Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls: Love or Hate?

Ragingdubstep

Hmmm... Well, when I first heard about Equestria Girls (even after finally watching it), I was a little bit unsure of my opinion on it. Rewatched the original Equestria Girls while I was doing a marathon of MLP episodes last year, thought it wasn't very good at all, mostly due to the plot not making any sense to me, but also the few other flaws that really killed the movie for me (bland characters, Sunset's She-Demon form doesn't look good at all, Sunset being 100% unlikable in the first film, Flash lacks character, sub-par animation, etc...), watched Rainbow Rocks months after its U.S release, loved it because everyone else did, but some time after watching it later, and thinking a bit critically about it, I decided I didn't really enjoy it as much as I initially thought. Though, honestly it is superior to the first film. Then the Friendship Games comes out, I watch it a day after its premiere on Discovery Family (would of live streamed it with you guys, but my internet was having issues at the time), and I LOVED IT, and that's not just me loving it blindly because everyone else does (based on my research, not a whole lot of people like the Friendship Games in comparison to Rainbow Rocks, and even the original Equestria Girls), I seriously do love the latest Equestria Girls movie. Mostly because it just feels so close to how I would've made Equestria Girls, albeit a few differences between how I would do it, and how it has been done (my criticisms towards the film is that the writing could've been a bit better, Hasbro should have included Sunset Shimmer's lyrics in the final version of the song "What More Is Out There?" (still a beautiful and relatable song to me, btw), and Crystal Prep is going to need some serious development, at least in terms of characters.... I kinda want to see characters like Lemon Zest, Sugar Coat, Sour Sweet, Indigo Zap, and any other characters from the Shadowbolts who I might have forgotten about develop and grow)... Oh, and I kinda love Sci-Twi, I mean, we're like, the same age, share a lot of things in common (both smart, a bit socially awkward/anxious, etc...), she's cute and beautiful, and I think we're each other's type, sigh the things I would do to get a portal gun, capable of taking me to the Equestria Girls universe. I also cannot wait to get the DVD for the Friendship Games (December 2nd seriously can't come any sooner). However, even despite how I now like Equestria Girls, I still think Friendship is Magic is better.

In other words, I used to not like Equestria Girls at all, but I feel like Hasbro had finally did it right, and now I'm comfortable with considering Equestria Girls a part of the My Little Pony franchise. But I still prefer Friendship is Magic. Also, Sci-Twi is best human being.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't like the idea at first, I also didn't like the designs of the humans, I wasn't excited at first. I didn't like the first movie very much, but after Rainbow Rocks and The Friendship Games (I watched that one yesterday), I liked it a lot more, Rainbow Rocks being my favorite :)

• Brohoof 1

I like it, although I don't like the "high school setting".

Also, I started to love Trixie through Equestria Girls. Not only the human counterpart, but also the unicorn version of Trixie, that at first she had sent me nothing special.

Before I watched it, I had only seen the Twilight mirror promo picture and I disliked it and what I thought it might be. However, I watched it one day out of curiosity and I loved it. Yes, it wasn't perfect but Rainbow Rocks improved upon the first movie and I'm sure Friendship Games will be just as awesome (I hope!) Plus, Sunset is one of my all-time favourite MLP characters thanks to these movies, so I can't complain :)

Love. Equestria Girls at a glance doesn't seem like that great of an idea. But Hasbro has pulled it off to be something great and most importantly, genuine. The movies range from good to fantastic, the character designs are excellent, the music has been just as good if not better than the main show, and the character development for Sunset Shimmer has been astonishingly terrific. I'm very happy with the success of Equestria Girls, and I always look forward to more.

Especially more Dazzlings.

Edited by takai

Love. Equestria Girls at a glance doesn't seem like that great of an idea. But Hasbro has pulled it off to be something great and most importantly, genuine. The movies range from good to fantastic, the character designs are excellent, the music has been just as good if not better than the main show, and the character development for Sunset Shimmer has been astonishingly terrific. I'm very happy with the success of Equestria Girls, and I always look forward to more.

Especially more Dazzlings.

Yeah the Dazzlings are the best villains from the whole Equestria Girls series.

I've got a fine line between love/hate for Equestria Girls. Though i dont hate it, i dont really love it either. It's kind of a "Cool, this thing has come out. Lets go watch it, i guess."

Edited by Princess Bradley

I don't exactly hate Equestria Girls, but I don't really like it either. The only really awesome quality for me in this series is the music. 

I've only seen the first two movies, and they're nothing special. Ponies becoming human teenagers hardly makes sense and sounds like the premise of too many fanfics, so I was hardly looking forward to them. I didn't even catch them until this year due to the initial lack of interest and later just forgetting about them.

The first film was hardly anything special: an unimpressive story with a less impressive villain and climax. Sunset's "change" at the end is also absolutely nonsensical. There are some humorous moments, nice songs, and good character interactions, but they don't compensate for the whole movie. Overall, there's a bit of fun to be had, but they could do better.

