S05:21 - Scaremaster  

157 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it

• Boooo! Hated it
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was ... meh
    • I enjoyed it
    • I loved it ... spooky Yay <3

I found this to be an enjoyable episode.

I wonder how Fluttershy changed her eye color to dress up as Flutterbat, though?

Red contact lenses? I was kind of waiting for her to take them off in the episode. :lol:

That episode was so fun! I enjoyed it immensely! Here's a little breakdown! 

Fluttershy confirmed Otaku: 

1013793__safe_ponified_anime_dragon+ball

This has got to be Fluttershy's cutest face EVER!

1013265__safe_solo_fluttershy_screencap_

Angel confirmed most evil character! 

984509__safe_solo_animated_screencap_ang

Fluttershy also confirmed masochist...

984489__safe_fluttershy_rarity_clothes_a

The Main 6 all looked cute in their costumes, but AJ was definitely the most adorable! 

982443__safe_rainbow+dash_rarity_appleja

It was also really cool to see Flutterbat again, even if it was just a costume

984526__safe_fluttershy_animated_screenc

• Brohoof 4

Oh- lets not forget the great parts!

And let's not forget this one, either! (Because I pretty much did when I wrote my comments! :lie: )

post-25740-0-61402400-1446350901.jpg

At least Spike knows that if the love of his life is ever in mortal danger, he's the one she'll embrace in their last moments! Aww....  :wub:

(Yeah, I know what some of you are thinking. But give the little guy a break - he hasn't seen this much action since he turned into Godzilla!  :lol: )

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't call it the best, not even close, but it was enjoyable enough, probably middle of the road for me, last week's was definitely a lot better. Probably 7/10.

Also, Twilight is best Athena.

fOoTBvu.png

Edited by Celli

That episode was so fun! I enjoyed it immensely! Here's a little breakdown! 

Fluttershy confirmed Otaku: 

sig-4188638.1013793__safe_ponified_anime

This has got to be Fluttershy's cutest face EVER!

sig-4188638.1013265__safe_solo_fluttersh

Angel confirmed most evil character! 

sig-4188638.984509__safe_solo_animated_s

Fluttershy also confirmed masochist...

sig-4188638.984489__safe_fluttershy_rari

The Main 6 all looked cute in their costumes, but AJ was definitely the most adorable! 

sig-4188638.982443__safe_rainbow%20dash_

It was also really cool to see Flutterbat again, even if it was just a costume

sig-4188638.984526__safe_fluttershy_anim

I captioned it! I may be wrong about Shinji though, but I think that's him.

post-375-0-76614600-1446352760_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

It was an okay episode for me.  I guess I had some higher expectations when others had claimed it was great (when it was leaked by accident and others who had seen it early viewed it as awesome).

I found it okay for myself.  I can't really enjoy "cringe-humour" very well so it was kind of hard to watch during the second quarter of the episode. 

The references were nice for those who noticed them. I haven't watched much anime and haven't done so in a fair while.  It was a nice treat for those who knew them though. Lol, I haven't seen some of the more famous ones either.

Costumes were pretty nice. (I didn't know the devil would dress up as a little white bunny for this nightmare night)

Edited by pony.colin

This wasn't a great episode but it was OK.  The part I found most interesting was the effect on the timing of the episodes.

Hasbro says the 1st 3 seasons were 1 year (IMO, tight but physically possible).  Season 4 has to take place between the events of Magical Mystery Cure (S3 E13) & Twilight's Kingdom (S4 E25 & E26).

So, Friendship Is Magic (pilot) takes place June 20-22 in call it year 1.  Princess Twilight is June 19-22 (? Discord messed w time, it's hard to say) of year 2. So, if Scaremaster is Oct 31, year 2 then allowing for Castle, Sweet Castle (probably a day or 2 after the pilot), & The Cutie Map, Twilight's Kingdom has to be no later than early October, year 2

Thus, Scaremaster proves Season 4 has to be between the last week of June, year 2 & the 1st or 2nd week of October, year 2.  To me, this is the greatest value of the episode (Many people have told me I'm weird)

To me, the best part though, was the moral. This season has been doing the morals so incredibly well and this episode continues that. So many other cartoons would have the character in question, this being Fluttershy, at the end she would overcome her fears and then continue to do the thing that she overcame her fears for. Instead, she realizes that it is just something that she has no interest in and she decides to continue doing what she always did on Nightmare Night, that is just awesome. Self acceptance for the win.

