S05:21 - Scaremaster  

157 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it

• Boooo! Hated it
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was ... meh
    • I enjoyed it
    • I loved it ... spooky Yay <3

Rainbow Dash laughed at the concept of Fluttershy being scary but she's probably the scariest pony of the Mane 6. The Stare, Mean Fluttershy (Season 2 episode 19), Flutterhulk (Season 4 episode 6) and Flutterbat!

• Brohoof 3

Rainbow Dash laughed at the concept of Fluttershy being scary but she's probably the scariest pony of the Mane 6. The Stare, Mean Fluttershy (Season 2 episode 19), Flutterhulk (Season 4 episode 6) and Flutterbat!

Once you think of it, yeah! Sweet, lovely, beautiful Flutters certainly has a dark/baddass side that comes out to play every so often.

Ooh! You forgot "Obsessed & Crazy Fluttershy".....

fluttershy_love_me_by_s_j_art-d41u1rd_zp

Oh, Fluttershy; You deranged little equine-version-of-Glen-Close-in-Fatal-Attraction, you! :angry:

I wonder why those critters never liked her to begin with? It was never explained. I mean, she's a critter-magnet! I guess they were snobby Canterlot critters....The critter-equivalent of Jet Set & Upper Crust.

Gotta love the CRAZY ponies! :wub::blink: :scoots:  :derp::sunbutt:  :mustache:  :umad: 

Edited by Pinkiesister75
  • Brohoof 2

I wonder why those critters never liked her to begin with? It was never explained. I mean, she's a critter-magnet! I guess they were snobby Canterlot critters....The critter-equivalent of Jet Set & Upper Crust.

I think it might be because she took it for granted that they would. Around Ponyville, she's well-known among the animals - she's the caretaker, runs the shelter {as an aside, how is it supported?} and is otherwise a known quantity. In Canterlot gardens, to someone who's never met her, she would have come across as a grabby-handed child throwing a tantrum for not getting what she wanted.

I found it hard to believe that Fluttershy was scared since she was celebrating nightmare night along with everypony else just fine back in Luna Eclipsed

Has she? I'll need to rewatch it again, but if memory serves, what we've seen of her was hiding in her cottage trying to get away from Luna that terrifying Nightmare Moon.

I found it hard to believe that Fluttershy was scared since she was celebrating nightmare night along with everypony else just fine back in Luna Eclipsed

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the only reason she was out was because Twilight dragged her out to help with Luna.

I think it might be because she took it for granted that they would. Around Ponyville, she's well-known among the animals - she's the caretaker, runs the shelter {as an aside, how is it supported?} and is otherwise a known quantity. In Canterlot gardens, to someone who's never met her, she would have come across as a grabby-handed child throwing a tantrum for not getting what she wanted.

Has she? I'll need to rewatch it again, but if memory serves, what we've seen of her was hiding in her cottage trying to get away from Luna that terrifying Nightmare Moon.

You're right. She was hiding away in her cozy cottage....then Twilight wanted her to give Luna speech-lessons. It went nowhere and Luna hugged Flutters until she passed out.

• 1 month later...

When I first saw Derpy in the maze...

4S5EliI.png

.. Is it bad that I didn't notice it was Derpy at first, and thought it was a double Twilight, and that was an animation error? Just proves that Derpy is a pretty good cosplayer XD

• Brohoof 5

• 3 weeks later...

I realized Scaremaster actually does have a deep message in it. Everything isn't for everyone even if most people like it. Most of the ponies loved Nightmare Night but Fluttershy didn't even though she tried it out.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I like Fluttershy episodes and I totally loved how she was presented. In general Fluttershy shows that she can outstand and exceed the expectations of other ponies about many things. Her vampiric look from previous Seasons was awesome, and she looked so badass.

Edited by ImpctR

• 3 weeks later...

This was an entertaining episode. It seems like sorta a backward step for Flutters in that she's sorta gone back to her old, scaredy self, but that didn't really affect my overall enjoyment of the episode.

