Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler MLP:FiM #35 - Siege of the Crystal Empire, pt. 2

Ashen Pathfinder

MLP-Comic-FIM-35-Cover-A.jpg

Okay, this might be a bit early as it's not even 12am EST, but...it was available on iBooks, so I couldn't resist.

And OMG what an issue this was. Just...wow...loved it. <3

• Brohoof 2

Still finding it hard to believe Iron Will being a bad guy

Dat cliffhanger doe

I can understand the frustration there and it IS a bit of a stretch, but I look at it as Iron Wills is desperate as his business is struggling and was possibly manipulated into believing this was the right path.

However I just have this feeling he might have a twist of a part to play later...we'll see!

• Brohoof 1

Still finding it hard to believe Iron Will being a bad guy

Dat cliffhanger doe

Yeah, going to agree there, Iron will is HELLA out of character here. Just... yeah, not good writing there.

Honestly, I think most of the villains that have teamed up are a bit out of character. Flim and flam are con artists, they want to make money, not hurt people for laughs or whatnot. There's no Money to be made in Genociding a kingdom, and scamming people after this will be near impossible given the weight of their crimes.

Lightning dust I can see being this petty and stupid, so she works. Chrysalis is OK so far, but she seems to have devolved in threat and mental status from being a Grade A villain to being a mentally regressed moron who can't focus on anything but really juvenile revenge against twilight. The fact that she's like "I won? I FINALLY WON!" at the end when sombra starts discussing there to be more to do makes her seem pathetic.

Eh, either way, not a bad comic, its pretty decent, but I feel its a definite step down from the last one IMO. 7/10.

One thing, I REALLY hope it doesn't turn out that the Umbra actually ARE secretly good and that Sombra's just going crazy and is an outlier, as I started to get that Vibe when Sombra refused to listen to hope explaining how he's actually good and his people aren't monsters.

I really hope it just turns out The umbra crystal is Yanking Hope's Chain HARD, because if the umbra turn out to be good I'm going to be REALLY dissapointed

Mannnnnnn this was too awesome!!!! I totally agree with everyone else when y'all said that iron will and the flim flam brothers were out of character. But EVERYTHING ELSE!! BY GOLY IT'S EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WANTED!!! Sombra is still my second favorite villain in mlp, has been since fiendship is magic and here, WOW I've never thought that those shadow ponies could have been who hope was talking to BUT at the same time... (they could be tricking her OR if they're not, then her destiny might be ruling over them in peace :0) let's not forget those umbrum have a huge connection to crystals and though she is a crystal pony they may be related to her. Either way it goes the shadow ponies need freedom, and hope hasn't become princess yet *-* (OMG OMG I just keep thinking that she might be the princess of the umbrum soon X3 X3 X3) I mean, she was the only pony who could see them *_* . But anyways, I'm happy for Chrysalis (you go gurl) she was so happy when celestia was turned into stone. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!

Edited by HyperMechaSonic

Oh, God, that image of Sombra running up those stairs while laughing like Bowser...

Fortunately...

...him both refusing to be as overconfident as Chrysalis and turning Celestia and Luna to stone made up for it.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, God, that image of Sombra running up those stairs while laughing like Bowser...

Fortunately...

...him both refusing to be as overconfident as Chrysalis and turning Celestia and Luna to stone made up for it.

In regards to what is in the spoiler...

...I really love how Sombra is portrayed in this comic. Aside from the laughing bit, it's a nice call back to the S3 opener. Especially here where he cuts off Luna mid-sentence and just gets to business.

large.jpeg

Iron helped smuggle the Heart to Hope and gave Applejack a light shove into the cage. Questionable, yes, but not too glaring (especially since he did something similar to both Rarity and Pinkie when they tried to block him from Fluttershy).

And Hope was at the Despair Event Horizon after losing everything, not to mention her seeing the Umbrum as her foalhood imaginary friends. Is it really too hard to see her as susceptible to a sympathy-shift like that? Plus, the staff said Twilight likely won't have an immortal lifespan, so even if Hope had become an Alicorn, she likely couldn't have just waited for Sombra to return.

Edited by A.V.

Iron helped smuggle the Heart to Hope and gave Applejack a light shove into the cage. Questionable, yes, but not too glaring (especially since he did something similar to both Rarity and Pinkie when they tried to block him from Fluttershy).

And Hope was at the Despair Event Horizon after losing everything, not to mention her seeing the Umbrum as her foalhood imaginary friends. Is it really too hard to see her as susceptible to a sympathy-shift like that? Plus, the staff said Twilight likely won't have an immortal lifespan, so even if Hope had become an Alicorn, she likely couldn't have just waited for Sombra to return.

Correction, they said twilight would not OUTLIVE the other 5. There's lots of loopholes there. (such as age magic, ect.)

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

Next Issue: CADENCE TO THE RESCUE!

Unfortunately for me, the ending was spoiled for me because someone posted it in a Celestia group on Fimfiction, throwing a fit because they claim it ruins her character. As someone who considers Celestia best pony, I have zero issues with this. 

Also, I can't be the only person who believes that the Umbra are using Hope. Even Sombra doesn't buy that they're peaceful fairy folk, which likely means they just appeared to Hope in a form she would be most comfortable in and are really horrifying monsters.

• Brohoof 1

Next Issue: CADENCE TO THE RESCUE!

Unfortunately for me, the ending was spoiled for me because someone posted it in a Celestia group on Fimfiction, throwing a fit because they claim it ruins her character. As someone who considers Celestia best pony, I have zero issues with this. 

Also, I can't be the only person who believes that the Umbra are using Hope. Even Sombra doesn't buy that they're peaceful fairy folk, which likely means they just appeared to Hope in a form she would be most comfortable in and are really horrifying monsters.

