Troblems

228 users have voted

1. 1. Was it the best thing EVER?!

• Hated it!
    • Ehnope.
    • Meh.
    • It was enjoyable!
    • OMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSH!

OMG! That episode was very relatable (I'm pretty sure all of us experienced this kind of scenario before)! :D

And we got to see some more character development from Shining Armor. :)

That moment when they showed AJ's Birth Certificate which we then saw her blushing, I couldn't help but smile hard. Too cute. :)

Also, was that scene where Shining Armor acted like a kid over his room supposed to be funny? It wasn't. And given that we know that this guy is going to be a father soon, it just came off as cringeworthy.  

you never meet my brother. He is 35, has a one year old son and is a total nerd and kid at heart. He himself is collecting comics and has nerd out moments, when ever he finds something that he likes. I would feel lucky, if i had such a cool dad like him.

So yes, it was VERY funny and really hits close to home.

EDIT: Also, if we should stop feeling like kids, then Walt Disney would like to have a serious word with you. ;)

• Brohoof 5

full.gif

Right off the bat, this was one of my favorite scenes this season. :D

Anyway, i think this was an enjoyable episode. Not as good as some of the other episodes of this season, but it didn't needed to be.

I was glad that Pinkie Pie didn't spill the beans till the end, eventhough i expected it. It can be debated that it shouldn't have been such a problem for Pinkie, but that was some serious big news and i can understand her that she can't wait to see the big smile on Twis face, because she likes to see her friends smile from happiness.

Shining Armor, who is the most underrated character in the series, finally gets some character development. Just like Twi, he is a nerdy geek inside and i like that, that makes their connection very believable. And again, that scene with them both in the room was just adorable. :)

I think they won't make much with the baby (maybe an episode or two next season.) But that's to be seen.

All in all, enjoyable episode, with a cute brother and sister moment. :wub:

• Brohoof 6

A funny episode! And actual focus on Pinkie, not just using her for gags... although they did use a lot of gags. Many interesting expressions, and Mayor Mare getting some much needed screen time. Some killer lines, too. My favourite is:

Rarity: :D Look at that dress Mayor Mare is wearing in the Social Report! Why, it's stunning!

Applejack: :wat: Uh... didn't you make that, Rarity? 

Rarity:  :proud: Yes. What is your point?  

Classic Rarity.

I like that they laid down right at the start what the secret was. Everyone knew it anyway, so it just would have been unnecessary to keep it from the audience until the end. Frankly, I'm surprised it took two seasons for the bun to be put in the oven. It's pretty obvious Cadance is smoking hot by pony terms, and since they're married... And I'm going to stop there before this post loses its PG rating. :P Let's just say a certain Daft Punk song comes to mind... two, actually. And one Bloodhound Gang song.

I loved Shining Armor's reaction to his room, especially when he finds the burned comic book! Spike, didn't you learn a lesson before about hiding it when you torch something.

Who else thought of this when they heard about Albert, the albino squirrel?

q8N2PTI.png

I smell fanfic fuel here.

All in all, a pleasantly fun, light hearted episode to contrast with the heavier previous offering. 8/10

• Brohoof 3

Hoo boy, the tension was high in this one! I don't really read season spoilers or episode synopsis, it makes each week more enjoyable to watch when I don't know what's going to happen. So when they said Cadence was going to have a baby I let out a large gasp, However, I remembered I had read or heard something about that before the season started.

Anyway, this was a lot of fun. Loved Pinkie's antics, even though I kind of found her struggling to keep a secret weird. They established that Pinkie was great at keeping secrets, so seeing her struggle seemed out of character to me. Regardless, I liked the jokes, especially Pinkie's "Noooooooooooooooooo" at the end.

My face when I realized Shining Armor impregnated Cadence:

761.gif

• Brohoof 2

Howdy all!

Quite a funny episode featuring the resident party pony. :lol:

GM Berrow wrote a keeper in her debut episode of season 5.

Kudos to Andrea Libman as Pinike Pie she was hilarious.