The use of Flutters' animal friends was rather clever, and the tea party she set up was kinda funny. A little cringy due to the sheer awkwardness, but still funny.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Overall, it's a good episode for Halloween time.  The only thing fans take issue with , might be the message.  But when one looks at it, the message/moral is something we all deal with at some points in our life.  And what that is, is even if we don't like something at first, how we will we know we don't like it if we don't try.  And even after we try, the we can decide wither or not to give it a shot again in the future.

I also did like some of the references to anime like Sailor Moon, Utena, Dragonball, etc...  And wither people will like or not, I did like the little (subtle) RarityxSpike moments they threw at us towards the end, as well as have Spike near Twilight during certain moments.  So I did like those little tidbits.

One thing I might have changed is, if her Friends know Fluttershy will give it a shot, hoping she may join them every year for Nightmare Night as a result, shouldn't they have at least tried to tone it down for her enjoyment, or at least take the time to teach her the finer points of the holiday and how to enjoy it.  I'm just saying.

But Overall , A Good Episode for Halloween Time.  Here's hoping we get another Nightmare Night/Halloween episode in season 8.  God Bless!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I like this episode. It gives another great moral for Fluttershy and a really fantastic third act with Fluttershy scaring the rest of the mane six. The only problems are that Fluttershy feels a bit too exaggerated in the cold open and the scene at Sugarcube Corner drags on a little too long.

Score: 7/10

• 1 month later...

I'm still kinda mixed on this one. I generally like the jokes more now, and I still really like how sensitive all of Fluttershy's friends are about her preferences, but Fluttershy herself seems exaggerated to the point of self-parody. Abstractly, I like the idea of Fluttershy trying to come out of her shell just to see if she can handle it, but everything she's afraid of just seems so absurd to me, to the point where nearly every time she talks is excruciating. And that's unfortunate, because all of the scenes without Fluttershy are fairly enjoyable; the final sequence in the corn maze is especially kind of a blast. Stuff like Fluttershy's anime cutouts and the final Flutterbat scare are still kind of irritating to me, but at least the latter makes sense as something she'd make up to scare her friends. I guess the big problem for me is that Fluttershy's absence from much of the final act makes it more enjoyable, when this should be an episode about Fluttershy's own journey. And for all the little things I like about that journey, Fluttershy's perspective doesn't change that much from start to finish, and I feel like all the jokes about her being afraid of random things detracts from the bigger picture. Essentially, I would have liked the corn maze idea to come into play a lot earlier, because that's the most sympathetic and relatable part of this story, whereas nearly everything which comes before comes across as just a bit unreasonable. I'm more positive towards it than I was at the time, but it's not suddenly clicked for me like Fluttershy's season 4 episodes. 

Score:
Entertainment: 5/10
Characters: 4/10

Themes: 7/10
Story: 5/10
Overall: 53/100

• 1 month later...

I tend to find exaggerated characters funny, and this episode was no exception. Fluttershy's terrible attempt at scaring was funny, and her later attepts that were actually scary was intense. A fun episode overall.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It says something when the best part of this Fluttershy episode is the third act where she isn't even there. I've already mentioned that focusing on Fluttershy can be difficult to make entertaining and this episode shows that in full force. The section with her pointing out things that could go wrong with everything drags on for way too long. I get the point is that Fluttershy is being a buzzkill, but it goes on for so long with the same joke. And Fluttershy's bad tea party doesn't have the impact that it should because Fluttershy is such a soft character. I like the moral that she learns, but it's not worth how boring a lot of the episode and how Fluttershy seems a little dumbed down from her previous appearances, especially in the beginning. I also don't like the facial expressions. It's a similar thing to Party Pooped where the expressions are really exaggerated. They all look uncanny and come up way too often. 

On the other hand, the lighting stands out quite a bit here. It creates a great creepy atmosphere especially in the maze and when Fluttershy is walking around Twilight's castle. Speaking of the maze, that part has some good moments. Not all of it is enjoyable, but when things start escalating, it gets a bit more interesting and fun. And yeah, the moral is good. Fluttershy goes from hiding from Nightmare Night because she's terrified of it to not participating in Nightmare Night because she tried it and didn't like it. It's not a super substantial change, but it is a character change and it helps to give the episode some substance despite somewhat dumbing down Fluttershy to teach her this lesson.

Score: 5/10

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...