Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

NewCalamity

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Realistic, historical FPS

Posted Image

It’s a realistic first-person shooter that has strayed far away from your everyday Call of Duty arcade FPS and caters well to players looking for a new challenge. It runs off of steam and revolves around the Battle of Stalingrad, the bloodiest battle in human history. It is the first ever FPS to feature the German Wehrmacht as the main characters and you can also play as the Soviet Army.

Everything takes patience, brains and skill in order to survive in the bloody streets of Stalingrad. Teamwork is essential as well as a steady hand.
True to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more, create WWII weaponry that has no equal.
Realistic tank gameplay also makes an appearance as you can be a crew member of a Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf. G or a Soviet T-34! It takes teamwork in order to operate one of these steel monsters so be on the lookout.
Experience what it is like to be a soldier in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history and the importance of a soldier’s state of mind and how it can turn the tide of battle.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I’ve had this game for over four months now and I’ve been a great fan of its unique play style and delivery. Its gritty realism and high difficulty level and learning curve appeals greatly to me. As well as my being a history fanatic and relatives in the German Wehrmacht I have quite a bit of fun with RO2.
This game is definitely not for everyone though. If you prefer fast-paced, insta-respawn, run and gun tactics then you’d best be playing something else.

Multiplayer is the focus and is home to many devoted players who are very good and can give new players quite the tough time. HUD is virtually non-existant and situational awareness is a skill you must hone if you want to survive long. There are also no markers indicating friend or foe so you must pay attention to the soldiers' uniforms to see whether he is a Fritz or Ivan!

I highly recommend this game to any history buff, realism fan or gritty shooter fans out there!

I myself, always choose the German Wehrmacht side!

Players:
NewCalamity
Zoop
Raptor_a22
TheBrokenToast
LowFatEnvelope
yehaaa6 Edited by NewCalamity
  • Brohoof 8

I think I died somewhere around eleventy zillion times last night. Not a bad game, I can appreciate the stark departure from CoD style arcade nonsense that it offers.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think I died somewhere around eleventy zillion times last night.

Ah, but I noticed you improving greatly! Situational awareness is definitely the hardest part for there is no HUD to give you eyes on the back of your head.

I've had instances where I'm using the same piece of cover as the enemy, only realizing when he puts a bullet through my skull. :P

The Kar98k is the best for beginners for it is used at a fairly moderate range and slows the pace down greatly. Giving new players time to wrap their heads around the battlefield and focus on the situation. That and those accurate rounds go a long way and can put down enemies very efficiently!

Here's a nice video, the user is equipped with a Kar98k that has a bayonet fixed. Despite fighting in a building he handles himself very well with his rifle!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJOEaHGRSA

Edited by NewCalamity
  • Brohoof 1

searched "Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad ponies mlp" in youtube search bar and got this....

was trying to find somthing mlp related to red orchestal

Edited by Fox

Here's a video that took me little to no effort to create for your viewing pleasure! It is a good example of what happens when you take a round in a vital organ; you bleed out. Slowly. While hearing your soldier beg for his life. Fun times right?!

• Brohoof 3

Okay, as someone who owns this game, there are a few things that new players need to know:

- You need to aim. Seriously, this is the one thing that is most important. There are a lot of new players who try and spray their way to fictory, and immediately get shot in the head by someone being more careful.

- The Singleplayer is terrible. The bots in this game are very badly made, and are rage-inducing at some points.

- Tanks are currently broken.

- Always play with Manual Bolting turned on. It is actually slightly faster, and allows you to melee in a pinch. Especially useful if you have a bayonet. Also, if you need to reload with a partially ful magazine, if you have bolted beforehand you will lose a perfectly good round.

- You will die. A LOT. Dont worry about it.

Other than that, this is an excellent game which provides some much needed relief from CoD stupidity.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

- You will die. A LOT. Dont worry about it.

Posted Image

News flash: My Kar98k has reached level 21 and my MP40 is at a solid 5! Huzaah!

Edited by NewCalamity
  • Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

As it was a F2P weekend for this i tried it out, and then proceeded to purchase it in under 24hrs, so i'll definitely be playing this :) Played some with NewCalamity yesterday. When the auto balance separated us he proceeded to make me a very 'hole'y man x_x Anyway i love this game xD Definitely going on my favorite FPS game list.

Edited by LowfatEnvelope
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

As stated, the game is free for the weekend. TRY IT. It is fun.

Yeah, sadly a ton of people with no interest in playing decently have joined in and begun ruining our fun. Played a few matches as the Wehrmacht today and it seemed the amount of friendly fire was so high it was impossible to be solely accidental. Tons of team killing going on.

There is an upside though, there's also a bunch of new players who pose as fresh meat for any of us battle-hardened veterans. They wander about aimlessly as if they are playing an average FPS when they immediately get a bullet through the skull due to their carelessness.

Can't wait for the traffic to even itself out and we'll have some new meat for the grinder. Target practice.

Posted Image

Edited by NewCalamity
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I can appreciate a game like this as I played the original Red Orchestra a little and although as hard as that was I was able to grasp the general concepts such as sticking to cover and always aiming as this is how a real war is so I still enjoyed myself. I like BF3 as it was as it tried going for realism while remaining fun and easy but they have stuffed it up too much in too many way to mention one being it leaning a bit too close to cod in some ways.