Its like Lesson Zero except Pinike going bonkers to keep the secret intact instead of yelling it out.

(Not like Twilight's CLOCK IS TICKING!)

Good to hear Andrew Francis & Britt McKillip as Shining Armor & Princess Cadence.

As for the news on the royal couple expecting.

As Twilight sez: YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote in the forums long ago that Candence is gonna have a foal & CALLED IT B)

(Most likely S6 the foal will be born so we'll see)

See ya!

• Brohoof 1

Oh. Mygosh. Super cute, fun, totally back to normal episode. I missed the mane 6 SO much. I was having Flutters withdrawals. I was really lonely for their color palettes, their voices, and their interactions with each other. Their absence was killing me!

Of course, pinkie is the best. She's so lively, it brings me joy to watch her! There were a lot of cute little moments, things like that I love, and things that hooked me on the show. Rarity totes made me lawl when reading the newspaper. I loved it, not so much for the surprise, cuz i dont like babies or anything to do with them, but more for the normality of the main 6 being together, the levity in the premise, and in pinkie's antics. I just loved it.

• Brohoof 1

It was one of the funniest episodes in FiM, period  :lol: .  It kinda bugged me the baby was known to us from the start though  :huh: , but the visual puns and shenanigans were the main course  :comeatus: . Featterweight spoke, the baby Cakes were as adorable as ever  :wub: , adorkable Shining....

• Brohoof 2

They had better make the foal a pegacorn. That's all I'm saying

Earth pony would be out of left field

Unicorn (form Shining's side of the family) would be predictable

Pegasus (from Cadance's side) would be predictable

Alicorn would be completely unnecessary and illogical, given what we know of alicorns

So them taking the pegacorn route would be a nice twist

Could go somethinb like this:

(Baby is born)

Doctor: it's a girl!

Shining Armor: It's an...

(Scene skip to after SA breaks the news to auntie Twi)

Twi: ALICORN?! my niece is an ALICORN?! How is that possible?! -looks at baby- YOU are not scientifically possible!

Cadance- actually, she's a pegacorn. Unicorn genes come from your side of the family, and Pegasus genes in mine. Like you, I wasn't born an alicorn but became one. This little one doesn't carry the earth pony genes of an alicorn. She just looks like one.

Shining: it's rare, but the doctors say she's actually a Pegacorn

Pinkie: awww, lookit her widdle horn and wings! SHE'S SO CUTE!!!

Nice idea but I doubt they would add a new pony race by renaming, but the dialogue about created alicorns vs born alicorns would still be a great topic to cover when this baby is born,

Honestly, I felt that this episode was done sloppily. This is the only episode of MLP where I consciously thought during the episode, "This must be a new writer." I looked it up and apparently this was the writer's (Gillian Berrow) first episode writing.

I felt like the dialogue was amateurish and way too on-the-nose, even for a show aimed at children. Stuff like Pinkie's flashback about her promise to Mr. Cake, Rarity's line about ponies who ruin surprises, all of Featherweight's and Mayor Mare's lines, the dialogue about baby carrots, etc. was way too circumstantial, specific, and out-of-place for the sake of trying to be funny, testing Pinkie's mettle, or alluding to Twilight's surprise at the end, and I just wasn't buying it.

That being said, I still very much enjoyed the episode, and there's definitely potential for this writer to improve.

• Brohoof 1

Nice idea but I doubt they would add a new pony race by renaming, but the dialogue about created alicorns vs born alicorns would still be a great topic to cover when this baby is born,

it wouldn't be its own race. More like a rare genetic anomaly, where the kid comes out with pegasus wings and a unicorn horn. Because we rarely see races mating with ponies outside their own race. Earth ponies tend to breed with their kind, Pegasi wigh their kind, and unicorns with gheirs. Shining and Cadance are an exception, so having their kid be a mix of both their genes, to where both appendages are visible, would be a good opportunity to shake things up.

Surprises are great. That's why I never watch a single trailer until the full episode is out. I'm glad this brought that message.

