Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Why can't my generation and the new generation watch black and white movies?

TheMarkz0ne

This is something that has come to my attention recently thanks to Monster Madness 9 from Cinemassacre. Now I never had an issue watching old movies growing up. Many movies I watched in the mid 90s were movies way before I was even a thought. The most prominent classic being Wizard of Oz... And to go back 40 years, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory( yes I know it's in color). The overall theme here is black and white+ old movies. So lets say everything from 1920-1975. Most people I have met my age, will watch something from the late 70s and 80s.

I don't get why people are so stupid and pathetic that they need to judge the older movies by their technological limitations. I actually watched the Universal Classic Monsters for the first time. I saw Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy and Invisible Man. So far Invisible Man is my favorite. I am able to watch these knowing it's from a different era and that it will be dated in terms of special effects and even some acting. 

But I was able to enjoy the dialogue heavy and atmospheric sets. That's how I view them from my current age and living in 2015. Back in 1930-1940 these movies were viewed in a different light. They were considered horror movies, and even though I am not afraid of them because that would silly. I can see that there are genuine attempts to be scary. It relies more on imagery and no sound effects to strike a scare. Something that's a breath of fresh air for me, because jump scares have been dead for over 15 years and modern horror relies so much on that trash. 

What's your take on this topic? Is our generation just........spoiled? 

• Brohoof 2

I'm not a fan of black and white movies, and i'm fairly young. I don't particularly like the style it's done in, and how they handle plots. I do like some of them though; the Twilight Zone (even though it's a TV show) is genius. But the majority of movies from that time... I'm not a fan of.

Not trying to be a jerk OP, but in your post you seem to be heralding your opinion over all others; case in point, "...so stupid and pathetic they judge by technical limitations". Perhaps they aren't judging the technical limitations and just don't like the style old movies are done in. I really don't like the N64's graphics (fight me), but I think it's a great system. The Xbone has pretty good graphics but I really don't like the system. This generation is not braindead for not liking the types of movies you like.

Also, about you saying how this generation is spoiled... how? You went on a long rant how old B/W movies are superior in every way to new movies (besides technical limitations, of course). So shouldn't you be spoiled for being one of the people who like and are exposed to the superior movie type? Yes, we have color and better special effects, but apparently technical limitations don't matter and this generation of movies relies on cheap horror tactics. As I said before, a person/generation is not stupid, pathetic, or spoiled for not liking the type of movie you like.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a fan of black and white movies, and i'm fairly young. I don't particularly like the style it's done in, and how they handle plots. I do like some of them though; the Twilight Zone (even though it's a TV show) is genius. But the majority of movies from that time... I'm not a fan of.

Not trying to be a jerk OP, but in your post you seem to be heralding your opinion over all others; case in point, "...so stupid and pathetic they judge by technical limitations". Perhaps they aren't judging the technical limitations and just don't like the style old movies are done in. I really don't like the N64's graphics (fight me), but I think it's a great system. The Xbone has pretty good graphics but I really don't like the system. This generation is not braindead for not liking the types of movies you like.

Also, about you saying how this generation is spoiled... how? You went on a long rant how old B/W movies are superior in every way to new movies (besides technical limitations, of course). So shouldn't you be spoiled for being one of the people who like and are exposed to the superior movie type? Yes, we have color and better special effects, but apparently technical limitations don't matter and this generation of movies relies on cheap horror tactics. As I said before, a person/generation is not stupid, pathetic, or spoiled for not liking the type of movie you like.

I didn't say they were superior because they're black and white. My point in this post was to emphasize that there were movies that came before us. That's what's great about movies as a medium, if we are talking about modern pop culture, it's obviously older than video games. Which means more and more material to entertain us with. Imagine how many video games have been made in 40 years... No multiply that by like 30 or 50 and that's your possible movie count.

I am not saying black and white automatically makes it good. When I called people my age stupid, I am saying that movies year by year rely on ADD induced methods of entertaining people. Something always needs to be moving. Needs to constantly grab your attention and be obnoxious. Not all movies do this, but the majority of summer blockbusters and even box office bombs do. 

It is true that a lot of old movies are not as good as anything made later than the 70's or 80's. In the 60's and earlier, movies were still a new thing, and they were not as good at creating good scripts or at patient the film. Keep in mind that writing and directing a movie is a whole different beast than a play.

Also, the audience was different and they were less used to how things are portrayed in movies. Lets use an example. Imagine a scene in a movie where the character is getting ready for work and driving to work. In the 50's, they would show the character getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, brushing their teeth, taking a shower, getting dressed, getting into their car, driving, going into the work building, and then sitting down at their desk. Today they may just show the character waking up, getting dressed, driving, and then sitting down at their desk. The audience is more able to recognize that all of the other things the movie skipped may have still happened. In the old cinema days, if the movie did not show it or directly imply that it happened, then the audience might have assumed it didn't happen at all.

