Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Rainbow Rocks so acclaimed?

Manman20x6

Everywhere I go, I see bronies saying that Rainbow Rocks is the best of the Equestria Girls movies, with a few of them even going as far as to call it the best thing in the entire franchise, above any episode of the real show.

I don't get this adoration. I thought that the plot was super-predictable and boring, and the songs were forgettable. I'd say it's by far the weakest of the EqG movies.

Am I missing anything about the movie, or do I just have a weird opinion?

• Brohoof 2

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it's the greatest thing to ever come out of the franchise, or say it's even better than some of the weaker episodes.

However, to a lot of people it was still a major step up from the first EQG's movie in very nearly every ways. The plot was better, the villains were much more sinister, Sunset's Shimmer redemption made her a far better (and more adorable) character and the songs, the main focus of the movie were what actually convinced me to give the movie a shot initially. Your milage may very on all this, but RR is largely considered the high point of the EQG's movies. Whether that changes now the Friendship Games is out has yet to be seen as far as I can tell.   

It was alright I thought. I know I really liked it at the time because of how they handled Sunset Shimmer's character. Plus there's a few songs that are solid and other people really like. I'm kind of over it now though and would say its passable at best.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it's the greatest thing to ever come out of the franchise, or say it's even better than some of the weaker episodes.

However, to a lot of people it was still a major step up from the first EQG's movie in very nearly every ways. The plot was better, the villains were much more sinister, Sunset's Shimmer redemption made her a far better (and more adorable) character and the songs, the main focus of the movie were what actually convinced me to give the movie a shot initially. Your milage may very on all this, but RR is largely considered the high point of the EQG's movies. Whether that changes now the Friendship Games is out has yet to be seen as far as I can tell.   

I've seen two or three people who described RR as "the best thing in the franchise". It's not a common position, but it does exist, and the general opinion is that it's at least the best of the movies.

My main problem with RR is that it was completely predictable. At least in the first Equestria Girls, I wasn't expecting an epic battle scene against a demon-possessed Sunset Shimmer. With Rainbow Rocks, it was obvious from the very beginning that the Dazzlings would be defeated in a big rock-off with lasers and songs.

The Dazzlings weren't very interesting either. They were just generic villains who want to take over the world. I have to admit that the way they handled Sunset Shimmer was pretty good, which is one positive point I'll give to the movie.

As for the songs, they were forgettable. I'm not a fan of MLP's music (*shock and horror!*) but at least EqG1 had "Helping Twilight Win the Crown" which was very catchy. I can't remember the melody of any of the songs from RR. But music is very subjective so I won't go too far into this argument.

Because in the first movie Twilight needs to become popular to win a crown and stop a mean teenage girl. Yay.

In this movie though, we get creatures from Equestria feeding on hate. With Sunset struggling to overcome her past actions as the main focus. This makes it so much more exciting and memorable.

• Brohoof 1

More like a desensitized opinion. One of the strongest aspects of the whole movie has to do with the music. The sirens are spot on theme wise as well as the rainbooms. A good example of how exact they are is the song/scene "welcome to the show". The sirens lyrics are subtle yet powerful, soothing yet false, as a mythical sirens sound would be. I dare say between that song and "Battle of the bands" I'd do't know which to rank closest to "voodoo" in shear terms of potency and risk. The rainbooms on the other hand are a totally different story. One can easily get into the rainbooms' tunes with little effort, head boppin, tapping, etc. Their music is on such a positive scale that it's a perfect match against the sirens. "Welcome to the show" is a perfect example on how each band influences the environment and matches up against the opposing band. It's the energy. Everyone can feel it and it just reels them in and refuses to let go until the ride is over. Just be glad this stuff is cotton soft compared to other things I've heard. I'd say that being there's more tunes akin to the firsts' "cafeteria song (helping twi win the crown)" and the latests' "Rally song" helps by far. If only hasbro knew the gold mine they casually tapped and abandoned. 

Because in the first movie Twilight needs to become popular to win a crown and stop a mean teenage girl. Yay.

In this movie though, we get creatures from Equestria feeding on hate. With Sunset struggling to overcome her past actions as the main focus. This makes it so much more exciting and memorable.

I have to admit, Sunset Shimmer's redemption was handled very well. But the Dazzlings were not very interesting in my opinion. Their motive was just taking over the world. Yawn.

ANOTHER one of these threads?

I looked a few pages back and didn't see any other threads asking this question. Do you have a link to one of them?