Since they're not making lessons here anymore I'll just make my own: Keep it a secret from Pinkie Pie first so she doesn't have a meltdown.

• Brohoof 1

Gotta say, this episode was crap. 

It's not exactly surprising when a new writer fails to impress, (which sadly happens more often than not. I really miss Ed Valentine...), but given that Berrow has had plenty of experience writing MLP content, I honestly would have expected that her first episode would have turned out a lot better. 

This episode was simply one-note and ultimately boring. Pinkie's efforts to keep her mouth shut really got old, fast. And it was just plain aggravating that the episode insisted on drawing it out to the very end, long after it stopped being funny or even mildly amusing.  :okiedokielokie:

And honestly, I get that this is big news, but come on. In addition to her being adamant about secret-keeping in Green Isn't Your Color, isn't keeping secrets actually part of her job when it comes to surprise parties? All in all, this just doesn't seem like something Pinkie really should have struggled with. I mean, it's not like she had to keep it secret for a long period of time.

Also, was that scene where Shining Armor acted like a kid over his room supposed to be funny? It wasn't. And given that we know that this guy is going to be a father soon, it just came off as cringeworthy.  

Yeah, overall, I just did not like this one.  >_>

The thing that she was struggling to keep a secret wasn't the party itself, but the subject of the party. You could easily keep a surprise party for someone whose birthday is coming up, but you wouldn't have any secret to spoil aside from the surprise itself, since the recipient would know when their own birthday is.  :P Also, secrets are different from surprises. She didn't make a Pinkie Promise to keep it, heck she makes a fine point of that in the beginning of the episode. I'm pretty sure the writer did that on purpose!

Also, apparently according to you once you become a parent your life becomes No Fun Allowed. I'd hate to be a parent with that mindset, lol.

I liked this episode. Wasn't one of my favorites, didn't really catch me in the feels or anything, but it was cute and got a few laughs out of me. There isn't a whole lot more to say about it, really.

Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake didn't have diapers... does this mean they're growing and old enough to use the potty now?

And regarding the foal, I HIGHLY DOUBT it will be Skyla because that toy was released ages ago and it would make no sense to introduce a character whose toy isn't commonly sold anymore.

Anyway, this was a nice episode and made me laugh a few times. I was actually glad they revealed they were having a baby at the beginning, because if it was meant to be a secret to the viewers, the rest of the episode would seem annoyingly obvious.

• Brohoof 1

Once again, the fact that information was leaked sort of sucked the surprise out of me. But still, even with this knowledge, the episode was really enjoyable for me. It wasn't one of Pinkie's BEST episodes, but I would say it's a close one. Really proud of Pinkie for actually pulling it off but I do see this is a Karma episode too.

Anyone remembers in the episode "Green isn't your color" how she was the main one who stressed to Twilight that she shouldn't reveal secrets? Even though things would have been solved quickly had she confessed the truth to both Fluttershy and Rarity, Pinkie was the one who pushed Twilight to not say a word....and nearly had Twilight explode.

Haha, in this episode, the tables certainly turned. Not so easy is it Pinkie Pie?

But seriously, bravo for this episode not totally flunking. *claps*

Edited by Princess Sunset

I thought it was a wonderful episode. Am I the only one who paused it to see if Cadence was showing yet? (She isn't!) Poor Pinkie. If it had been a true Pinkie Swear, she would have had no troubles. I like the Warner Brothers Chuck Jones moment at the end where she literally fell to pieces. I hope we get at least a few glimpses of Cadence with a bit of a belly. I think that would be nice. It would be okay, because decades ago, Hanna Barbara showed an obviously pregnant Wilma Flintstone, so nobody can complain about this. If they want to cover her up though, I bet Rarity will be just itching to create maternity outfits for a princess! 

• Brohoof 2

Right off the bat, this was one of my favorite scenes this season. :D

Wow, I didn't even notice Shining had discovered his comic had been burned! Since he was happy again at the end, I'll theorize right now Twilight was able to reconstruct it for him with her high-level magic. She probably learned a spell for doing that after the burnt book incident with Spike in S1!

sig-4162015.1c5c3a750e2c73477932246efe2c

legit. I tell ya.. legit...!!