And it did get better with Rainbow Rocks, but just average instead of good. The climax is easily the best of the EG and FIM stuff so far, but it's also not saying much since I only found it good instead of great. At least there was some kind of struggle against the villains instead of them quickly getting blasted into dust. The "friendship is magic!" scene is pretty damn funny.

Unfortunately, the HuMane 5 in the movie weren't handled that well mainly because they were given too little to do. Rainbow Dash was an annoying, egotistical ass for no reason (yeah, I guess Rarity and Fluttershy weren't helping with the band at all even though they showed their efforts right in front of her). Some would say that RD in the show was initially like that, but I honestly don't remember her being annoying or egotistical even in season 1. Rarity made outfits for the band. That's it. Applejack was strangely rude toward Rarity's said outfits (where did that even come from anyways?), otherwise she didn't do much. Fluttershy tried to convince RD to play a song she wrote, otherwise I can't remember anything else she did that was meaningful. And I don't remember Pinkie Pie doing anything important either. The movie may have been more focused on Sunset, but that's no reason to exclude the rest of the main characters. Special mention goes to Spike for also doing nothing in this movie when he was much more helpful in the previous one.

As for Sunset, my opinion is mixed. She started out as a "dark" Twilight, but nothing ever came out of that. Even though the actual "transformation" was stupid, at least her attempt to be a better person was quite good. She gets taunted (intentionally or not) about her past acts, but no attempts of regression were ever made. Still, I question her overall value in Rainbow Rocks because the problems she had to solve could've easily been solved by anyone else. She figures out that a "counterspell" song might've been the answer, but Twilight is an expert in magic and could've easily figured that out, too. Then she realizes that the Dazzlings were getting stronger from the group's conflicts, which probably could've been caught by anyone else and not feel off. Overall, her role seems to overlap too much with the other characters, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, but she doesn't bring much to the group. Also, she's writing to Twilight about her lessons in friendship, which is nice and dandy, but apparently Princess Celestia doesn't exist to her anymore? Great. Another way the franchise makes that alicorn pointless.

I'll see Friendship Games at some point, but I'm not expecting much out of it.

EDIT: I just realized I could've parts of this post in the respective movie threads since they're more appropriate over there. Oh well.

Edited by Number107

I'm...neutral; it's both good and bad

It's an overplayed stereotypical high school story

Trying to mesh it with the show is only going to give you a headache

(How did Sunset know about the Elements of Harmony, etc)

What I would have done...

Sunset was one of the ponies hoping to become Celestia's pupils by handing in a paper about her research about the Mirror, but after hearing about her taking on Twilight Sparkle, she ran away through the Mirror.

She finds herself in the Canterlot High School Courtyard, sees the name of the school and heads to the city, eventually enrolling in Crystal Prep. Here, she meets the socially awkward Twilight Sparkle. Despite an initially cold meeting, the two learn more about each other and Twilight sympathizes with Sunset's bitterness towards never being noticed, despite being a gifted individual.

Over the school year, Sunset meets and befriends various other students, eventually forming her own circle of close friends.

Meanwhile, at CHS, the Sirens sense the Equestrian Magic leaking through the portal and enroll in CHS, slowly insinuating themselves in the wonderful hierarchy of school politics and eventually are pretty much in control of the school.

Twilight and Sunset discover traces of Equestrian Magic and are eventually led to the Portal, which Twilight's device then drains. During the competitions, the device drains magic from the Dazzlings, driving them to extreme measures to win, eventually culminating in a Battle of the Bands between the Shadowbolts and Rainbooms.

Shadowbolts get a magic boost, beat the Dazzling-empowered-Rainbooms, shatter the Dazzlings' gems and the Games go to Crystal Prep.

post-27449-0-23598700-1446754817_thumb.jpeg

I watch it because it's MLP related and well it's the only movies related to MLP.

But do I like it more than the show? Mixed feelings here because I mean the show itself has gone downhill, the movies are meh... I guess they're both lackluster now though MLP is still a par above Equestria Girls.

I'm just okay with it. It's very cliched and Twilight takes up way too much of the movies. But the characters it introduces are normally very unique and there are some cool scenes as well pretty funny jokes (at least when it wants to be funny). 

Let's see... it gave us Sunset Shimmer (and my favorite ship SunLight), more Trixie, good songs, the Sirens, the Crystal Prep 6 and demon Twily... I think I love it.

Buuut it also gave us Brad and these abominations of hell:

eqgirlsdolls_by_pixelkitties-d68icdb.jpg

why

At first I hated it, I thought the characters looked really, really strange and somewhat creepy. I've grown to it now though, and don't mind it. :squee:

But these are undoubtedly the stuff of nightmares

sig-4201555.eqgirlsdolls_by_pixelkittiesy

• Brohoof 1