Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is maturity (and does it really matter)?

cybershocker455

Personally I don't think the term matters. It's just a random buzzword just to patronize works made by younger audiences, despite the fact that it a work shouldn't be judged by who the intended demographic is, as a work is good, then it's fine by me.

Maturity is knowing what is appropriate, understanding when not to do something, and having a good idea of the best way to act in certain social circumstances (e.g. you wouldn't act the same if you were in a club as if you were at an office meeting).

The implication that it "patronizes works made by younger audiences" is quite the contrary to reality. There's a big difference between dick jokes, dark humor, compared to acting professional.

Maturity is a principle developed by what one society determines as "culturally/morally appropriate within a given scenario". I fail to see how telling someone they're immature for mentioning dick jokes is "patronizing".

• 2 years later...

Maturity is the state of life when you realize that your childhood is over and that you have to face everyday problems in your life, its that time when you don't need to depend on your parents and you finnaly have a job and live on your own.

Using your head and actively trying to cure yourself of ignorance. Immaturity exist only in those who choose to remain ignorant and even more severely in those who pretend to be wise men.

Maturity is whatever you think it is, you're in control of your own life and decision making. If you're one of those who use it as a sign of superiority, fuck you.  

You need to be a bit clearer. Are you asking about maturity as in the process of growing up? Or are you asking about the process of character maturity or just age appropriateness in general? :huh:

Maturity is a beautiful and necessary thing that should be practiced or at least aspired to as often as possible. It's not something that's unique to any age group or demographic, it's simply a way of behaving when faced with a certain kind of behavior of others. It bespeaks of intelligence, self-control and wisdom; all highly desirable aspects of true civilization. Without it, we'd live in a world rapidly deteriorating into the infantile, unprincipled and indifferent; none of which present a promising step into the future. So in my opinion, maturity is not only something that matters, it's absolutely imperative.