now out of the blue, polls say she's cnsidered favorite princess? Gotta be Sunbutt's doing.

With Twi as favorite and not her, Sunbutt's gotta be planning to step down soon. Why else would she obviously manipulate the polls and come in behind Twilight as favorite princess?

Really? Let's compare how the Public see's the Two of them:

Celestia:

• Publicly lost a fight against Chrysalis
  • Failed to stop Tirek in any way
  • Been around forever, and doesn't appear to be changing at all
  • sits on her throne all day making laws
  • Raises the Sun

Twilight:

• Was one of the common ponies
  • Recently became the Newest Alicorn
  • Fought Tirek in a massive battle.
  • Defeated Tirek and restored everyone's Magic
  • Defeated Nightmare Moon and Saved Celestia
  • Defeated Discord and Saved Equestira
  • Helped Defeat Sombra and Saved the Crystal Empire
  • Is constantly adorkable

*Note: This is not how I see them. I like Celestia better.

The Public would Like Twilight better, because she's the kickass Warrior Princess to Celestia's Bureaucrat Princess.

• Brohoof 5

Really? Let's compare how the Public see's the Two of them:

Celestia:

• Publicly lost a fight against Chrysalis
  • Failed to stop Tirek in any way
  • Been around forever, and doesn't appear to be changing at all
  • sits on her throne all day making laws
  • Raises the Sun
Twilight:

• Was one of the common ponies
  • Recently became the Newest Alicorn
  • Fought Tirek in a massive battle.
  • Defeated Tirek and restored everyone's Magic
  • Defeated Nightmare Moon and Saved Celestia
  • Defeated Discord and Saved Equestira
  • Helped Defeat Sombra and Saved the Crystal Empire
  • Is constantly adorkable
*Note: This is not how I see them. I like Celestia better.

The Public would Like Twilight better, because she's the kickass Warrior Princess to Celestia's Bureaucrat Princess.

need I remind you of the treatment Twi got in "rarity takes manehattan", when she just asked for cutsies in line, and was told to shove off? Or how, in "Twilight Time" even Diamond Tiara admitted to not thinking much of her.

Who's been raising the sun for thousands of years, continuing life on the whole world, instead of sending it flying and letting all life freeze to death? Sunbutt.

Who's protected Equestria for Generations, from evil, after she banished her own sister, to protect her subjects? Sunbutt

Who went horn to horn against a Queen and her army, in attempt to protect Equestrians? Granted, she lost, but still...Sunbutt

Also, Twilight didn't defeat any of those vilains on her own. She had help. Why aren't the other elements favorites? They're all on the stained glass window, after all.

My point still stands that Sunbutt has done more for far longer, and by herself after Luna's banishment, unlike Twi. It would be impossible for anypony not to vote her as favorite princess, unless the votes were manipulated by none other than her, to take the focus off herself and further build up Twi, for her to take her place

• Brohoof 1

But all of Celestia's actions were either in the background or in the past. Twilight is Exciting now. Admittedly, I had forgotten about Rarity takes Manehattan. That's a good point that I can't refute.

So, assuming you're right, and Celestia is manipulating the polls, I don't see why she would do that. Changing the polls doesn't actually change opinion, and I don't see Celestia stepping down anytime soon. Why would she?

EDIT: Also, the other elements aren't princesses. they wouldn't be on the poll. But they would make Twi more popular.

Edited by Just Jo

Though Celestia has done more in the past and it was she who actually pushed Twilight in the right direction to become an Alicorn in the first place, it makes sense that Twilight would be the most liked Princess in Equestria simply because she's NEW. It doesn't mean Celestia will be stepping down soon (who knows?) but it's natural for the people to be more drawn to newer things or people. I'm sure they'll still prefer Celestia over Twilight when it comes to being the highest ruler of Equestria, but as far as popularity, Twilight is the new deal and has done more exciting things recently than Celestia 

The younger new rising member of royalty tends to be more popular and Equestria respects military might more so than anything and Twilight has shown to possess both over Celestia so far. She is younger than Celestia by probably several thousands of years, has taken down or been a part of taking down Sombra, Tirek, Discord and has the Elements of Harmony at her disposal the most powerful weapon in Equestria.

What has Celestia done so far? I would even say that Cadence might be rising very close to being more popular than Celestia since she was instrumental in Sombra's defeat and that she got married.

Edited by cider float

Twilight is the newest princess, so it makes sense that all the ponies would be obsessed with her for a good while. Cadence apparently was the last one before you so that might have been a while ago. I think it is the new baby complex kinda, everyone gets really fascinated by the new baby that was born just by default, this could be the same thing. @ did point out some really good reasons to why she would be loved beyond that. Seriously, that Tirek battle. Most adorkable pony do THAT? Granted she had all Alicorn magic but still, she became beat mode. 

full.png

Why does it surprise you? She is the new princess and probably speaks alot to the youth of equestria, which is probably the most important demographic that you need, when you're a ruler. Celestia and Luna are the same old same old and Cadence is high up in the north, so nobody cares about her.