I've briefly played 2 last night when I had some time my first impression was that it is an improvement to the first one yet it felt different in a lot of ways. I'm going to give it some more time tonight as the first took some time to grow on me and I'll probably end up buying it as it's cheap at the moment and a decent game.

Edited by Dave247
  • Brohoof 1

I purchased this game as well. steam name is yehaaa6 if anyone would like to give it a go.

Added to the list!

Along with the free weekend, Tripwire gave us a large update, the Game of the Year edition of RO2, which is free for all players who own the game. This nice pack has a ton of new features, here's a copy paste from Tripwire's website:

“Action” mode – Featuring a crosshair, easier aiming and toned down recoil, reduced damage and open access to a wide range of weaponry Action mode is the perfect first step for players into the world of Red Orchestra.

“Classic” mode blends the gameplay innovations of the new game with the tactical and edgy gameplay of the original giving the fans of the first game exactly what they want.

Mamayev Kurgan – complete new map, featuring both close-quarters battles in trenches and bunkers, as well as longer ranged combat across the famous hill in Stalingrad

Refined and improved gameplay across the board, vehicle improvements, and way better performance and polish. We listened to the community and based on their feedback refined and tweaked almost every major feature in the game!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Tried my hand at Squad Leader and came in first two rounds in a row :P Still like the rifleman a lot though. What class takes out tanks?

Edited by LowfatEnvelope

(edited)

What class takes out tanks?

The Engineer who is equipped with an MP40, satchel charge, and the best tank-killer, the anti-tank grenade. The Anti-Tank Soldier is also a good candidate for tank hunting for he is equipped with a anti-tank rifle, which is a very large calibre rifle with 5 rounds in its internal magazine. It can be summed up as a sniper for tanks for you must sim for critical components and modules of the tank such as the turret ring, view ports, engine and running gears.

Played a few rounds as the Wehrmacht on Mamayev Kurgen. All I can say is 'oh my goodness, this is the best map ever.' It truly is, it feels like a movie, the entire time playing I followed the same Squad Leader in and out of trenches constantly going prone and ducking into cover. Slowly making our way through the Soviet lines, it was breath-taking and extremely exciting for me. I don't think I've ever had so much fun playing a round of RO.

Anticipating the time where I can do the same in a voice call with one of my kameraden ;)

Edited by NewCalamity
  • Brohoof 2

The Engineer who is equipped with an MP40, satchel charge, and the best tank-killer, the anti-tank grenade. The Anti-Tank Soldier is also a good candidate for tank hunting for he is equipped with a anti-tank rifle, which is a very large calibre rifle with 5 rounds in its internal magazine. It can be summed up as a sniper for tanks for you must sim for critical components and modules of the tank such as the turret ring, view ports, engine and running gears.

Played a few rounds as the Wehrmacht on Mamayev Kurgen. All I can say is 'oh my goodness, this is the best map ever.' It truly is, it feels like a movie, the entire time playing I followed the same Squad Leader in and out of trenches constantly going prone and ducking into cover. Slowly making our way through the Soviet lines, it was breath-taking and extremely exciting for me. I don't think I've ever had so much fun playing a round of RO.

Anticipating the time where I can do the same in a voice call with one of my kameraden ;)

Ah ok thanks :)

• 3 months later...

I always play as Soviet. Probably because I own a Mosin Nagant and used to own a Makarov until I sold it to my neighbor, a decision I've come to regret. Is there a particular server you guys haunt?

My favorite thing about this game is how they made it impossible to spawn camp. They knew this was a problem in every other multiplayer shooter and took steps to prevent it.

If I was to give one piece of advice to new players it would be to spend some time floating around in Spectator mode. Learn the sounds of Nazi and Soviet weaponry so you'll know when you're about to be surrounded by the enemy and to minimize friendly fire.

I think I died somewhere around eleventy zillion times last night. Not a bad game, I can appreciate the stark departure from CoD style arcade nonsense that it offers.

The first day I played this I was about 50/50 on my kill:death ratio. By the following morning (because I played through the night) I was able to run a ways, dive down or jump behind a wall, pop out and peg somebody in the head with iron sights at almost 300 meters, and move on. This continued for a couple days. I was tearing it up.

Well, I guess they got better too, because one day I started playing and was netting about 4 kills per match and getting capped about 20 times. This game can be very hard, like many other shooters, but it's fair. From what I've seen, most other player's understand the significance of class-based teams and use the classes as they were intended, and to great effect.

• 7 months later...
(edited)

This thread has been dead far too long. Anyway a few days (weeks?) ago NewCalamity, MrJK and I decided to hop on and play a few matches and record the ensuing shenanigans, and I said I'd put them in here but never got around to it until now. I hadn't played in awhile (as was painfully obvious), so I didn't perform outstandingly. tongue.png  NC of course led the way in scores as far as the three of us went, while educating us in history. Second part is the longest (sitting at around 30 minutes), but the others are 10ish minutes. I apologize in advance for my word slurring, it sounds horrible and I've been working on stomping it out. (Heads up: JK = Josh)

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Anyone here still actively play this?

Edited by ~LowfatEnvelope~
  • Brohoof 1