You are suggesting an outlier to prove the exception. There are those that believe Howard the Duck is a work of art ... but they don't fit the majority. Yes a few in the community profess RR surpasses the general quality of the show, but that isn't the mainstream view.

So in the end ... why do an anecdotally suggested amount fans say RR is the best thing out there? Personal taste.

It is a decent romp, likely considered the best outing in the EqGverse, and has some worthy moments, but acclaimed is a stretch.

• Brohoof 2

You are suggesting an outlier to prove the exception. There are those that believe Howard the Duck is a work of art ... but they don't fit the majority. Yes a few in the community profess RR surpasses the general quality of the show, but that isn't the mainstream view.

So in the end ... why do an anecdotally suggested amount fans say RR is the best thing out there? Personal taste.

It is a decent romp, likely considered the best outing in the EqGverse, and has some worthy moments, but acclaimed is a stretch.

Almost everyone on this site will agree that RR is the best of the movies. I mentioned the few who call it the best in the whole franchise mostly to illustrate how it's nearly universally acclaimed. I wasn't suggesting that it's a common position.

The topic I was hoping to discuss was what makes RR the best-received movie, since I thought it was the weakest one.

I have to admit, Sunset Shimmer's redemption was handled very well. But the Dazzlings were not very interesting in my opinion. Their motive was just taking over the world. Yawn.

Sunset's redemption was amazing and very satisfying.

And yes. That is pretty much what every villian does Im afraid.

For me, none of the Equestria Girls films are particularly good, but Rainbow Rocks was the most stylish and had the best music (since the villains are musical villains), and we get to see Sunset Shimmer football-tackle Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 2

And yes. That is pretty much what every villian does Im afraid.

In EqG1, the "Take over the world" motivation came unexpectedly, which made it more interesting.

In FG, Midnight Sparkle's motive was not world domination. She just wanted to satisfy her curiosity.

RR had the most generic and boring villains in the franchise.

• Brohoof 1

Almost everyone on this site will agree that RR is the best of the movies. I mentioned the few who call it the best in the whole franchise mostly to illustrate how it's nearly universally acclaimed. I wasn't suggesting that it's a common position.

The topic I was hoping to discuss was what makes RR the best-received movie, since I thought it was the weakest one.

Well, the best of a slightly better than average series is hardly 'acclaimed' by the typical colloquial use. It was better received for a few reasons as cited by members in the actual topic above this one ... (The data ... she be there for the plundering captain).

Music was better received. The story appeared to be more magically focused, people gravitated to the redemption story, and the animation effects were better overall with some well crafted shots.

• Brohoof 1

In EqG1, the "Take over the world" motivation came unexpectedly, which made it more interesting.

In FG, Midnight Sparkle's motive was not world domination. She just wanted to satisfy her curiosity.

RR had the most generic and boring villains in the franchis

e.

I guess that's true.

But I still prefer their singing.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the best of a slightly better than average series is hardly 'acclaimed' by the typical colloquial use. It was better received for a few reasons as cited by members in the actual topic above this one ... (The data ... she be there for the plundering captain).

Music was better received. The story appeared to be more magically focused, people gravitated to the redemption story, and the animation effects were better overall with some well crafted shots.

I guess a better question would have been "Why is Rainbow Rocks generally favored over Friendship Games?" Because FG was by far the best of the movies in my opinion, having the most interesting antagonist (I consider Twilight Sparkle to be the main antagonist of FG).

Rainbow Rocks isn't a good movie. There are still way too many problems to cover, like poor comedy (including rubbing in SS's evil plenty of times), flanderization of the HuMane Five, flat villains, and Sunset's character being reset in order for her to redeem. But compared to the first film, it's a major improvement.

1. The motives of the villains are clichéd, but the method isn't nowhere as stupid as Sunset's wish to use a teenage army to invade Equestria. (Gee, good luck with that. I can't wait to see a plan fall for a major ass-kicking.) They fed on hate, and it built up while using everyone as pawns for their bid for conquest.
  2. The plot is far more simpler. In EQG1, several subplots ended as quickly as they started. No tension mounted, and whatever tension was there dissipated thanks to the characters acting like idiots. RR's plot was far more straightforward, and the tension build felt far more genuine thanks to the Mane Six's desperation and reliance on Twilight's intelligence to create a counterspell.
  3. The animation in the first film was stilted and looked unnatural. In RR, DHX improved the animation drastically thanks to better movement of the characters (including more subtle details like the bounce from the walk), composition/lighting, and better attention to detail.
  4. The music in EQG1 was very same-y; Win the Crown is the most exciting, but the rest had the same tune with differences in instrument sound and theme, and most of them were confined to montages. In Rainbow Rocks, without them, you can't advance the plot, and there was a much better variety in music, tone, and speed.

