Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OC help

Gold3

I've been trying to find out if alicorns can be born alicorns or if they can only be made so if anyone could answer my question it will really help out for one of my OC's that i'm making.  :D

• Brohoof 1

My answer is both. 

If you look at Cadence when we were taken back to the memory of her and Twilight when she was the foal sitter she was an alicorn then. 

My guess is that Celestia and Luna were also born alicorns. There are probably alicorn blood lines. But I am sure that the mother and father have to be alicorns. 

Then we see what happens to Twilight, she was turned into an alicorn after proving herself worthy of becoming one. We also hear Rarity say that she didn't think that was even possible for a unicorn or any pony to become an alicorn like that. So it is to my thought that they are normally born. 

But because there are other alicorns out there with the power that they hold like Luna and Celsetia and I am sure soon enough Twilight will have it, they can transform others into alicorns that they deem worthy. 

• Brohoof 2

My answer is both. 

If you look at Cadence when we were taken back to the memory of her and Twilight when she was the foal sitter she was an alicorn then. 

My guess is that Celestia and Luna were also born alicorns. There are probably alicorn blood lines. But I am sure that the mother and father have to be alicorns. 

Then we see what happens to Twilight, she was turned into an alicorn after proving herself worthy of becoming one. We also hear Rarity say that she didn't think that was even possible for a unicorn or any pony to become an alicorn like that. So it is to my thought that they are normally born. 

But because there are other alicorns out there with the power that they hold like Luna and Celsetia and I am sure soon enough Twilight will have it, they can transform others into alicorns that they deem worthy.

sunbutt didn't transform Twi into an alicorn, though. Lookkng back at "magcal mystery cure", during te transformation, Sunbutt's horn never glowed, so no magic was cast by her. The purple blob that transformed Twi came out of Twi, her own magic, though, without her casting a spell or horn glowing, either. No doubt, the magic that did the transformation was sentient, sensing the readiness in Twi, and magical prowess upon tapping into friendship magic, and transformed her, itself.

Tl; DR: Twilight made herself an alicorn, not Sunbutt

(edited)

My answer is both. 

I think Cadence was actually born a pegasus but she became an alicorn somehow afterwards & that she's the cousin of Prince Blueblood from the mothers side & i was planning on making my OC Bluebloods other cousin from the fathers side but then i thought that my OC would have to be born an alicorn if i was going to make her born form a royal family but i still wasn't sure about that so that's why i wanted to find out about alicorns being born or made but his answer really helped out!  :squee:

Edited by Gold3

The extended canon (written by Amy Keating Rogers) states that Cadance is a pegasus orphan abandoned in the forest who became an alicorn when she defeated a wicked witch and Celestia heard about it somehow.

I don't know the details of the two sisters journal.

Edited by Lucky Shot

• 5 weeks later...

Same here stardust.

My answer is both. 

I agree with stardust.

My answer is also both.

Though Celestia and Luna are born of alicorn bloodlines were not sure about Cadence.

We think Cadance was born a pegasi and made into an alicorn just the same as twilight by proving herself worthy or...

(THIS THOUGHT JUST CROSSED MY MIND) What if Cadence earned her alicorn power and horn by being adopted as a niece for Celestia OR maybe alicorns are born pegasi and as they get older they earn there wings maybe she got a wish granted and she was an orphan! WHO KNOWS?!?! (WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT was she ever an orphan?)

Well, we know from the show and the chapter books that at least two of the alicorns (ascended Twilight and Princess Cadance) are "made", as both of them were previously other races: Twilight was a unicorn and Cadance was a pegasus. As far as I'm concerned, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia have always been alicorns - no canon material disputes that - so it is possible that alicorns can be "born" and not just "made".

Now, there hasn't been any piece of information in canon material that explicitly says that alicorns cannot be born. Hey, if it's possible to have a pegasus and a unicorn born to earth pony parents through some strange family tree voodoo, anything is possible.

I personally believe they can be either.

You're either born an alicorn through alicorn bloodline.

Or you ascend to alicorn status.

But since Celestia and Luna are the only born alicorns left in the world (as far as we know), it's just about near impossible for the former to occur anymore. HOWEVER, ascended alicorns might be able to have alicorn children.

We'll find out when Cadence's baby is born.

alicorns like celestia and luna were born as alicorns

others such as twilight,cadence and sunset shimmer were made alicorns

alicorns seem very rare in thereaalm of equestria

pm me if u nd me anytime

Sunset Shimmer isn't an alicorn... dose she become one?

Thanks everypony for helping but I've made up my mind, I'm making my OC a royal Pegasus. :)  

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe Celestia and Luna to be born alicorns. I still need to read the book though...

Cadence was a pegasus turned alicorn after defeating 'Prismia?' Crystal Heart Spell confirms it

Twilight proved herself worthy and so she became one. The answer is yes and no.

• 1 month later...

My memory may be wrong, but I think it was stated that Flurry Heart is the only alicorn to be born...

I think it is said by Celestia that there never been the birth of an alicorn in Equestria before. So I assume even Luna and Celestia were made into alicorns by a former ruler or some other entity.

• 6 years later...

I believe Alicorns are like a rare genetic mutation so Alicornism is a genetic trait carried through generations but what makes it so rare is that it is not always inherited so it can skip multiple generations so natural born Alicorns are very rare and come once evey few generations though if you're lucky enough a natural born Alicorn could help ascend you to being a Alicorn by replicating the Alicorn gene in the pony who wants to ascend. 

