Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming PAYDAY 2 - RIP Game

SpottedOwls

Wow.

I'm literally in shock right now.

Weapon rebalance makes every other weapon horrible, "sorry for our mistake have some masks" and MICROTRANSACTIONS?!?!?!

Is Almir trying to kill the game?

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/blackmarket/

Reviews on the game have already dropped from ~90% to 80-70%.

RIP Payday 2 

Killed by weapon skins.

Yeah, it really is a travesty, especially when Overkill stated multiple times that they wouldn't add microtransactions to the game. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't nerf everything else and make the skins buff the weapons. I mean WTF is that? Start off Crimefest, a period of free content, with pay-to-win crap. Smh this is the beginning of the end.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, it really is a travesty, especially when Overkill stated multiple times that they wouldn't add microtransactions to the game. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't nerf everything else and make the skins buff the weapons. I mean WTF is that? Start off Crimefest, a period of free content, with pay-to-win crap. Smh this is the beginning of the end.

My only hope is that the update seems to be too much of a parody of CS:GO and could be a troll update, but I'm grasping at straws. There's even rumors of the game becoming F2P.

Yeah, can't argue with any of this. Half of the guns now have very similar stats as others in the same class (Most of the assault rifles and pistols), some are overpowered as s*** and the rest are useless.

Balanced my arse.

And the microtransaction rubbish is a load of bulls***. What pisses me off the most is that the safes are card loot drops. It's bad enough getting money drops or experience from them (At least they have some use), now we have to put up with receiving items we can't even use without spending real money. I completed four heists today, and got two safes. Annoyed me to no end. And as Bruh mentioned, the buffs provided by the skins are the icing on the s*** cake.

I have to wonder if Valve have suddenly taken over development of Payday 2.

Edited by ForthEorl
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Yeah, can't argue with any of this. Half of the guns now have very similar stats as others in the same class (Most of the assault rifles and pistols), some are overpowered as s*** and the rest are useless.

Balanced my arse.

And the microtransaction rubbish is a load of bulls***. What pisses me off the most is that the safes are card loot drops. It's bad enough getting money drops or experience from them (At least they have some use), now we have to put up with receiving items we can't even use without spending real money. I completed four heists today, and got two safes. Annoyed me to no end. And as Bruh mentioned, the buffs provided by the skins are the icing on the s*** cake.

I have to wonder if Valve have suddenly taken over development of Payday 2.

Actually, Almir was reported to be visiting Valve, so he was probably taking pointers on how to screw us all over..

Edited by SpottedOwls
  • Brohoof 2

I don't play PayDay 2, but I saw the devs added microtransactions after promising not to. Overkill were one of the most beloved devs out there for their stance on gaming. Back 2 years ago they stated they didn't believe in spending a huge budget on advertising because they'd rather use that money to develop a better game, and it got them a lot of praise.

I guess this just goes to show you that anyone can be turned...

I don't play PayDay 2, but I saw the devs added microtransactions after promising not to. Overkill were one of the most beloved devs out there for their stance on gaming. Back 2 years ago they stated they didn't believe in spending a huge budget on advertising because they'd rather use that money to develop a better game, and it got them a lot of praise.

I guess this just goes to show you that anyone can be turned...

I remember that statement.

I don't necessarily have problem with adding skins to the game, but fact that they actually change weapon stats is certainly undesirable. I'm very much against pay to win, but what is pay to pay to win? If Overkill did indeed state they would never do microtransactions, then either they are liars or their publisher is forcing them to do this.

I remember that statement.

I don't necessarily have problem with adding skins to the game, but fact that they actually change weapon stats is certainly undesirable. I'm very much against pay to win, but what is pay to pay to win? If Overkill did indeed state they would never do microtransactions, then either they are liars or their publisher is forcing them to do this.

Sadly publishers think only in dollar signs and not the future. They do not consider that fans will not continue to buy sequels to games that rip them off. They only think about cash right now.

Greed in gaming, that is becoming such a rampant problem...Honestly, I am not against microtransactions, UNLESS they do it like this, basically forcing you to use them if you want to do anything in the game. I would prefer MT's over things like season passes, but some companies are even doing both at this point. Pretty sad.

• Brohoof 1

Greed in gaming, that is becoming such a rampant problem...Honestly, I am not against microtransactions, UNLESS they do it like this, basically forcing you to use them if you want to do anything in the game. I would prefer MT's over things like season passes, but some companies are even doing both at this point. Pretty sad.

I respect that opinion, however I come from a time in the past where developers did not have patches, DLC or anything like that. To get sales they needed to get the game right the first time and not rely on leaving crap out to sell at a later date.

A time where after you spent $50-60 on a game you got a COMPLETE product that you would ALWAYS have. You're only a year younger than me, I think you remember that time too. I understand where you're coming from here though, these newer gamers are so USED to DLC, microtransactions, etc that they hardly even realize it wasn't always like this. And us older gamers just get tired of fighting it because it's an uphill battle. Sadly these greedy tactics are unbeatable because let's face it: this has been a 10+ year strategy for them. They RAISED an entire generation on accepting unfinished games, on accepting paying $40 extra for DLC, on accepting microtransactions after you've already bought a $60 game. The fact that people will DEFEND microtransactions with crap like "MOST OF THEM ARE COSMETIC" or "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THEM" is just the developers putting what they want you to say into your mouth.

