Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo NX Dev Kits supposedly released to 3rd Parties

Megas

Development kits already in the hands of third parties

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Nintendo NX development kits have been issued to third parties, and that the system itself will indeed be the much-rumoured combination of domestic and portable hardware.

Citing sources "close to the matter", the report speculates that Nintendo could launch the NX next year, given the current "softness" of the 3DS and Wii U systems.

The same sources have apparently confirmed that the console will be made up of a domestic unit which plugs into your television as normal, but would also ship with "at least one" mobile unit which could be taken away from the main system like a traditional handheld console. Fearsome specs are also hinted at:

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U's capabilities didn't match those of competitors.

"At least one" mobile unit would indicated that multiple units can be linked to the same base console, overcoming the Wii U's issue of only being able to connect a single GamePad.

That developers have access to the NX is perhaps not all that surprising - back in July Square Enix stated that it intended to bring Dragon Quest XI to the new console. Given that the game is also coming to the PS4, it is likely that NX will offer a similar level of power to Sony's console - it could even have an advantage over the rival system, as well as the Xbox One.

Nintendo itself is officially stating that it will make announcements regarding NX next year.

SOURCE - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/sources_suggest_nintendo_nx_is_a_fusion_of_home_and_mobile_hardware_powered_by_industry-leading_tech

Points of interest

- Comes with a console "One mobile unit"

- "Industry-leading chips"

TIME FOR SPECULATION 

1411676201464.gif

Edited by Megas75

If this is the truth then I have lost all hope for the NX. Nintendo needs to deliver a console that can get those third party games that Sony and Microsoft has with the hardware to compete. You're not going to get that by releasing an awkward hybrid console that runs with mobile parts. Nintendo may be sealing their fate if this is true sadly.

I doubt that NX will be released next year. Nintendo always announce a console at an E3 and then release it a year later. Plus if the development kits have just been sent to 3rd parties then they can't expect any games until 2017 as two years is the minimum time for a game to be released. 

Well I'm not going to hold my breath, especially since having more powerful hardware than a ps4 probably doesn't take much anymore since the ps4 was released a couple years ago. 

I would like a reason to get a nintendo console again though, especially if they end up getting some of those third party games. I couldn't really justify getting a Wii U just for Splatoon and a couple other games. 

Stating that Nintendo's next console could potentially match up to Sony and Microsoft's current consoles.

Well, we're off to such a great start. *sarcasm*

Stating that Nintendo's next console could potentially match up to Sony and Microsoft's current consoles.

Well, we're off to such a great start. *sarcasm*

I think the fact that Nintendo is not stating that they are confident it'll match up yet pretty much means even they are skeptical.

God damn it, Nintendo...

• 1 month later...

Not sure how I feel about this...mobile part? What? Not only this, but this is pretty spelling doom for the Wii U already. Nintendo is really bad with supporting their consoles in the long run. Pretty much as soon as the successor launches, the former one dies off instantly. Wii U is a third party disaster and it irritates me to see that they are now focusing on making third party better for their 'new' system rather than trying to improve it on their current one. 

We won't know how well the Nintendo NX would perform until we tried it out so let's not jump to any conclusions like that time the first Equestria Girls movie was revealed.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 4