Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Daylight Savings Time: Good or Bad?

Jon the VGNerd

I know about Daylight Saving Time (DST), for everyone to set the clocks forward during the summer (lose one hour at the 2nd Sunday of March) and backward during the winter (regain one hour at the 1st Sunday of November).

I prefer standard time better to have sunset at 5:30 P.M.  :)

Time changes are so frigging annoying.  I wish we would stop moving the clock.  I don't really care which time we're on, I just don't want it to change anymore.  I personally would prefer staying on daylight time, just because I'm not a morning person, and prefer more light in the evening.  A friend of mine makes a good point though--standard time makes more logical sense because 12 noon on the clock coincides with solar noon.  I.e. when the clock says 12, the sun is highest in the sky.  That's fine with me, I just want it to STOP CHANGING!!

• Brohoof 1

We don't have Daylight Saving Time here, and I have no idea why this should exist.

I have seen a sketch from Last Week Tonight few months ago (please search it yourself; I can't access to YouTube for now) and learnt that DST is created originally for saving energy during the war time; but there is no need of doing that nowadays (because we waste them anyway).

I'm sure changing EVERY SINGLE BLOODY clock twice a year isn't a enjoyable chore...

It doesn't affect me that much. The only part I dislike is that the sun rises earlier. I like to wait in the dark for my school bus. I like it becoming darker earlier, makes me think about moving to Alaska for that 30 days of night thing (Please tell me that wasn't just a movie thing and is actually real)

• 2 years later...

It's annoying and completely pointless. People have to change clocks over and over, worry about being late for work (or something else) – all this for very little benefit. :derp:

• Brohoof 2

I suppose I like seeing the sun come down later in the day; I feel like I’ve been more productive if the sun isn’t already down just 6 hours after I get up from bed in the winter :please: .

I think DST is antiquated, annoying, and unnecessary.  I hate it.  We in the USA should get with the freakin' program and abolish it.  To be honest, I don't really care what time the clock says, as it's arbitrary, anyway, (I just hate having to change it) but standard time makes much more sense, since we'd be synced up with the rest of the world.  During DST, several games I play are actually out of sync with respect to international online servers.  It's total BS.  And I can't believe DST is EIGHT MONTHS LONG.  I couldn't believe it.  I thought it was 50/50, six and six, but it's not.  Two-thirds of the freakin' year is DT.  Seriously, go look at your calendar.  It's total BS, man.

I recently wrote my member of congress and encouraged him to help end DST.  I pointed out that Arizona did it, and they didn't explode.  It works.  I encourage everyone to write your members of congress!  DST won't go away unless we speak up!

• Brohoof 1

Daylight Savings Time is silly, pointless and an all-around inconvenience. It doesn't serve any useful purpose so it's more of a problem than anything else. I dislike it intensely and far prefer Standard Time. Arizona is the only state smart enough to avoid playing this annual game; I wish all the other states would do the same and say "Enough of this antiquated, idiotic nonsense!" The sun rises when it's meant to rise and sets when it's meant to set. That's nature, and it doesn't need humans to tweak it and make it unnatural.   

• Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...

I like it when the daylight saving ends, because more night time for me. I'm not a fan of sunlight.

As someone who works in GMT (UTC) at work and then has to match that with the appropriate local "watch" time (DST) it gets annoying and can lead to problems if you read one as the other, I'd be an hour late or an hour early :derp:

(thankfully its only an hour as I'm in the UK)

• 5 months later...