Maybe that's why Minecraft got so popular? When it came out, over 5+ years of free content.

I respect that opinion, however I come from a time in the past where developers did not have patches, DLC or anything like that. To get sales they needed to get the game right the first time and not rely on leaving crap out to sell at a later date.

A time where after you spent $50-60 on a game you got a COMPLETE product that you would ALWAYS have. You're only a year younger than me, I think you remember that time too. I understand where you're coming from here though, these newer gamers are so USED to DLC, microtransactions, etc that they hardly even realize it wasn't always like this. And us older gamers just get tired of fighting it because it's an uphill battle. Sadly these greedy tactics are unbeatable because let's face it: this has been a 10+ year strategy for them. They RAISED an entire generation on accepting unfinished games, on accepting paying $40 extra for DLC, on accepting microtransactions after you've already bought a $60 game. The fact that people will DEFEND microtransactions with crap like "MOST OF THEM ARE COSMETIC" or "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THEM" is just the developers putting what they want you to say into your mouth.

Maybe that's why Minecraft got so popular? When it came out, over 5+ years of free content.

Devil's advocate: AAA games at least are much more expensive to develop now than before and game prices generally haven't changed much; even back in NES days, games costed anywhere from 30-80USD and considering inflation, companies probably would have profited more from them. Possibly, DLCs and microtransactions are actually necessary for companies to be profitable.

However... For me, this raises two questions:

-Is that actually true? Witcher 3, AAA game, so far has 16 free DLCs including skins, extra game modes, missions, etc. and expansion to the game is rather inexpensive and provides many hours of new gameplay experience. Do AAA games really rely on DLCs and microtransactions for publishers to survive, or is that statement false and they're really only intending on milking people of their money?

-Assuming AAA publishers do in fact need DLCs and microtransactions to survive, would it be better for usual 60USD games to be increased to, say, 80-90USD in exchange for including what would be all DLCs and microtransactions and only adding on to the game with content rich expansion packs that don't exist much anymore?

(All this being said, I don't think Payday 2 is considered AAA game)

Edited by Luna the Great

Devil's advocate: AAA games at least are much more expensive to develop now than before and game prices generally haven't changed much; even back in NES days, games costed anywhere from 30-80USD and considering inflation, companies probably would have profited more from them. Possibly, DLCs and microtransactions are actually necessary for companies to be profitable.

If they need to bump the price up to $70-80 to be profitable I would honestly rather they do that. However you can not tell me that over $100+ of DLC/Microtransactions on top of $60 price tag is "necessary". ESPECIALLY for MMOs where you have a subscription fee.

-Is that actually true? Witcher 3, AAA game, so far has 16 free DLCs including skins, extra game modes, missions, etc. and expansion to the game is rather inexpensive and provides many hours of new gameplay experience.

Exceptions to the rule will always exist especially since the annoyance of DLC and microtransactions have not captured ALL of the market yet, but as time goes on, they become more and more popular.

Do AAA games really rely on DLCs and microtransactions for publishers to survive, or is that statement false and they're really only intending on milking people of their money?

Here's the truth: AAA games do not need those things to "survive" they are just afraid to raise the price of games upfront because people will complain. So instead they are compensating this way and in turn getting greedy about it because they are charging MORE than they probably would have just raising the price of the game. I would RATHER pay $70-80 a game and get the FULL completed game than buy $60 for the game, then $40-50 for DLC and another $50 for all the micro-DLC, and another $20 for the "collectors edition" with the extra goodies in game.

Just make the game $70-80 and give me the whole game. Because let's be real here: devs are making a lot more than they need to per game if you were to buy all the DLC for every game released these days. People are paying over $100 per game and even with inflation, something is wrong with that picture. While games are getting more expensive to make that means you should be focusing on honing in technologies to make the production costs cheaper, and get the game out to wider audiences. $70-80 a game is MORE than enough to be profitable.

Now let us take a moment to remember the times they said that there will be no microtransactions. The community seems to be a complete mess right now with people who are basically telling everyone to not accept and apology or compromise they may come up with to try and fix this. Hell, have you seen what's happening to Payday 2's reviews?

IgqxmMK.png

Now let us take a moment to remember the times they said that there will be no microtransactions. The community seems to be a complete mess right now with people who are basically telling everyone to not accept and apology or compromise they may come up with to try and fix this. Hell, have you seen what's happening to Payday 2's reviews?

IgqxmMK.png

Wasn't approval rating of PAYDAY2 95% or something before? 81% now. Wow. I'm really hoping all this negative feedback will result in them reconsidering this pay to win model.

Wasn't approval rating of PAYDAY2 95% or something before? 81% now. Wow. I'm really hoping all this negative feedback will result in them reconsidering this pay to win model.

Same here, I just want all this fussing to stop already. I guess they could go for what one person on reddit suggested by removing microtransactions but keeping skins as an infamous card drop.