Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art my chaos art

Chronamut

So a while back I pioneered an art style I call "chaos" art - it is entirely subconsciously done.

Here's what you go - you get a piece of paper, and a pencil.

Close your eyes, and think of an emotion or thing you wish to convey - and then with pencil in your hand,

just start scribbling - go nuts - let that emotion flow through you - make sure to cover as much of the page as you can, keep adding if you don't feel satisfied, but keep your eyes closed when you do this.

then open your eyes and look at the mess you have made - and then, using ONLY the lines you see, start to see what you can see come out of the mess, and start outlining lines, and then colour it in.

It sounds like the results would be retarded, but you might be amazed at what you see..

the first is called the abysmal demon of hair - it was made using anger emotion

the second is called the snail- it was made using the feeling of nature.

both are copyrighted.

also see my other thread - OC my character - which I showcase some of my other work :)

post-36100-0-80271800-1446219042_thumb.png

post-36100-0-35653600-1446219118_thumb.png

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 4

Holy guacamole with extra tacos! I need to try this out sometime! :o

mind you, your overall skill as an artist to begin with will somewhat influence what you end up with, but it's still fun to try!

mind you, your overall skill as an artist to begin with will somewhat influence what you end up with, but it's still fun to try!

Woth my art style, it would likely end up as just a bunch of scribbles. Maybe a taco if I'm lucky. Everyone wants taco~

Either way, I'mma do this even if I have absolutely no skill in colouring and shading. x3

(edited)

I'm guessing you open your eyes to add the ink, color, and little touches like the flowers in the snail one?

correct - however the catch is you can ONLY use the lines that are there - you don't have to use them all, but you can't add or erase anything.

that is what allows the image to look as  fluid as it does, as one line blends into another - gives it an abstract look.

the demon one I did in highschool - the snail one I did a couple years ago - naturally the increase in skill came over the years so the snail is much more complex. I have a third I did in highschool as well I work on every now and then... I might try more.. it really is fun.

The colouring for the snail took a whole month though - there is a LOT of stuff in there,..

also for the snail, those little black thin gs on the bottom right are little people - walking around, picnicing, swimming, etc. :P

if you click art in my sig you can see more

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 1

As interesting as the images are, drawing with your eyes closed is a standard artistic exercise that's been done for hundreds of years, though usually not with full coloring of the result as they are often left as sketches.

There is nothing subconscious about these images, because their expression comes from two things you did intentionally:

• As an artist, you associated anger with sharp spikes and nature with smooth curves (especially spirals); a sufficiently inexperienced artist would not know this and would draw completely different lines than you for the same concept
  • You admit that you consciously chose the colors; as an artist, you know anger is red and nature is green

There is a difference between doing something subconsciously, and doing something intentionally and telling yourself later you didn't, the latter of which is much more common.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As interesting as the images are, drawing with your eyes closed is a standard artistic exercise that's been done for hundreds of years, though usually not with full coloring of the result as they are often left as sketches.

There is nothing subconscious about these images, because their expression comes from two things you did intentionally:

• As an artist, you associated anger with sharp spikes and nature with smooth curves (especially spirals); a sufficiently inexperienced artist would not know this and would draw completely different lines than you for the same concept
  • You admit that you consciously chose the colors; as an artist, you know anger is red and nature is green

There is a difference between doing something subconsciously, and doing something intentionally and telling yourself later you didn't, the latter of which is much more common.

I didn't associate them - they simply happened - I didn't say "ok I want anger so I am going to intentionally do lots of spikey lines" - it just happened - where do you draw the line between that is subconsciously done and what is looked to be consciously done? If done well enough, the subconscious will look conscious.

As for the green and red - the lines themselves are the only thing that is subconsciously done, as well as what you pull out of it - everything after you do is conscious - yes I looked at the snail and said you know what, this would look good green, and looked at the anger and said yes red would look great. It is the construction of the architecture itself that is subconscious, as is what you pull out of it. I didn't draw a bunch of squiggles intentionally to pull out a specific image from it - my subconscious did that - I looked at it like someone looks at a cloud and said "yeah, that looks like a snail" or "yes, that looks like a demon" - someone else would have probably seen something different in the jumble of lines.

and I will concede that the art style of drawing with your eyes closed has been done for hundreds of years - however it is mostly left open to interpretation and not fleshed out from the foundation of mere lines, whereas mine is taking a foundational step and refining it, as most art styles are. I take those lines, form something specific out of them, and then colour it.

Either way, it's fun - let's not nitpick this and just have fun with it, shall we? :)

Wow, that is amazing! It looks soooo professional!

it's been on gallery walls, people really seem to like it :)

sorry the lightbox images don't take pics of very well due to the lighting behind them..

post-36100-0-17180800-1446226306_thumb.jpg

post-36100-0-76175300-1446226434_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chronamut

• 3 weeks later...

third chaos art in the works - gives you a bit of an idea of how I work:

b7ubUo.jpg

it will be called "the imbuing of knowledge" - and I think I will make it blue, to have a "RGB" theme to the three pieces.

Edited by Chronamut

It looks really nice but if I really tried I would most likely get brain hurt trying to see what I could make of it 

Thanks :) - that's where most of the skill comes in to be honest. That's an old pic btw - this one has the most line updates.. it takes forever just to find something in the sea of lines, and you can't draw any new ones, have to use what is there..

SqSWot.jpg

Edited by Chronamut

• 4 months later...