Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Should Nintendo cut it's prices a bit, on the Wii U Virtual Console games?

Mesme Rize

I am probably the only guy here, who actually cares about the Wii U Virtual Console, but i write it down anyway.

When Nintendo introduced the Virtual Console almost 9 years ago, i freaking loved the idea. It was one of my reasons to buy a Wii back then and i am buying games from there, through the Wii U, especially since now GBA and DS games are also on it.

However, i think Nintendo should cut the prices on the NES, SNES and N64 games. They still have the same price tag as they had 9 years ago and since that time, i think the games have lost a bit off worth. Not in the fun factor, i still love these games. But they are quite old (Super Mario Bros. Turned 30 for christ sake.)

I would suggest that the NES, SNES and N64 games should atleast be 1 Euro (Dollar) cheaper and the GBA and DS games should remain as they are.

What do you think?

They could certainly stand to lower the prices on the non-tentpole releases (not mario, zelda, etc)  People might actually give em a go.  Other than that, I would like to see some general sales.  With emulation being such a prevalent thing, I don't think most people would view anything short of 'everything should be free' as acceptable.

• Brohoof 1

I think the NES games need to be one dollar. I mean, the original Donkey Kong is 5 dollars... Seriously Nintendo? The game only has three levels!

But I don't mind paying more for the SNES and Nintendo 64 titles since some of those are pretty well done.

• Brohoof 5

Ehhh...I personally think they never should have been so expensive in the first place.

Emulating Super Mario Bros on a Wii should not cost $5. It should be like $1-2.

I bought the Mega Man Anniversary collection for its original retail price of $20.

That's Mega Man 1-6, 7, 8, and two fighting arcade games.

If it followed the VC prices, 1-6 would have cost $30. 7, a SNES game, raises it to $38 and 8, a PS1 game, let's say it's $10 like the N64 games, raises it up to $48.

Then there's the arcade games and bonus content (it came with the first episode of the Mega Man cartoon).

So it was a lot of content for price AND on a physical disc.

For the work Nintendo puts into selling these games digitally, they're making a higher profit than they spent.

So I've personally always felt that $5 for NES and so on, was always too much.

I personally haven't really complained about it and I have bought a lot of VC games.

A. These prices still destroy the ridiculously high prices of games sold on eBay, swap meets, and game stores. Those prices are whack. Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt used to sell for like a quarter at Game Crazy back in 2005. Now I see it sell for like $10 sometimes.

B. Convenience. Not having to hunt the game down and having it on one console makes the prices tolerable.

C. $5 isn't that expensive for an NES game. The GBA classic NES series games were like $20 for a single game.

So to answer your question, I don't necessarily think they should cut prices, but rather they should have cut prices back in 2006.

At this point, I highly doubt they'll cut prices and considering their point of view (it costs us little to sell these and people are paying ragardless), I can't blame them for keeping the prices as they are. They probably will never lower them other than for sales

• Brohoof 1

Yes. Something's not right when an NES game costs almost as much as an average PS1 game on PSN. 

Wouldn't hurt to make SNES and N64 games cheaper too

Edited by ChicksDigGiantRobots

Yeah I think it would be a good idea, Especially considering people can easily emulate stuff by downloading ROM's on PCs, Androids, I pads, PSP's etc for free.

Also I bet you could easily pick up some of the games on the VC in their original format for not much more or even less.

Yeah I think it would be a good idea, Especially considering people can easily emulate stuff by downloading ROM's on PCs, Androids, I pads, PSP's etc for free.

Also I bet you could easily pick up some of the games on the VC in their original format for not much more or even less.

Well, as much of retro gamer i am, i can't really put all those consoles in my room and i don't really like to use ROMs, because these games are worth their money.

• Brohoof 1

I agree completely. I have always thought that the prices for these were a bit outrageous, especially since we are paying that much for simple roms. The 64 game prices are okay, but the SNES and NES prices are crazy. SNES should be $5 at the most and the NES ones should be I think $2 or $3. GBA games in my opinion are also a bit too much, they should be around the $5 mark as well. Kinda feels ike Nintendo is cashing in on people's nostalgia with these.

Yes they should. Compared to competitors their digital games are to expensive. I'm only judging by the 3DS eShop though. Some of their gameboy games are only about £3 though and if they were any good I'd call that acceptable. Not to mention 1st party 3ds games are still £40 to download.

I think they should as well and have a bigger library. The virtual console are generic emulators, no better and sometimes much worse than what you'd find on the web. You could hypothetically feed it any rom and it would play it like a normal emulator with the primary development cost on Nintendo's part being testing. Case in point, my unpatched 3ds that can play Pokemon yellow.

As a side note too about emulators, all they do at their core is simulate a CPU and trick a binary file into thinking it's running on something else. Really nothing all that complicated, I'm considering writing one as a project next year.

But yeah, lets just say I'm really happy that I kept all my old consoles and games. Somehow, kid Celtore knew he would want to take a nostalgia trip almost 20 years later.