Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Least favorite level in your favorite games?

VengefulStrudel

So there you are, playing your favorite video game, just relaxing and having a good time - until that one level. It may be because it's too hard, too confusing, too cryptic, or just really underwhelming. So, what's your favorite video game (or games), and what's your least favorite level in it?

Mine has to be Slippery Climb in Crash Bandicoot. For me, that level makes the game go from "increasingly challenging" to "gauntlet of death". Its music will forever haunt me. :eww:

It has the hardest platforming in the game and only one checkpoint through it, two if you count the boss round thingy. If that wasn't enough of a challenge, add the Gem into the equation - clearing all boxes without losing a life. And to top it all off, the closest save point is 2 levels ahead. So, if you lose all lives without getting to it first, it's back to Slippery Climb for ya.

Slippery Climb in Crash Bandicoot.

Oh gosh, that level was painful to complete. The first Crash is definitely an unforgiving game, but Slippery Climb just had to take that difficulty level one step beyond.  :eww:

Want to know something interesting? There was originally a level similar to Slippery Climb called Stormy Ascent, and it turns out it was even harder than Slippery Climb. The programmers had to remove it during the process of making the game because of how difficult it was, but with cheat codes you can actually play this removed level. Let's just say that I'm glad that Stormy Ascent isn't in the final version of this game, haha.

Edited by Duchess
  • Brohoof 1

There was originally a level similar to Slippery Climb called Stormy Ascent, and it turns out it was even harder than Slippery Climb.

The thought of Slippery Climb being the "easier level" of the two scares me to think what's in the other one. :P Saying "I'm glad it didn't make it in" is an understatement, hehe.

• Brohoof 1

My favorites don't really have "levels", but you get the point.

• Need for Speed Carbon: Golden Canyon Drift Challenge - The drift on Lookout Point with the Lamborghini is impossibru, you need to be a drifting god in order to beat that challenge. >_> (Not to mention manual transmission as it helps too)
  • Need for Speed Underground 2: Any drag with traffic. Also the Jackson Heights drifts... but at least they have a glitch which makes things easeir. :^)
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005): Any drag, regardless of traffic or opponents. It's just impossibru.
  • Ignition (some 1997 game that works on Windows 10): Pro and Mirror difficulties (before unlocking the Ignition car, 2fast2furious)
Edited by TimeyMarey007

Ground Scaravich stage from Megaman X6

Not only is it home to the worst boss and the worst song in the series, but it's also one of the worst stages designed in the series(Blaze Heatnix's stage is awful too, but at least it has an awesome boss and an awesome theme). All four segments of the level are generated at random, often being impossible without armor or with the Shadow Armor, and are filled with nothing but Nightmares, the worst enemies in the game.

Honorable mention goes to the Wiegarf and Velius battle in FFT. If you save before the fight(Riovantes Castle is 3 parts, and this is the second one, AND you can't leave till your done), are unprepared, and you forget to make a backup save file, then you can kiss your progress goodbye, because these two bosses will absolutely murder you

Edited by Coop
  • Brohoof 1

The quest in Saints Row 4, when you have to visit every single store in the game and hack them (Hacking is one of those puzzles where you have different shaped tube thingies, and you have to connect one thing to the other), and you have to run all over the entire city going to shops and doing the same puzzle. Over and Over and Over. And there's not even any "Hey go blow things up now" part. I can't have 20 minuets in saints row 4 without blowing stuff up.

This isn't really a "level", but it is a part of a game that I dislike. 

From 1:31:00 to 1:40:40 is my least favorite part of Metroid Fusion.

The difficulty spike in this part is pretty big, although the guy playing the game in the walkthrough above makes it look easy. The music gets very creepy once you enter the main silo, so creepy that I had to mute the game when I was playing it. The spider boss in the main silo can be very difficult for first time players. In my first playthrough, it took me days to beat it. After you beat that boss, some wierd bug enemies appear that deal a large amount of damage (around 1 energy tank, which are those red things in the upper right corner) if you touch them. Then comes the an encounter with the SA-X at 1:36:25. The SA-X's attack is firing an Ice Beam at you which deals around 3 energy tanks of damage, if I remember correctly. That's alot of damage in a Metroid game! Once you get past that, you enter Sector 2 and find that it's filled with those annoying bug things from earlier. Oh boy. Once you find the plant boss in Sector 2 and beat it, you get the Plasma Beam, which makes killing those bug enemies a cinch.

Tl,DR: Some annoying bug enemies appear after you beat a spider boss in Metroid Fusion. F*** those bug enemies.