The audience has changed and is more used to how things are portrayed in movies. Directing techniques have changed, and scripts have evolved to fit movies better. I just think todays generations are so used to todays evolved cinema styles that they don't have the patience to even give old movies a chance. However, there were a few gems from the old cinema days that will forever be some of the best movies of all time. Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, and Psycho all come to mind. 

Edited by McDude

I'v try'ed watching a few black and white movies they bore me, the way people talked and act back then isn't interesting to me and I don't see whats so great a lot of them seem to be oddly paced, and the writing isn't very good. If you ask me old things are over rated, just a bunch of people who say my generation sucks, but guess what that generation had people who hated there own generation so only cave men are good. Here's 2 videos that sums it up.

Bottom video is a bit mature.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'v try'ed watching a few black and white movies they bore me, the way people talked and act back then isn't interesting to me and I don't see whats so great a lot of them seem to be oddly paced, and the writing isn't very good. If you ask me old things are over rated, just a bunch of people who say my generation sucks, but guess what that generation had people who hated there own generation so only cave men are good. Here's 2 videos that sums it up.

Bottom video is a bit mature.

If you take pop culture out of the equation, my generation is back stabby. I know movies are just movies and there's nothing wrong with that. But if it weren't for older movies, we wouldn't have our current movies. Example, I thought the 2013 Evil Dead remake was in many ways better than Sam Raimi's 1981 Evil Dead. Why? Plenty of reasons. Mainly because it had care put into it and was ripping off crappy horror movies.. Also paid respect to the original without copying it. 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

If you take pop culture out of the equation, my generation is back stabby. I know movies are just movies and there's nothing wrong with that. But if it weren't for older movies, we wouldn't have our current movies. Example, I thought the 2013 Evil Dead remake was in many ways better than Sam Raimi's 1981 Evil Dead. Why? Plenty of reasons. Mainly because it had care put into it and was ripping off crappy horror movies.. Also paid respect to the original without copying it. 

They just don't appeal to many people any more. It doesn't matter if they are the reason for why movies are the way they are now. I watch night of the living dead it was kinda bad in my opinion key word opinion taste is subjective, but back on point I love zombie movies and night of the living dead isn't even where zombies came from, and if I watched those I would like them less, its there just out of touch with modern crowds.

Edited by flutersparkle

They just don't appeal to many people any more. It doesn't matter if they are the reason for why movies are the way they are now. I watch night of the living dead it was kinda bad in my opinion key word opinion taste is subjective, but back on point I love zombie movies and night of the living dead isn't even where zombies came from, and if I watched those I would like them less, its there just out of touch with modern crowds.

You are right, zombies are thousands of years old. Every ancient culture has some incarnation of the reanimated living. Nothing is new under the sun. Romero did however popularize zombies into the mainstream. Meaning no Walking Dead without the man. So I'm not going to hail Romero as the inventor of zombies. Universal did them in the 40s as well, but they didn't take off. 

Black-n-white movies are a product of it's time, and it's jarring for many people to watch black-n-white films when they've been so used to color their entire lives

That said I will always love Casablanca

• Brohoof 2

I haven't watched many black and white films, mostly because they are inferior to many modern day movies. In certain ways. The way the acting was done, the musical scores, a lot of it is quite antiquated, but I try to look at them for their time period and for that I respect what they did, they still don't interest me much.  

(edited)

I like to watch Black and White Movies, ive actually watched a lot of them. Older Horror Movies, like Frankenstein, older Serials like Captain Marvel, Atomman vs Superman, Batman, Spy Smasher, Mysterious Doctor Satan, a few older Sherlock Holmes Movies in black and White and even the first two Godzilla Movies, as well as the first 3 King Kong Movies.

I love Black and White Movies, for me they just feel special. Its weird at first, but then you feel like you get sucked in, into the past and thats just really interesting.

Also you see old buildings, old cars and it just looks cool  :love:

I even watch Silent Movies, from Sherlock Holmes Baffled ( 1900 ) to Sherlock Holmes starring John Barrymore from 1921 i think.

I also watched a lot of Silent Shorts, beginning with the shorts from Louis Le Prince.

My favorite Silent Movies are Alice in Wonderland ( 1903 ) and Frankenstein ( somewhat 1910 i think  :ooh: ) .

Oh yeah and i watched a lot of George Melies.Like Le Voyage dans la Lune, you know, the classics.  B)

So in short : I love black and white movies and even Silent Films.  :pinkie:

Why our Generation doesnt like to watch older movies? Because they are Bluray addicted i think.

I mean, at this point, our Generation even gets mad, if some things are only released on Dvd and not on their precious Bluray super ultra mega HDDDDD.

I just dont understand it.  :wacko:

Or maybe they just find them boring, they can be multiple reasons, but i think its mostly the overall picture quality for people. I guess.

