Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

National Novel Writing Month 2015

Standard User

If anyone is stuck on what to write -- like I am at the moment -- remember that the first draft isn't the end all. It will likely stink and that's okay. :lol: The first draft is only the first step; there will be plenty or redrafts and revisions to refine it and make it better. So just write whatever and fix it later. Cause' ain't nobody got time for writer's block! I didn't overthink what I wrote or nothin', Jesus, I wrote for my life!

I'm sorry, lol. I'm so sorry -- that was horrible! :lol:

Edited by Jaxsie

I forgot (again) to update my word count for yesterday. Only 625 words. :( Today I've gotten to 699, and I'm not sure if I'm going to go any more (My new goal is 20,000 words, which equates to 667 words per day). I'm pretty tired and my brain is mush from homework.

Total word count: 3879
Words I should have by now if I want to reach my goal: 2001.
I'm a bit ahead of schedule. :D

How did this topic already get to 75 replies

Edited by Swick
  • Brohoof 1

Day 3: Just hit 6000 words (averaging 2000 words a day)

I'm going to hit 50,000 or die trying :sneer:

That's the spirit! :yay:  Keep up the good work! *high five*

My-Little-Pony-Friendship-is-Magic-image

Nanowrimo update Nov. 3, 2015:

Today I wrote 1668 words! :D It was a hassle hitting the word minimum, but I did it -- Phew! It's one of those situations where you want to write the best part of the story, but you're stuck on the road getting there. I can't bring myself to write out of sequence, lol. :lol: Luckily, I get to write the scene that will officially set the course for the overarching plot of the story tomorrow; so I'm excited about that! :D

Day 3: Just hit 6000 words (averaging 2000 words a day)

I'm going to hit 50,000 or die trying :sneer:

Throwin' you on the list! Welcome aboard! 

Also, 2000 a day? Dang, you're hauling butt. I'm jealous!

Does this constitute as moodsetting music or too depressing?

I just wrote documentation for a program; I feel like I can type for days, but I don't know how long my fingers and keyboard can hold up.

A great website I've just discovered is writeordie.com. You can set a time limit and a word count, and it will force you to write that amount in that time, or bad things will happen. Usually it takes me a while to write anything, but with this I pumped out over 300 words in 15 minutes. Super useful, just thought I'd share it with you guys. (there's also writtenkitten.net)

EDIT: THIS ONE IS A VERY IMPORTANT AND COOL EDITOR: editminion.com

Edited by Swick
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't gotten any writing done yet, but I intend to cram some in tonight and maybe tomorrow too (I'm going to have about 5 hours of doing nothing at school tomorrow, so I plan to take my laptop and finish my essay, may do some writing as well.)  I'm feeling skeptical about reaching my 80,000 word goal, but I don't plan to give up just yet.

Nanowrimo Update Nov. 4, 2015:

1970 words for today! Overall I have 7333 words and 22 pages in my novel :D It was a breeze to write today as compared to yesterday -- although I wish I wrote more, but I'm too tired to continue on. It's been a pretty long day. Four days into the challenge and I'm feeling great! Seeing the pages add up is really motivating.

Let's keep up the pace, ya'll! If any of you are feeling discouraged, please don't -- you can do this! Tame that inner editor and let your words free! The aim of the challenge is to write like a maniac; not like a sane person, because this challenge is anything but normal! lol :yay:

cheery_pie_by_joyfulinsanity-d72x2ho.jpg

In the past 4 days, I have only managed to write 2689 words. The problem is not that I do not have ideas, but I have limited time every day and need to squeeze in everything by then. Any tips?

Let's keep up the pace, ya'll! If any of you are feeling discouraged, please don't -- you can do this! Tame that inner editor and let your words free! The aim of the challenge is to write like a maniac; not like a sane person, because this challenge is anything but normal! lol

I will keep that in mind today, write like a maniac!!

Edited by 4april
  • Brohoof 1

In the past 4 days, I have only managed to write 2689 words. The problem is not that I do not have ideas, but I have limited time every day and need to squeeze in everything by then. Any tips?

Some days aren't as conducive to writing as others. While the oft-tossed around tip says to write at least 500 words a day (something that I really need to get back into...), that won't always happen. A few off days shouldn't slow your roll!

One tip would be to set aside 30 minutes ahead of time where you do nothing but write. Disconnect the Internet, go to your "writing spot," and write. Write whatever comes to mind. Something I'll do to warm up before diving in is to just start writing out my thoughts as I have them. I have stupid thoughts, definitely, but it also gets my fingers moving as well as gets me into the mindset of "okay, now is the time to write!" Something to try. ;) 

• Brohoof 1

The next time we have a NaNoWriMo I have to jump in on it, unfortunately this month is just too loaded with personal issues for me to have taken part. :( I'd love to ignite my spark for writing once again.

