Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how much time has elapsed in equestria since season 1?

Chronamut

I thought alcoholic cider foamed, not nonaocoholic.  

Did a little bit of looking into it just now; Someone else on these forums (a post from a few years ago) kind of answered this:

They were also emptying it from a nozzle at a relatively high pressure. If you shake up a bottle of regular apple cider, it gets bubbles in it, so it's probably the same if you were to squirt it out of a container like that.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

sorry for bumping such an old thread. I was just wondering the same yesterday. 

Im watching the show again. and yeah as yall said before: S4 premiere states that one year has happened since S1 premiere. 

I find its too fast, it happened everything non-stop. twi student, discord, wedding, twi improving magic so much more, twi princess, equestria girls movie 1..   but its reasonable and factible, so no objections.

but in S1, winter was before autum! (winter wrap-up EP 11 ---> Fall weather friends EP13)

and then in later episodes is no fall or winter again, so its like spring. so actually in S1 it happened more than a year unless in equestria seasons work diferent (wich i can see it since seasons are changed by ponies and not the earth itself)

but imo that doesnt mean anything, cause back then writers didnt care: the show wasnt big, only targeted at girls, etc. later they started doing a bigger and cohesive universe. 

yo yeah officially and canon S1 premiere to S4 premiere = year

now i wonder how many time since S4 premiere to S7 premiere

In the crystal war timeline you could interpret "Rarity left ponyville years ago" as she did it because the war started back then. What would mean that at least a few years passed between season 1 and 3.

In the Nightmare Moon timeline Nightmare also said that she had banished Celestia to the moon years ago, what makes it canon that more than one year passed already.

Actually I would say that every season takes place during one year, what would mean that the Mane6 are now in their mid- /late-20s (since they where supposed to be in their late teens/early 20s at the beginning of the show)

But it has probably only been 2-4 years. :I

Btw:

I personally think it is a bit stupid to take the holidays as a reference.

After all they could celebrate them without us seeing it. We hardly see them celebrating birthdays as well.

Edited by Aya. K.
  • Brohoof 1

Season 1 to the beginning of season 4, one year. Then season 5 seemed to be a full year, and then season 6 became a whole 'nother year since we had two Hearth's Warming episodes close together. So I'll say it's been three years! ;)

I just remembered something:

In Legend of Everfree Rarity mentioned that everything in the EG movies happened during one year, and if there is no time difference between the human world and the pony world, that means that at least everything between the season 3 finale and the season 5 finale happened during roughly a year as well.

Edited by Aya. K.

Ok, you people need to stop turning this into a freaking science project lol. The answer is far more simple than you might at first think. Take a look at the image below:

1490743600670.png

(^ if I forgot any episodes please let me know)

It has been established that seasons in Equestria cycle the same way as on Earth (see Tanks for the Memories for reference). With this in mind, we can conclude that there are at LEAST 4 years that the series has spanned across since Winter Wrap Up (ergo s1 ep 11), which we of course do not count as it was implied to be chronologically close to the beginning of the season. From season 1-2, we can see that one year has passed. In seasons 3 and 4, there is a peculiar absence of any cycling into the Winter season. Now you can count it at face value and say this means the events from Season 2 Episode 11 all the way through Season 5 Episode 5 all took place within a year. However, I think that is a bit of a stretch considering how much took place from S2-5. So my proposal is that we equate variables into the picture. 4 years is the constant, the minimum, if you will. You can add 1 or 2 years to your liking to account for S3-4.

Now, there is one last thing to address. Some people may argue that the two Winter-themed episodes in season 5 may take place within the same Winter despite the large gap between episodes and the fact that the episodes in between these two were not Winter themed. The argument here would be that occasionally episodes take place within the same time period and are spread apart either sporadically or inverse chronilogically as seen with Just for Sidekicks & Games Ponies Play and Winter Wrap Up & Fall Weather Friends respectively. In this case, you may want to subtract one year from the equation. ^-^

On 3/21/2017 at 4:47 PM, Aya. K. said:

In the crystal war timeline you could interpret "Rarity left ponyville years ago" as she did it because the war started back then. What would mean that at least a few years passed between season 1 and 3.