I totally agree with you.

However, even if what I'm about to say will make someone angry, are episodes like this that almost make me hate Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 1

This wasn't a great episode but it was OK.  The part I found most interesting was the effect on the timing of the episodes.

Hasbro says the 1st 3 seasons were 1 year (IMO, tight but physically possible).  Season 4 has to take place between the events of Magical Mystery Cure (S3 E13) & Twilight's Kingdom (S4 E25 & E26).

So, Friendship Is Magic (pilot) takes place June 20-22 in call it year 1.  Princess Twilight is June 19-22 (? Discord messed w time, it's hard to say) of year 2. So, if Scaremaster is Oct 31, year 2 then allowing for Castle, Sweet Castle (probably a day or 2 after the pilot), & The Cutie Map, Twilight's Kingdom has to be no later than early October, year 2

Thus, Scaremaster proves Season 4 has to be between the last week of June, year 2 & the 1st or 2nd week of October, year 2.  To me, this is the greatest value of the episode (Many people have told me I'm weird)

I totally agree with you.

However, even if what I'm about to say will make someone angry, are episodes like this that almost make me hate Rainbow Dash.

I agree too. Rainbow Dash slightly acted like a jerk in this episode. 

• Brohoof 1

Scare Master

Plot and Characterization

Fluttershy is determined to spend Nightmare Night with her friends after being talked into it by Spike while out on some errands to pick up some supplies. Her first several efforts turned out lackluster as it killed the mood of the celebration while making things awkward with her friends, but she refused to call it quits with one last at a great scare. Fluttershy  was successful but ultimately realized that she was uncomfortable doing such a thing afterwards  as her friends were finally able to respect Fluttershy’s approach to Nightmare Night.

Fluttershy was excellent in this episode even if the material explored with her in this episode was covering some old ground in part, but the episode showed what she could do when she really put her mind and effort into it as far as Nightmare Night is concerned.

Nice to see Rarity participating in this one with her major contributions being the costumes.

Twilight was reasonable supportive even if she was reaching at if for a couple of times, and she did give Fluttershy the idea of being the one to do the scaring instead of waiting to be scared.

Applejack had some good moments sweating it out when tried to explain the surprise in the maze.

Pinkie Pie per usual displayed her usual love and care when it goes into planning and celebarting parties.

Spike actually had a decent moment when he was talking with Fluttershy in Twilight’s castle, even if he did not do a whole lot for the remainder of the episode.

Rainbow Dash was skeptical perhaps even to the point of being  insensitive at times  in regards to Fluttershy and also the Apple family maze, but she soon ate her words.

Granny Smith and Big Mac had some minor roles that tied in nicely to plot of the episode as well.

Surprised Luna was not included, but I am not too upset at the lack of her presence as the episode worked just fine without her, and the episode did a nice job highlighting the other characters in a Nightmare Night celebration while keeping its focus on Fluttershy. Excellent.

10/10

Animation and Music

I loved the atmospheric lighting of Ponyville throughout this episode and it really stood out while capturing the feel of Nightmare Night, and they did an excellent job within Twilight’s castle as well too as far as this aspect is concerned.

The costumes were well done with Muffin’s, Rainbow Dash’s, and Twilight’s being the best of the lot, and another touch was the customized candy bags. It was also a nice touch that Twilight tossed some candy at Rainbow Dash in trying to prevent another insensitive remark displaying both concern Fluttershy and annoyance at Rainbow Dash at the same time.

I also enjoyed some of the props used here as well including the Granny  Smith Skeleton, and also the pit they all fell into it.

The background music was appropriate to context of the episode, and added to the ambiance of the episode.

10/10

Voice Acting and Dialogue

Voice acting was superb in this one, and it really captured the emotions of the mane 6 as far  their reactions of the activities in Nightmare Night were concerned, and the Andrea Libman really did a great job conveying the range of Fluttershy’s emotions running from fear to acceptance of what she really wants.

There were some pretty good lines in there well especially concerning Fluttershy’s attempts at throwing an awkward haunted party, and I thought her speech at the end of episode was pretty well done too.