How would...

...getting ambushed with a stone spell...

...ruin her character?

P.S.: I seem to agree about the Umbrum.

• Brohoof 1

How would...

...getting ambushed with a stone spell...

...ruin her character?

P.S.: I seem to agree about the Umbrum.

According to them, the comics are making it a habit of portraying her as uselessly weak, getting her flank handed to her at every given opportunity in order to get her out of the way as quick as possible. Which I call bull on since the comics have done more to flesh out Celestia's character than the show has, ignoring several OOC moments in The Root of the Problem (I swear, every issue I have with the comics can be tied back to that one arc...) Granted, the last few arcs have been pretty bad in that regard such as in Root of the Problem (again!) having her and Luna incapacitated by Everfree vines... despite the Reflection arc establishing that Celestia can light herself on fire.

Plus, whose to say she and Luna are necessarily going to stay that way until the end of the arc? 

According to them, the comics are making it a habit of portraying her as uselessly weak, getting her flank handed to her at every given opportunity in order to get her out of the way as quick as possible. Which I call bull on since the comics have done more to flesh out Celestia's character than the show has, ignoring several OOC moments in The Root of the Problem (I swear, every issue I have with the comics can be tied back to that one arc...) Granted, the last few arcs have been pretty bad in that regard such as in Root of the Problem (again!) having her and Luna incapacitated by Everfree vines... despite the Reflection arc establishing that Celestia can light herself on fire.

Plus, whose to say she and Luna are necessarily going to stay that way until the end of the arc? 

Did those people somehow miss issues like Friends Forever #3, FIENDship Is Magic #4 and #5, etc.?

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at some of the Pages (uploaded on Derpibooru) I have to wonder AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO HATES THIS ISSUE???

First the Mane 6 were defeated so insultingly easy... Pinkie getting fired by her OWN PARTYCANNON (because the Flimflam Bros wanted her to test it), then hits Rarity and they both end up in a Cage. Next are Rainbow and Applejack and seriously RAINBOW WAS KNOCKED OUT BY AJ? :angry: The only Defeats  I kinda accept are Fluttershy since well she is Fluttershy and there was no tiny helpless Creature Lightning Dust attacked and Twilight because Chrissy had Sombra as backup

Second Radiant Hope betrayed ALL OF EQUESTRIA just to be with her Boyfriend again... even Obito Uchiha was a better Hero turn Villain

And last but not least the Villain team-Up is still terrible... the Flimflam Bros and Iron Will have Jobs that require them to have a good Image... HOW CAN YOU HAVE A GOOD IMAGE IF YOU HELPED FREEING A TYRANT AND DOOMED ALL OF EQUESTRIA?

If there is one good Thing about this Piece of Shit it's that it is responsible for the "Chrysalis laughs at your Misery"-Meme... now she and Cadence can laugh together.

If I had a physical Copy of that Comic I would do a Linkara and BURN IT TO THE GROUND

Second Radiant Hope betrayed ALL OF EQUESTRIA just to be with her Boyfriend again... even Obito Uchiha was a better Hero turn Villain

And last but not least the Villain team-Up is still terrible... the Flimflam Bros and Iron Will have Jobs that require them to have a good Image... HOW CAN YOU HAVE A GOOD IMAGE IF YOU HELPED FREEING A TYRANT AND DOOMED ALL OF EQUESTRIA?

Well, if she'd just asked nicely or something (regarding bringing Sombra back), she'd probably have been turned down -- therefore, she seemingly had no choice but her espionage. Also, reaching the Despair Event Horizon after losing everything + likely being manipulated by a bunch of evil spirits = compromised thinking.

Also, it's still possible for the villain team-up to realize their error by #37.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking it. It's keeping me entertained while also interested to see how it will progress further. Well, I suppose that's obvious since I'm posting on this thread.

I've suspected this as well. Bu then again it could really just be a tool for the writers to hint at reformation for Sombra. Since the alternate Sombra became corrupted in Reflections this could be a reversal of that. But at part 2 and with things finally set in motion it's too early to be sure.

Petrified Celestia and Luna... Bet they'll be awfully pissed up when they get released.

The fact that he pulled that off definitely boosts his villain cred.  Of course he didn't obliterate them like he did with Princess Amore and he may use them as some sort of trophy or weapon of psychological warfare against the Mane 6 and Cadance. Oh, and Shining Armor too I guess.   

I can imagine discords reaction...
post-30550-0-38647800-1447623281_thumb.jpg
  • Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...

After looking at some of the Pages (uploaded on Derpibooru) I have to wonder AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO HATES THIS ISSUE???

Just bought it and I'd have to reluctantly agree. Maybe hate is a strong word but...

What, the only reason Sombra fled to the wastes, got turned evil, and become a murdering psychopath is because of guilt at what might happen? One would think, if your suffering so much as that your bloody skin is cracking off of you that you'd beg for help, and explain what's bothering you, just to stop the pain. Oh and "Hope", by all means, stay with the guy that not only has been shown in the past to have lost his mind & started hurting others but do disregard the fact that he's currently, and in front of you committing show-condoned murder and hiring others to hurt others for & with him.

Maybe I missed an issue or whatnot, but the extra villains being there seem to be nothing more then padding and an attention grab. Remember these guys? Weren't they evil? Buy more issues!!

Sombra in this and, by extension, the whole of the story arc is just a bad attempt at drama. In my mind, Sombra still is the murderous tyrant he always was.

To quote MST3K: " They...just...didn't care."

On the bright side though, Chrysalis was just gorgeous in this! THAT'S the kind of melodramatic, cackling villainess I came here for!