Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Daylight Savings Time: Good or Bad?

Jon the VGNerd

DSTs are at it again from last night and, while people do enjoy Daylight Savings Time every year, others like myself are fed up with this. In my honest opinion, it serves no purpose and creates more annoyance than benefits and it also affects television schedules as they're now an hour ahead instead of back. I know I have. It creates difficulties in keeping track of my favorite television programs because of this and in my honest opinion, I would like to have Daylight Savings Time not exist. What are your opinions of DSTs and why do they benefit/annoy you?

It helps if you have to close half of the hours you work in some places, because it gets dark earlier and earlier. I was closing four days a week, lol; Its still pretty dark by the time we go to the bank so I dunno how much it'll help until Tuesday, but still.

The only thing that would possibly annoy me is if I forget to change my clocks back.

I don't really care. The only thing about it I take notice of is when it's not completely dark when I'm waiting for the bus in the morning which I kind of like. It makes so I don't feel like I'm standing out there in the middle of the night.

"Daylight saving time (DST) or summer time is the practice of advancing clocks during summer months by one hour so that in the evening daylight is experienced an hour longer, while sacrificing normal sunrise times. Typically, users in regions with summer time adjust clocks forward one hour close to the start of spring and adjust them backward in the autumn to standard time.[1]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

I don't like adjusting to it, and I wish more of my clocks could automatically update when Daylight Savings happens, despite being in Australia (though, more specifically the southeastern states, where Daylight Savings is actually observed in the country).

• Brohoof 1

Well.. daylight savings always throws me off course. It was nice to get an extra hour, but now it seems as though it should be the previous time and not the adjusted one. It confuses me but more or so I would think it would mess with sleep.

Daylight savings is rather dumb in my opinion, as there really isn't any good reason to keep it around (other than in some places, you don't want to see the run rising at, like, 4 a.m.) 

I wish this outdated concept would just die already as its purpose in WWI no longer has any relevance. I find it to be a detriment to my circadian rhythm as well, since getting decent sleep is a bitch in the first place

Edited by Adri
  • Brohoof 1

It always seemed kind of pointless to me. It's like cutting an inch off the front of a ruler, tacking it on the end, and then pretending the ruler is longer.

That said, I'm not really bothered by it.

I generally love DST.. Only because the sky starts to light up again at around 3AM, So it's like; 4 and a half hours of night time?