10/10

Overall this episode scores a 30/30 netting a 10 again. Solid story, superb presentation, and excellent characterization makes this episode another winner.

• Brohoof 1

About time Fluttershy did something this season!

I really enjoyed this episode.

It was fun and had some good character development for Fluttershy.

I enjoyed the Halloween atmosphere and Spke even had a nice little moment in the episode.

Good episode.

Well, that was a fun episode! AJ did look extra adorable :D Yay for the return of Flutterbat as well! I like how Fluttershy decided not to go out with the rest of the Mane 6 the next Nightmare Night(s), I expected her to say something along the lines of "Fine, I will". Also, I like how Fluttershy's animal friends played a role in this episode too. We rarely get to see them do things other than...uh, being animals, I guess :P

I too, watched the episode shortly after it was leaked, but I watched it again for Halloween.

Yet another awesome episode in a very strong season! That, and Fluttershy's into anime. This amuses me a lot more than it should!

That episode was so fun! I enjoyed it immensely! Here's a little breakdown! Fluttershy confirmed Otaku: 1013793__safe_ponified_anime_dragon+ball

... If only Fluttershy only knew about the series the the plugsuit pony is from. She would DIE.

I am also glad I resisted the temptation to watch this one early, due to it's leak, it was much better watching it on Halloween aka Nightmare Night itself.  I'm glad to see a episode focusing on the pony who embodies kindness, and I certainly understand her choice at the end, even in fun, I don't enjoy seeing friends frightened either, I am usually very apologetic even if I startle someone by accident.  So I empathize a great deal with her decision, even if I thought she had an awesome costume.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the map has sent applejack, rarity, rainbow and pinkie out to places, but other then the episode it first appeared, hasn't sent twilight or fluttershy out yet?  I hope we get a chance to see these too in action before the final.

• Brohoof 1

I had already seen this one back in September and gave my thoughts on it in another thread, but I will be brief here:

This episode was cute. The ending was a bit fast paced, but there was so much fun here. The costumes, Fluttershy was ADORABLE, Derpy being a bootleg Twilight, it was a really good Halloween episode. I prefer this one to the first Nightmare Night episode honestly. 

To me, the best part though, was the moral. This season has been doing the morals so incredibly well and this episode continues that. So many other cartoons would have the character in question, this being Fluttershy, at the end she would overcome her fears and then continue to do the thing that she overcame her fears for. Instead, she realizes that it is just something that she has no interest in and she decides to continue doing what she always did on Nightmare Night, that is just awesome. Self acceptance for the win.

One of the top episodes for the season for me. The moral was enough for that on its own.

Besides, that little nook she made under her bed looked so cozy.

I am also glad I resisted the temptation to watch this one early, due to it's leak, it was much better watching it on Halloween aka Nightmare Night itself.  I'm glad to see a episode focusing on the pony who embodies kindness, and I certainly understand her choice at the end, even in fun, I don't enjoy seeing friends frightened either, I am usually very apologetic even if I startle someone by accident.  So I empathize a great deal with her decision, even if I thought she had an awesome costume.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the map has sent applejack, rarity, rainbow and pinkie out to places, but other then the episode it first appeared, hasn't sent twilight or fluttershy out yet?  I hope we get a chance to see these too in action before the final.

I'm sure it'll happen, my friend.

Despite it being a Halloween-centered episode (as I don't personally celebrate it), I really liked this episode. It was very well done. Especially the parts where us the fans noticed about the show (being anime like, the horse head mask, etc.). :)

Good (Main parts):

The ending was nicely done. It was quite a surprise really.

Adorable Fluttershy. :3

Twilight's Costume.

Bad:

Name was a rip-off of "Stare Master"

Build-up was a little bit lame I thought. Until the part in the Corn Maze.

One a 1-10 scale, this episode would get a 9.  I liked how Twilight dressed up as a Spartan warrior, how adorable Fluttershy was in this episode, and of course the surprise ending that was well-executed. But it's title and it's slightly lame build-up (It could have been done a little bit better, It was kind of rough in some parts. Mostly involving Fluttershy trying to celebrate Nightmare Night. But it was really good for a special.

• Brohoof 1