Except those years would be between S3 premiere and S5 finale :huh:. Well, we got our first heartswarming in S2, got another one in S5, and ANOTHER in S6. Also AJs comment about Rarity having left years (in plural) ago, that means that at least two years passed. But that gap covers S5 HWE. With that, I think at least four in-universe years passed. That brings a problem with the cuties though. They should be more noticeably older by now :huh:

• 7 months later...

Yeah it's confusing. The first 3 seasons has to be a year though like was stated. The episodes in the first 3 season feels very jumpy off the timeline as well... like a season 1 episode could take place after a season two one and so on.

I personally think that if the first 3 seasons has to take place between 1 year then episodes had to happen in between episode since some episodes had time pass in them. I disagree with season 1 to 3 being one year and have to take place in about 2 or 3 years instead but this could explain some stuff.

Season 4 could be similar being a few months to a year. Now Season 5 through 7 has to be a huge jump considering how they act in season 7. They act as if it's been like 7 to 10 years since the first episode. In fact, the only thing hindering this as a fact is that the CMC still have their filly bodies... even though the show acts as if they've aged considerably. i conclude that Season 5 through 7 has to be like 3 to 6 years.

Hard to explain, but I would say they're about the same age as their human counterparts, but time works different in Equestria. I would say 2 1/2 years most likely. Since we've seen two Summer Sun Celebrations, Two Nightmare Nights, and Three Hearts Warming Eve. I'm only guessing.

I guess the only reliable way to somewhat keep time in the show is by counting how many holidays have passed since the beginning of the show, and assuming that these holidays are only an annual event, we can judge how many years have passed in the show since it's start. 

10 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

Seasons 1-3 was one year, 4 and 5 were another, and 6 and 7 are another! Since there were three Hearth's Warmings, that means at least 3 years went by!

I would say that this is a pretty accurate guess on how many years have gone by, and now that we are going into season 8 I would say that it's probably been about 3 1/2 years, or at least it will be when season 8 starts. 

On 11/4/2015 at 0:24 PM, Daring_Do said:

Word of Faust says

Faust isn't running the show anymore. 

On 11/4/2015 at 0:24 PM, Daring_Do said:

they're 12-17 maturity-wise (and that she kind of used horses aging differently to justify them having adult independence, because she didn't want to tell stories about parents and school).

and it's things like this that make me glad she isn't. That makes no sense under any context. When did Rarity open up her boutique, when she was seven? Clearly it's had to have been open for years in order to get the recognition she's been getting. Are the cmc's like 3 or something? No wait they aren't because they established that Sweetie was five years ago, and she looked notably different then while RARITY looked the same. Plus we've seen what teenage ponies look like so we KNOW she wasn't a teenager at the time. 

The horse year thing is further called bullshit on when there are SEVERAL characters at least a couple hundred years old (Like Granny Smith and Doctor Hooves) and a couple more that are at least a thousand, aka the princesses. The lifespan of a regular horse from our world pays absolutely NO part in these characters, at least it hasn't since Faust left. 

Much like with other things in this show (glares at the travesty that is how their solar system is even supposed to function), it is best if they keep doing what they doing and leave it ambiguous. Cause as soon as they attach hard numbers onto their ages, there are going to be a crap ton of questions to follow. 

And before you bring up Equestria Girls as a counterpoint, I'll rebut by saying that the Ponies are just older on average than their human counterparts. Unless you want to explain to me how the human Celestia stayed principle for a thousand years. 

On 11/6/2015 at 2:54 PM, Daring_Do said:

Uh, apple cider in the show isn't *really* hard cider (even though bronies treat it that way).

Cause it is. But lets say you are right and the clearly foaming beverage that ponies lineup for days for is somehow just regular apple cider. The BEST you could say is it wouldn't be alcoholic to US, but to the ponies it definitely is. You even admit they have other alcohol jokes with Salt and such. And that was during the Faust days! In fact the case could be made that the juice of other fruit could be alcoholic to them too. 

full.png

As shown here. Which is Official Hasbro comic material. 

Now ask yourself, would Hasbro; Toy selling, angry mom appeasing HASBRO show underage drinking? Or endorse it? No, no they wouldn't. So it would make sense then that these ponies are of drinking age, making them at MINIMUM 21. 