Looking forward to seeing the results though guys, I'm amazed at the amount of members who've decided to give it a go. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest! ^_^

• Brohoof 4

Well, for this NaNo, I've decided to write a Minecraft totally not a fanfiction fan-adventure, since apparently, those can be published now. (Who knew?) So, yeah, I'm writing that. Prologue finished, main conflict introduced, and protagonist introduced; I'm working on slowing down my pacing right now. Wordcount goal is 20k, but we'll see how far I actually get.

It took this long because I couldn't figure out what to write, sadly. Oh well!

• Brohoof 1

My tip would be to set a short time limit to write -- say 15 minutes -- and within that time write as fast as you can. Don't overthink it. I find that creating the pressure of a time crunch helps me to get the words from my brain to my finger tips. This is because having a clock counting down doesn't give you enough time to judge yourself and slow down your writing.  And plus, everyone has several 15 minutes blocks of free time throughout the day. Or if you have a solid hour, for example, you can break it up into 4 15 minute speed writing sessions. :)

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 1

Alrighty! I have a new schedule... thing... that I've been doing. 500 words in 30 minutes, break, then another 500 words in 30 minutes. Easy enough, should take me above my goal of 20,000 words, and it only takes an hour.

Remember to leave a day or three for editing! I know I'm going to have a mess when I'm done writing the actual story. :P

Words today: 1010

Words total: 6,061/20,000   (30% done already?!)

Edited by Swick
  • Brohoof 1

A quick update on the group project:

We've been having lots of disagreements over our story, so we decided to spend the next week or so just planning everything out and making a detailed outline. Our story probably won't have 50,000 words by the end of November, but that's okay with us :). We choose quality over quantity and would rather write, in the words of Scion of Arcadia, "a well-crafted story over a quickly churned one."

• Brohoof 1

Between this, studying for exams, and day light savings, my sleep schedule has really taken a toll.... But it'll be worth it when I'm done! 

Words Today: 2020.

New Total: 10,020. (Yay, hit 5 digits!)

• Brohoof 1

I have a weird way in which I sliced my chapters, I realised, and I still have my thing titled as "nanowrimo_2015".

Note: all wordcounts are rounded DOWN to the next hundred.

• Chapter G1 - 900
  • Chapter NT1 - 1000
  • Chapter GN2 - 800
  • Chapter GNT2 - 100, work-in-progress
Total: 2800 words

#IStillDon'tKnowWhatI'mDoing

Oh, did I mention that for one chapter, I ran out of ideas so I wrote in "<Add something here>" instead?

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk
  • Brohoof 1

Nanowrimo Update Nov. 5, 2015:

1619 words today! A little below the minimum, but only by 48 words; so it's not that bad. I'm trying to make the chapters a little longer now, but I'm having a bit of trouble. Nothing that can't be added to later, of course, but it bothers me a little. Anyhow -- enough complaining! It was still a productive day; so I call it a good day regardless :D

It's great to see that everyone is keeping at it! I would post a picture of a cheerleader Pinkie Pie, but I ran out :lol: But here -- have a Fluttershy for your labor of words! You all deserve it!

00565d9dff22ddaf4579ba49ca840852.jpg

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 2

Sad to say that despite my initial gusto I haven't accomplished much of anything because I'm finding myself rather unable to write.  I have a lot of reading and stuff to do for school, and, due to a lot of stress and personal issues as well, just can't get around to it much.  I may get some more writing done near the end of the month, but it's unlikely--I think my name should be removed from the list.  I had hoped that focusing on the challenge would help me and make things easier for me, but instead I think it's just making me more stressed that I've not written much of anything. :(

Maybe I'll be able to properly participate next year... *sigh* I really wanted to reach my ambitious goal, but I'm really not up for it right now. =/

November 7th Update:

Wrote five and a bit more pages today. Full plot outline developed, character bio sheets written, motivations sanity-checked. Transcribing my written work onto Microsoft Word, and then onto NaNo. Thinking of getting some cover art from one of the forum request shops.

• Brohoof 1

@,

Hey, don't be too hard on yourself. You may not be able to reach 80,000 words within the allotted time, but try to write what you can. Sometimes life just gets in the way and there's nothing we can do about it. I would advise you to shoot for next year, but your book doesn't deserve to sit on a shelf for that long. Just slowly chip away at it when you can and have a new idea ready for the next Nanowrimo :)

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 1