Edited by RedFireDrgn

In Twilight Princess I didn't like Arbiter's Grounds. Don't get me wrong - I very much liked the item and boss battle. I thought they were very unique. What made me not like it is that it was too scary for me! Lol. The Redeads in that game would still give me nightmares I'm sure!

Neptune's Bounty in Bioshock. Granted, that could just be because I'm an idiot who didn't realize that I could just shotgun the cameras, but that stairway covered in cameras leading up to the office with the Research Camera was a nightmare, especially since the cameras are seemingly in the worst places for me to hack them.

Know what was also a nightmare? Temporal Tower from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers. I know it's the final level in the main story, but you may as well turn off the game if you trigger a Monster House filled with Porygon2s that boost their speed to insane levels before unleashing party hitting attacks. Even worse is it's entirely possible for the game to start you smack dab in a Monster House from a previous floor's staircase. Don't even get me started on Primal Dialga, who can kill you with a single Roar of Time if you're not high enough level 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

Paper Mario: Chapter 2 with the dry dry desert. It's actually a pretty good chapter, none of the chapters are actually "bad", I'm simply not a fan of desert levels. Plus it's a really long level if you don't know what you're doing and incredibly short if you do.

Paper Mario TTYD: Freaking twilight town. I can't remember what chapter it was, but that whole level was based on backtracking! You walk back and forth between town and the creepy steeple at least 5 times... It's also frustrating because the whole thing is that you need to tell the villain his name to fight him. You're forced to go all the way back to figure out his name even if you already know it, the letter D on your keyboard is hidden away in a chest in the basement of the steeple.

I wouldn't have minded if they put a pipe at the steeple that lead back to town or somewhere close to town, but I really hated going through that bloody forest each time. The enemies were annoying and hard to dodge because of the narrow paths and it was really just an unpleasant thing. It's such a shame too because I really loved twilight town's atmosphere.

• Brohoof 1

Some of you may already know, if you've seen some of my other posts regarding video games or visited and read completely my About Me page, that my favourite video game is Sonic Unleashed; quite an unpopular opinion, I expect? Anyway, my least favourite levels from that game are by far the Tornado stages. I hate them! they're so annoying, and way too time-consuming! I quickly get bored of them. And if you loose a life, you have to restart the level completely! Those stages can be especially tedious, and they're just... there... they add nothing to the story whatsoever.

Mine has to be Slippery Climb in Crash Bandicoot.

Oh wow.. that level. And Stormy Ascent, I've not often heard of levels that were cut mostly because they thought it was just too hard. :blink:

Anyway, I think I could get a general agreement here that the majority of the original PSX Tomb Raider games by Core Design were hard as nails to complete. But the worst for me by far has to be the underwater levels in TR2, starting with "40 Phantoms". *Shudders* I remember starting that level and almost immediately seeing a giant shark make a B-line for me, I think I promptly saved and turned the game off. :dash: I always hated swimming sections in those games and now here was an entire level arc of it. It took me ages just to find the damn sunken ship you were supposed to get into, and the fun only started there. Plus it introduced my least favorite enemy into the equation: Guys with flamethrowers.  :okiedokielokie: Much burn.

Dark souls bosses sort of mark the levels/stages of the game. I'd have to say ALL the DLC bosses and Smough/Ornstein two on one battles aren't fair especially when you kill one he regens all health and becomes super charged.

Wind waker, Wind temple. I know that game like the back of my hand, but that level? I just, I think I blocked it from my memory from day 1, I hate it so much. Sucks for so many reasons, but I wont bore you all with the details

My least favorite level would have to be the sand bird mission from Super Mario Sunshine. Collecting the red coins felt like a nightmare when running on the sand bird. Combined with the gust of wind blowing you off and the sand bird turning on it's side, I could never beat the level for the longest time back when I first played Mario Sunshine.

• Brohoof 1

turtle rock, links awakening on the gameboy color, the level itself isnt the single most challenging thing in the game. but, I started the game years ago when i was like 4, and was working so hard on it as a little newb gamer I was. 

after years of working on the game at every now and then I was at the last dungeon, due to a glitch in the game, if you didnt do everything in the right order, you had to wipe your entire game and start over...

I was doing it perfectly, but I had to set it down and run and do something or the other.

Sibling comes along, and messes it up...

over almost 12 years of gaming, was ruined in about 2 minutes....

I cant even bring myself to start the game over....

sometimes I turn it on and look at that last level and just cry ;-; (jk)

but it seriously killed me at the time...

Some of the final levels in Peter Jackson's King Kong by UbiSoft are this to me. The lightning is atrocious and they all feel like they were made in a rather rushed way. The final mission of Metal Slug 3 is this in spades. While it contains very awesome sequences and an epic final boss battle, certain parts are rather tedious to play through