Onto the ORIGINAL question, I think at LEAST two years have gone by. However things have changed a bit over time with the show. I don't think we'll be seeing another Winter Wrap up song or things like that since the show's gone in a different direction than that. 

As far as age is concerned... By season seven they would have to be in their mid to upper 20's. Maud got her Rockterate so i think it's safe to say she's 26. Pinkie is younger but she can't be to much younger than that. Fluttershy is one year older than pinkie but she has a brother slacking in school. I think it's safe to say he's 22-24ish... which I think how old Rainbow is. Rainbow loves cider and had a birthday cake with 21 candles in season 4 so I would say she's 24 in season 7. This means that Fluttershy in turn can't be younger than 24 or older than 26. This in turn means that Pinky is 23-25.

Now... we know Apple Jack and Rarity are the oldest in the group. Rarity age is pretty high because she was shown as a fully grown pony when sweetie bell was five. Now... consider that applejack parents didn't show up in her flashback then that means that her sister is already born. There no real way to say how long it's been since they all gotten their cutiemark but let's say it's been 10 years. That makes Applejack sister 10 at the beginning of the show and Sweetie bells the same. At minimum that means she was around 16-18 when Sweetiebell was 5 and 21-23 when the show started.  I think it's been about 5 years since the start so i would say she is 26-28. Applejack has to be either slightly older or younger because she says she was last in her class to... referring that Rarity was not in the same class. I would guess older though so 27-29.

Now Twilight is the hardest to guess at all. She seem to act a lot older in the later seasons and was giving seminars in what looked like a college at the end of season 5 so i would say she's older than 22 in season 5. Season 5 - 7 is huge time jumps compared to the first four. I want to say it's about 3 years. Twilight is at least 25 in season 7.

Starlight seems to be younger than them and older than them at the same time. When she was a villian... she seemed older. When she turned good... she seemed younger. I will go with younger since the show seems to point to it more. She thought her friend was a powerful wizard and super important at that point by then so she would have to be the age completely out of school... which is usually 18-22... but she's twilight pupil... and treated younger than her which would put her under 25.

Here are the ages I personally think they are. 

Twilight 27 

Pinky 25

Fluttershy 26

Rarity 28

Applejack 29

Rainbow Dash 24

Starlight Glimmer 22

Mind you... this is all head canon. I had to make up most of it for it to even make since but i went with how the show make me feel how old they are.

It is my understanding that Hasbro has said that the first 3 seasons were 1 year. I've been working on a timeline for the episodes & this is mathematically possible, especially if you assume that the Crusader episodes take place during other episodes. The order is scrambled.  If nothing else, Winter Wrap Up (S11) and Fall Weather Friends (S13) are out of sequence & Hearth's Warming Eve (S2) has to be between them

The events of the first EQ Girls' movie have to take place between Magical Mystery Cure (Twilight becomes an alicorn) and Princess Twilight (Elements of Harmony are returned to the Tree of Harmony). Princess Twilight  starts "2 days until the Summer Sun Celebration", 1 year to the day after the start of the pilot.

Season 4 HAS TO take place between the events of Magical Mystery Cure (Twilight becomes an alicorn) and Twilight's Kingdom (the treebrary is destroyed and Twilight gains the castle)

Season 5. Scare Master takes place on Nightmare Night (Oct.31?), year 2. Assuming that at least The Cutie Map & probably Castle, Sweet Castle take place before that, S4 has to end no later than mid October, year 2.

Season 5 onward are possibly mixed together like the first 3 Seasons, IDK

So, the timeline

First 3 Seasons   June 19 year one to second week of June year 2

First EQ Girls movie

Season 4   June 19 year 2 to mid October year 2

Season 5+ Late October year 2 onwards.

IMO, it is at least late spring year 2, & possibly into year 3. 

Edited by sweetolebob18

It doesn't make sense, some events from the show make me think it has been at least 5 years from the first episode, but the CMC and the baby cakes defy that conclusion.

As some others have stated, the minimum time must be 3 - 3.5 years. Baby cakes need an older design ASAP, especially when one considers how Sweetie Belle looked like at 5yo.