Can u spot it

Either this is just a joke to tease the fans and have them go crazy.....or the fandom has more influence on the show than we though. Or this was canon all along before that fanmade animation lol

• Brohoof 1

Whelp, I'm soured.

A souring has occurred. My Little Pony: Friendship is Soured.

Ok, so, here's the thing—I have some very personal reasons why I hate this decision. I don't want kids, and being perpetually alone, when I found out that most of my friends were having kids, all I felt was resentment. It wasn't a “blessed event”. There was nothing good about it for me. It just meant that my friendships as I knew them were over. My friends don't have time for me anymore. Now, I'm not an idiot—I understand how life works, but I don't like it one bit. Sorry, I know that makes me some kind of monster. Oh well. Not that I would ever make this my friends' problems. It's my problem, and mine alone, and of course, it has no relevance on the show.

More objectively speaking, it really annoys me that everyone always has kids on TV. Can't one, just ONE TV couple choose not to? I feel like it's stereotype that's shoved down our throats, as if there aren't any couples irl that don't have kids. As you can tell, I have rather strong, biased feelings about this. (Not so objective after all, I guess.) It seems to be a stereotype that people are “supposed” to have kids, that if you're married and choose not to have kids, you're somehow being selfish. Many parents pressure their adults children to have kids, saying that they want grandkids before they die. Couples are often grilled by friends and family, being asked, “Why haven't you had kids yet, when are you going to have kids?”, and so on. This mindset really frustrates me.

Hence, the souring.

Anyway, truly objectively speaking, I suppose there's nothing wrong with this decision.  I can see it.  It's not like it will impact the dynamic of the show greatly. It's not like one of the mane 6 is having a foal or anything. And, if nothing else, at least it serves to remind us that

THE PONIES HAVE GENITALS AND SEX EXISTS AND CADANCE AND SHINING ARMOR HAD

Oh, dear. Sorry. *Get ahold of yourself, Justin. Go hose yourself down with ice water or something. Geeeeeze.*

So, as far as the actual story and execution of this episode, I'm sorry to say that running riot of great S5 episodes was interrupted a bit. For me, anyway. Wasn't a big fan of the Pinkie story at play, here. In my opinion, having such trouble keeping a secret went against her character. My reason for thinking this is simple: Green Isn't Your Color. If you've forgotten the details of that episode, re-watch it, and then you'll see why I think this story with Pinkie doesn't wash. She should have had no trouble at all keeping her lip zipped. Did not care for that one bit. Nope.

One thing that they did right was having Cadance and Armor actually announce the news before the little twerp was born. I figured they were just going to show up in Ponyville with the foal, no prior notice. Announcing it beforehoof at least makes for a bit more realism. What I really wish they do is show a pregnant Cadance on the show, but I'm sure that's out of the question. Would probably bump the rating up from G to PG or something, so it's a no go. I also really wish they'd have a scene depicting the foal's birth. (Yeah, I know, I know—you don't have to yell “kid's show!” at me.) I'm talking about something like Spirit's birth at the beginning of Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmarron. Not graphic, child-friendly. That'd be fine. But I know that that movie also depicts more violence than FIM, and thus is higher rated, so I know they won't do anything like that on the show. If they depicted pregnancy and birth, then I'd be much on board with this. As it is, I'm still soured.

*EDIT* Oh, almost forgot--I really didn't care for Pinkie shattering there at the end.  Waaay to slapsticky.  A moderate amount of slapstick is okay in this show, but I really don't like it when they approach Roadrunner & Coyote territory.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 2

Either this is just a joke to tease the fans and have them go crazy.....or the fandom has more influence on the show than we though. Or this was canon all along before that fanmade animation lol

Well considering the entire ep was about bag pony and armor going to have a foal, and cakes foals were in there as well.. this is super legit... derpy's allowed to have a foal tooooo