This is especially the case with Welcome to the Show. You had the sinister Sirens completing their æons-long journey versus the Mane Six and their quest to defeat them. The message of trial and triumph from Sunset during the climax helped complete part of her journey for redemption.
  5. Unlike EQG1, no Diabolus or Deus Ex Machina to end the films.
  • Brohoof 3

Rainbow Rocks strikes a chord *punny* with me because it showed the struggles of actually being in a battle of the bands, albeit to an exaggerated and magical extent. It can be stressful man knowing that even though the crowd liked what they heard of you, you still hear where you messed up. Those little incidences definitely build up.

On a side note Applejack plays the bass, I play the bass. . . That revelation made me feel closer to AJ.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Rocks is great... but I believe the MAIN reason why some people give it the ultimate title of being the best is because of the improvements.

Whenever you get a pretty weak movie like the first Equestria Girls....people will lower their expectations for the next one. If the next movie exceed their expectations, then naturally they will have their minds blown and consider the sequal the best.

The animation had improved, and The Dazzlings songs and execution as villains surpassed Sunset's role as a villain in the first movie. Which is why people are super fond of them without realizing they are basically a cross between the Hocus Pocus witches with Monster High outfits and hair.

I do still like them though, but I believe this I'd why RR is considered the best among many. I made a discussion countering this and pretty much said the same thing with the movie being predictable.

Another reason could be because of the sprinkled fan service. You see Octavia, and Vinyl played a key role...not to mentioned Trixie being in the mix.

And lastly, the finale. The scene lasted more than just 5 minutes when it came to a boss fight. Put a fairly good boss fight together with a battle song and you have yourself a winner. Pluuuus SUnset as a character was improved too.

I dont think RR is the best, but i can understand why others may think so.

Edited by Princess Sunset
  • Brohoof 2

Rainbow Rocks is great... but I believe the MAIN reason why some people give it the ultimate title of being the best is because of the improvements.

Whenever you get a pretty weak movie like the first Equestria Girls....people will lower their expectations for the next one. If the next movie exceed their expectations, then naturally they will have their minds blown and consider the sequal the best.

The animation had improved, and The Dazzlings songs and execution as villains surpassed Sunset's role as a villain in the first movie. Which is why people are super fond of them without realizing they are basically a cross between the Hocus Pocus witches with Monster High outfits and hair.

I do still like them though, but I believe this I'd why RR is considered the best among many. I made a discussion countering this and pretty much said the same thing with the movie being predictable.

Another reason could be because of the sprinkled fan service. You see Octavia, and Vinyl played a key role...not to mentioned Trixie being in the mix.

And lastly, the finale. The scene lasted more than just 5 minutes when it came to a boss fight. Put a fairly good boss fight together with a battle song and you have yourself a winner. Pluuuus SUnset as a character was improved too.

I dont think RR is the best, but i can understand why others may think so.

If I had to choose who puts the most effort into their posts every time Id pick you :pinkie:

And, as usual, I agree on every reason you provided and why the film was better received.

Speaking of fan service, we got to hear Rainbow have a solo for the time!:wub: :wub:

meh..I agree with Princess Sunset.

In Rainbow Rocks, the antagonists (the Dazzlings) had a certain charisma and they were well "characterized" and more powerful. Also in Rainbow Rocks, Sunset Shimmer must still fight against the strong prejudice by students.
And finally there are characters like Vinyl and Trixie, who are not just "background shadows", but they have a small role in the movie (and shorts).
  • Brohoof 1

If I had to choose who puts the most effort into their posts every time Id pick you  :pinkie:

And, as usual, I agree on every reason you provided and why the film was better received.

Speaking of fan service, we got to hear Rainbow have a solo for the time! :wub:  :wub:

Awww thanks. But trust me, I don't put a lot of effort into them. I just have a lot to say that's all ;)

meh..I agree with Princess Sunset.

In Rainbow Rocks, the antagonists (the Dazzlings) had a certain charisma and they were well "characterized" and more powerful. Also in Rainbow Rocks, Sunset Shimmer must still fight against the strong prejudice by students.
And finally there are characters like Vinyl and Trixie, who are not just "background shadows", but they have a small role in the movie (and shorts).

And yeah pretty much. 

• Brohoof 1

I think it's because the villains in Rainbow Rocks were much more threatening than a typical minor antagonist. Plus the overall story of Sunset trying to atone for what she had done and the students not accepting her was told extremely well.