There is no conspiracy in Equestria, to put Twi on a pedestal

• Brohoof 1

No, and I don't think it was that complicated as you try to make it out to be,

Sassy probably just took some polls around Canterlot and the results turned out the way they did. Simple as that.

Twilight's is the new Princess on the block, and ponies in Canterlot tend to follow the hot new items.

However one reason that Twilight may be more popular than Celestia is that Twilight appears to be far more approachable so that might make her a princess of the ponies as she does not have that aura that forces ponies to approach with a little more dignity and formality like they do with some of the princesses.

Edited by UnknownFry

Twilight is the Princess of Friendship. She was chosen for that title because she is good at making friends. I wasn't surprised at all when Sassy said Twi is the most popular princess. Good at making friends=having lots of friends=popularity.

• Brohoof 1

It's been buggin' me for a while, but why in the wide world of Equestria did Sassy Saddles say that the Canterlot population chose Twilight as the most liked princess? It just sees weird.

Apart from her doing more to save Equestria from Tirek while Celestia simply sat back and allowed them all to be drained of magic, I can't really think of any other legitimate reason for Twilight's popularity when for the most part, she simply sits around being unproductive, waiting for a map to tell her to do something. 

I could see it as her just being the flavor of the month, possibly instilling some hope into the Equestrian public that becoming an alicorn princess isn't actually impossible. Beyond that, I got nothing. 

sig-4156744.Face-You-Make-Robert-Downey-

Rigged? Really? It can't just be that ponies just love Twilight and she won fair and square?

Furthermore, why should we care that Twilight won a poll in the show?

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 3

need I remind you of the treatment Twi got in "rarity takes manehattan", when she just asked for cutsies in line, and was told to shove off? Or how, in "Twilight Time" even Diamond Tiara admitted to not thinking much of her.

That was in Manehatten and Ponyville. This was a poll taken in Canterlot. Twilight may now live in Ponyville, but she was born and raised in Canterlot, so I think to the local population that would resonate more with them. She was one of them, and she managed to make it big and become a princess. Celestia sort of predates Canterlot the kingdom, so being already an alicorn and in a position of power before the city was founded probably isn't as relatable.

Though if you want, one could say that Sassy either intentionally messed with the results or let bias take hold of her in order to make the poll say Twilight was most popular (it was said it was Sassy's own poll). Think about it, she would know that Twilight is a personal friend for Rarity, and much more likelier to be there and be available than Celestia and Luna for modeling one of the new dresses based on the princesses (not to mention more closer to a normal pony's proportions). If Twilight is considered most popular in her poll, then that gives her more persuasion power to get Rarity to make the one based on Twilight the signature dress of the line and get her to ask Twilight to model the dress, giving it celebrity status as Sassy would call it. This makes it so that everything falls into place to give the signature dress maximum popularity and demand, as following her "pattern".

She is relatable, she was/is still a normal humble unicorn. At least she wants everyone to see her as just a unicorn. She never pushes her Princess title unless necessary. She didn't fight for, or plot a way to get the throne. She is best liked because she knows what village ponies do, want, need because she was one. She didn't grow up Royal.

She is younger and still learning how to be a princess. She never holds it above anypony else.

I believe she won the poll fair and square. She didn't even know there was a poll so I doubt the other princesses knew either. That is probably a local magazine that put it together after interviewing a few thousand random ponies in each town/city.

No one payed her much attention or gave her respect, even as a student being peronally tutored by Sunbutt.

Indeed. Twilight has gotten nearly no recognition or respect. Ponies even have the audacity to shush her in a library. She's a princess which makes her above them. They should be bowing on the mere sight of her but they don't. Most don't recognize that she's a princess or they don't care.

Her popularity makes no sense.

That is probably a local magazine that put it together after interviewing a few thousand random ponies in each town/city.

They clearly said in the episode that the polls were ones Sassy Saddles took.

• Brohoof 1

sig-4156744.sig-4156744.Face-You-Make-Ro

Rigged? Really? It can't just be that ponies just love Twilight and she won fair and square?

Furthermore, why should we care that Twilight won a poll in the show?

Didnt you know? Celestia is evil and a vile abomination. Of course she rigged the polls. Btw, Chrysalis and Tirek are just misunderstood. They are pissed, because its all Celestias fault.

Dont worry. It's just another Celestia bashing thread. Twilight is safe.

Edited by Swifty
  • Brohoof 1

Ponies from all over Equestria loved Twilight so much they were willing to turn off their brains and rely on her to think for them in "Princess Spike," and before that you had a bunch of foals fangasming over her in "Twilight Time," so it's unlikely the poll was faked.

But then, every other time Twilight gets treated like a nopony, so its pretty baffling. Hmmm...

Show continuity not perfect! YAKS SMASH!

Yes, because it's not like Celestia has anything better to do like rule over an entire nation, or raise the sun or something.

yet she still has time to groom Twi, and be a nor mal pony/prankster with her subjects. Her life doesn't revolve around raising the sun and ruling a nation, just from the glimpses we've seen. She still makes time for Twi, whether mentoring or boosting her public image