And im just having this thought, from all the Amazon buyers, that dislike everything thats not on Bluray...like come on  :okiedokielokie:

As if it is that much of a difference  :scoots: Really, i dont see that much of a difference, maybe my eyes are bad, i dunno.  :maud:

Edited by Smile.Pony

Le Voyage dans la Lune

Aw man I thought I was the only one who loves that movie. I'm also going to throw a shout out to The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think much of the lack of appreciation for black and white movies comes from a lack of education. Perhaps if one were knowledgeable about film then he or she could enjoy the subtle messages in the lighting and camera angle.

• Brohoof 1

Not everyone has to like the same things.

Generations are moving forward and technology is advancing, and newer movies grab the attention of the younger generations.

I won't judge any movie (or show) on when it was made or if it's in color or not. Actually one of my favorite TV series of all time, "Dark Shadows", is much older than I am and was in black and white for the first year it aired (1966-67) The story and characters were so compelling that you could overlook the cheap props and limited special effects. I've also watched and enjoyed very old movies such as the 1935 version of "Le Miserables" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" from 1945. The fact that they were filmed in black and white and from a very different time period never took away from the story for me. I thought they were very well done. That said obviously not all older movies are good -- and the same can be said for new movies. Sometimes the action-packed, fast-paced tone of our modern day movies gets on my nerves and I long for an old fashioned storytelling style. In short, I can appreciate all types of movies and I think it would be silly to judge all black and white movies based on a few bad ones.

PS: I thought it was interesting that Tim Burton's new movie take on the old "Frakenweenie" short was done entirely in black and white. I loved the feel of it! :o

• Brohoof 1

Black and White movies are just boring man....and the audio quality is terrible and the acting isn't that good and it makes me feel sick just looking at black and white xD I also think that the popular culture back in the 80's and stuff is just....really weird :/

It's not that I dislike black and white movies, it's just that I am not really that motivated to watch them anytime soon.

As there are a lot of movies out there to watch and that I am trying to get to, so my time is busy elsewhere.

Some of us still enjoy black and white movies. But you know, the majority of old generation didn't prefer to watch black and white movies in the old days, it was the only option back then. So it's really not so much about generation.

Edited by Osiria
  • Brohoof 1

I think the better question is why would you watch a movie in black and white when you can watch a movie in colour?

I'm not judging black and white movies as i imagine a lot of black and white movies were amazing back in their time and most likely are still today but I'd prefer watching any movie in colour then just plain black and white. Colours express the world and can make a environment in a movie a lot more rememberable then a dull black and white environment.

Well, not everyone hates black and white. Not too big into movies myself, but I really enjoy classic Doctor Who, including the black and white stuff, and I grew up with old Godzilla/Monster movies, some of which were in black and white and I love. I'm still rather young, but I enjoy them.

Even then, I can see why people wouldn't. The special effects compared to what we have now are kind of wobbly and silly, and while I find it kind of charming, other people don't. The acting and tone and pace is very different than what we have now too, times have moved forward, things are different. Some people just aren't fond of older things, and that's fine.

Blatant disrespect can be aggravating. "Black and white moves are lame and sucky, lol" is something that would kind of annoy me, but "I don't care for black and white/older movies" is just an opinion, a taste. Some people don't like most modern movies, that's fine. Maybe they grew up with the classics, and the way most modern movies are done isn't for them.

These more modern generations are just more used to things that are more modern, that's their taste. Wouldn't surprise me if they start complaining about the new stuff in 10 to 20 years time.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know about my peers, but I rather enjoy many black and white movies and shows. My parents are a bit older than normal, so I saw some old ones like Charlie Chaplin, Leave It Too Beaver, I Love Lucie, older Lassy and many others. The comedy usually holds up, and the stories tend to be simpler, so they're not difficult to follow. I've got a bunch on my movie hard drive.

• Brohoof 1

I knew a guy who would automatically consider a black and white movie "a bad movie", no matter what.

He also preferred the Star Wars prequels over the original trilogy because "the special effects were better".

I bet you could wave keys in his face and he'd be just as entertained.

In my opinion, black and white movies can be hard to get behind because the lack of color really does make a big difference.

Remember Game Boy to Game Boy Color? Huuuge difference. Everything just pops. Even with MLP, the color is what makes it appealing for some, myself included. The show wouldn't be as visually appealing in B&W.

This can also be seen in SD vs HD videos. I once made two dance videos, one SD and one HD, and despite feeling my SD video was better, everyone I knew said the HD one was better because of the HD.

We see something that looks nice and then everything else will look worse, which can damper and distract from the viewing experience.

But are black and white movies inherently handicapped due to their lack of color?

Ironically, despite my previous arguments for why it's understandable to dislike B&W movies simply because they're B&W, one of my favorite movies of all times is a B&W film, Godzilla (1954).

I also enjoy the original King Kong over the original because of the stop motion animation.

A good story and impressive special effects trump visuals for me anyday.

But I do believe that two movies of equal caliber, the color film will be more appealing.

Like graphics in a video game. Gameplay trumps graphics, but if gameplay is equal, graphics will then sway opinions.

That's just my take on B&W films. I understand why they're not popular, but at the same time, people shouldn't judge a B&W film before watching it.