1 hour ago, LordofDiscord said:

I believe Alicorns are like a rare genetic mutation so Alicornism is a genetic trait carried through generations but what makes it so rare is that it is not always inherited so it can skip multiple generations so natural born Alicorns are very rare and come once evey few generations though if you're lucky enough a natural born Alicorn could help ascend you to being a Alicorn by replicating the Alicorn gene in the pony who wants to ascend. 

so Twilight Velvet or Night Light was alicorn recessive D:

I think it's Twilight Velvet - she has a mean horn 

but actually I have a long head-cannony explanation about this:

Best interpretation of show lore IMO is a) Celestia during FiM is a royal pony of ultimate power who also represents all species of pony as per opening book at the start. There's nothing to suggest Celestia was from a different tribe - she inherently was a special pony who rose to lead all of ponykind. Luna was also such an alicorn. Due to their power, these sisters lived for thousands of years (not necessarily immortal) but Luna returned smaller and changes during the show, so she may now be aging normally. When both Luna and Celestia give up their royalty and pass on the mantle of Princesses, it is possible that they have lost their power and extended life-span :( b) Cadence is a royal pony whose power is shown to be incipient in the show. She ages normally during the first part of the show. She is shown to be a special pony with an affinity for love and thus leads the most loving ponies in Equestria in the crystal empire. It is possible she has undergone a similar transformation to Twilight in the last ep. c) Twilight was a non-royal unicorn pony who became royal as Celestia's heir and became an alicorn when she embraced the magic of friendship and became connected to the elements of harmony, overtaking them from Celestia as their previous wielder. She is shown to age normally during the show until the last episode when she resembles Celestia at the start of FiM. d) Flurry Heart is a royal baby alicorn with special powers. It is unclear what her role is in the show, as we never see a cutie mark, but clearly she will age.

My headcanon interpretation of all that is that ponies are naturally magical beings connected to harmony, and that alicorns are periodically born or created according to the needs of harmony. Luna lost her connection to harmony when she became Nightmare Moon, and Celestia lost her connection when she passed the elements on to Twilight. Cadance is connected to an aspect of harmony - love, while Twilight is the new avatar of harmony in Equestria. It may be that Flurry Heart loses her powers if she turns to disharmony, like Luna, or gives her powers up, like Celestia, but it is more likely that she has a role to play in Equestria, and given her name and nature, she might grow up to take over from her mom in ruling the Empire? Regardless, Twilight as an ascended pony will rule for thousands of years, and then Cadance may rule for a similar turn and become ascended or, more probably, age with her huspony and pass on with him, transfering her powers to Flurry Heart (who may then have a foal and do something similar, or chose to be a long-lived ruler).

Sadly, there is no suggestion in the final ep that the Mane 6's connection to the elements is prolonging their lives. Saying Twilight doesn't outlive her friends could mean that Twilight will always be connected to them, even when they have passed on, through her connection to harmony. When she finds a suitable heir and passes on they will be waiting for her to prance through the silver fields :) Is that fair? Well perhaps not, but it is her duty as Celestia's heir to protect all types of ponies and only to pass on when that duty is discharged by finding a suitable heir. Was it fair on Celestia to see all her friends pass on? Who will be waiting for Celestia in the silver fields? Will it be a lover(s)? Will it be friends from before she became a ruler and who helped her rise to power as Twilight's friends did? Who knows :P

I believe( and don't kill me if you hate my head canon) that all ponies at one point in time were actually alicorns... that the alicorn race descended down into what we call Equestria long ago from the stars, and that very different lifestyles began occuring in different corners of Equestria, some even preferred to live amongst the clouds... and these differences of culture, preference, talents, lifestyles, created Earth Ponies, Unicorns and Pegasi... And seeing as Sunny an EARTH PONY can literally awaken this alicorn magic, accompanied by the fact that Earth Ponies HAVE magic, adds more perspective on their "magical origins." But yes I think that bc of Shining Armors magic, and Caedences magic, the dormant gene that all these ponies have, was actually to prominent in the genetic code of everyone's most hated Alicorn flurry heart, but this is what has been making me think, what IF WE HAVE ALL BEEN WRONG ABOUT FLURRY.. I mean she is a shameless princess baby toy lq plot material.. but she may be very close to the genetic origin of all ponies, and obviously Caedences parents were alicorns as well, who is Celestia and Luna's other sibling if that is their neice.. there may be an entire race of alicorns on another planet, but I'd love to know and track back the origins of the royal family, and you will probably find at the very least MANY alicorns that were prominent in the decision making of pony kind...

Edit: and what I meant with Shining Armor is that Twilight and Shinings family may naturally carry a gene that is alicorn dominant and that may be part of what helped Twilight be able to later on become one in a similar sense to Sunny even though ppl don't want to hear about any similarities between the two... And it helps explain that Shining Armors DNA (very close to Twilight's) was able to produce WITH another alicorn, a natural born alicorn ... 

Edited by KingCorvus

• The title was changed to Alicorn OC help
  • 4 months later...
On 2022-09-20 at 4:54 PM, Props ValRoa said:

I do not agree with the idea that Celestia and Luna were ascended alicorns. I believe they were born alicorns, I believe their parents were both alicorns as well. 

I agree

On 2022-09-20 at 4:54 PM, Props ValRoa said:

I do not agree with the idea that Celestia and Luna were ascended alicorns. I believe they were born alicorns, I believe their parents were both alicorns as well. 

I agree with you they are natural born 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...