Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who else hates all these new Internet terms?

Spikey-Wikey

I don't really give a damn about the popular words today (even though it can be cringeworthy at times to hear people use them for the sake of being "hip" or "cool"). There was a time when bodacious was a popular word, along with groovy. How many people do you hear use those words today? And if you say "those are different", no they aren't. They were made up words people used to describe things, just like today. Some may last longer, while most of these words will probably fade away. I also can't stand people who say this generation is the worst just becuase of words people are using. Tell me how perfect your generation was. Every generation has good things, every generation has bad things. No generation is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm same with you, all the ones you listed I hate plus Twerk and Selfie. I just can't get on with them and is it really that hard just to say a few extra words to describe what you are talking about?

Oh, yes. I cannot stand "twerk". The whole thing is a big, annoying cry for attention by Miley Cyrus for people to take her seriously after Hannah Montana.

I don't really mind them much, and I use them as a joke half the time. Although, I hate the people who actually take those words seriously and use them in every day sentences. Just no, please don't. D:

Not a fan of them, I might use them sardonically but not going to use them any time soon.

I cringed at the thought twerk was added to the English dictionary. I mean... really world? Really? I know shake your booty usually connotes to shaking it horizontally; but would it not work with vertically shaking it? Do we have to make up a stupid word to define making a booty bounce up and down? Something of which that I am incapable of doing. For... reasons.

Some of the terms mentioned above aren't internet-based.

Banter and Squad especially I've heard and been using way before it became 'cool' with the whole internet craze for memes in the 2010s. To be fair, Banter is just a very british term and used quite frequently so I don't mind it at all.

Swag, Yolo and Bae are kinda weird, mainly because I never hear them in real life, so um...yeah :LLL

Well Banter was a phrase us brits have used for years. It's good to see it has spread to you guys in America over the web owo.

We literally have a comedy TV channel called Dave who's tag line has been for years 'The home of [/size]witty banter.' [/size]

And I yeah most of those suck. But can be used for a piss-take well.

(And admittedly I use Bae around my friends when talking about my girlfriend XD)

For the record, I'm American, 23, and "banter" as a word was always present in my time. Dunno how any people didn't know it existed pre-internet, but then, I'm a literature person and have read books, including plenty from before the time of even radio, all my life, so maybe I'm not a typical case, since I'm not an average American.

But yes, for anyone who doesn't believe those who've already said it existed already: I'm graduating uni tomorrow with a degree in the English language. I can definitely confirm that "banter" is not an Internet term. And the use of "squad" doesn't seem wrong at all to me and doesn't bother me at all.

As for my opinion on the others, well, I'm not "hip" so they used to bug me all the time because I didn't know what people were trying to say. I don't really like the words, but these days when I see one I'm unfamiliar with, I just hit up Urban Dictionary and then move on with my life.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
(edited)

Words like "fam", "lit", "squad", etc, are so pissing annoying.

Especially people who use them.

But people who use emojis all them.... those idiots are even worse,

Edited by Keiyara

There is a whole plethora of words that I have been introduced to me through the internet that irk me slightly (or more than slightly).

I am unlikely to take seriously anyone that uses words like 'bae' or 'fam'

Bae.

It means something people don't expect.

Only in Danish.  There are a great many words that mean different things in different languages.  For example, the Vauxhall motor company had to rename their popular 'Nova' model for sale in the European market, because in Spanish, No va means 'doesn't go', not exactly a great name for a car.  Anyway, I digress.

Additionally, pretty much the entire made up lexicon of sites like tumblr, and their fascination with collecting labels like they're Pokemon cards.  The complete misuse of foreign language terms, particularly borrowed Japanese words like 'Otaku', which does not mean an anime fan, it is actually an extremely derogatory term for someone who has a very unhealthy obsession over a single interest.

• Brohoof 2

I've gotten used to those...I mean...Nobody is being harmed with the words YOLO and SWAG...As far as I know.

Granted whenever someone uses the term SJW I can no longer take them seriously...They sound like high schoolers.

Breeh all of these internet terms existed ages before they became part of the mass-scale pop culture dictionary. It's all just slang that started lowkey in some town or city that some outsider heard and was like "Yo, I fucks with this", and spread the term to their friends.

Personally I love slang: there is a certain amount of creativity in every word, a new way to express an old feeling or action.

I'm disconnected from your world :|

It's all the same to me. I see them so little in my daily life that I don't realise they exist until I check out dank memes on Facebook

(edited)

Honestly I don't understand most of them. It seems there's a whole new batch of them every other day and I can't keep up with all that.

Abbreviations are also overused to the point where they become like another new language. I guess that comes from all the fast internet chatting and such, but again, I can't keep up with them. I can usually figure them out after a while, but I'd much rather use real words in their entirety. Language can be a beautiful thing and it should be used.  :twi:

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

Honestly I don't understand most of them. It seems there's a whole new batch of them every other day and I can't keep up with all that.

Me too, and that makes me feel so OLD! Back in my day emojis were called emoticons, hurr durr!

Kids these days! -shakes fist-

Some slang options used this generation definitely lack for the creativity.  Bae?  Oh, you just misspelled "babe."  Fam?  You forgot a couple letters there.  It's "family."  I understand using it in the past with texting to save having to tap letters, but modern cellphones have full keyboards and autocorrect meaning there is no excuse not to spend the fraction of a second to finish typing out the word anymore.  Additionally, saying the shorthand in-person just makes you sound like a moderately intelligent gerbil.  The same as saying "lol" as a word in-person.

Some words seeing more use such as banter are not slang.  Banter has been around for a long time as a word to describe the good-natured ribbing two friends give each other.  Then again, I spend my high school years actually learning, not socializing or arguing about who is dating whom.  If I have ten apples in a pile and remove one, I just decimated the apples.  If I say I'm masticating a slice of pizza, I'm eating some lunch.  If I mention I'm hanging out with a squad, I'm talking about a small group of friends focused on a task.  This isn't slang, it's the actual definition of the word.  It is simply a case of the language is (in my opinion) dumbing down because so few are actually interested in reading anymore unless it is a text from their babe.

• 2 years later...