Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Need for Speed

Toothpaste

I searched through a number of pages of topics and found nothing for NFS. Which is a shame since NFS is the pinnacle of all gaming (in my opinion).

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can talk about likes and dislikes about Need for Speed games and the franchise itself. This thread will also serve as a great place to exchange PSN names and whatnot.

So I guess to start off, I got Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Not the newest of the series, but still a darn lot of fun. Surprisingly, the world and the flow of the roads are superior to Rivals, the newer version of Hot Pursuit.

Aside from Slightly delayed controls and the online pass fee, I can't really think of many reasons why one should buy Rivals over it. Truly a brilliant game.

Edit: The race called Vanishing Point is being stupidly hard to get gold... I might have just started the game, but when it comes to Need for Speed, gold is the only satisfying acheivement.

Edit: Finally stuck gold on that challenge. Apparently I was only 0.36 seconds off from gold in the first place, cuz 1:22.00 is gold, wheras 1:22.36 is not.

Edited by Toothpaste

In my opinion the series went to hell when criterion started making it.

I love Burnout and I love NFS but they took a few good things mixed it with bad things and completely neglected the best features of both games like the Crash gamemode and car customization.

The new game does give me hope after seeing trailers.

Edited by MoltenKitten

In my opinion the series went to hell when criterion started making it.

I love Burnout and I love NFS but they took a few good things mixed it with bad things and completely neglected the best features of both games like the Crash gamemode and car customization.

The new game does give me hope after seeing trailers.

Well after spending extra time on it and also promising that they would listen to what the fans would have to say, I'm sure it will be the reason why I buy a PS4.

Also, I have no problem with what Criterion is doing with the series (aside from the lack of splitscreen action). I would really like to know the specifics about what made Criterion ruin the franchise. :P

I remember the good old need for speed days on the PS2, so many memories...of me making my car look like a pile of crap and then crashing into every wall in site.

• Brohoof 1

I remember the good old need for speed days on the PS2, so many memories...of me making my car look like a pile of crap and then crashing into every wall in site.

If you are referring to Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005), then I have those exact same memories. Spend an hour customizing a car... Spend twelve minutes driving the car... And then give up on the car entirely as it is a failure at all good things in racing...

Good times~

• Brohoof 1

Well after spending extra time on it and also promising that they would listen to what the fans would have to say, I'm sure it will be the reason why I buy a PS4.

Also, I have no problem with what Criterion is doing with the series (aside from the lack of splitscreen action). I would really like to know the specifics about what made Criterion ruin the franchise. :P

I already stated what made it bad.

If you are referring to Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005), then I have those exact same memories. Spend an hour customizing a car... Spend twelve minutes driving the car... And then give up on the car entirely as it is a failure at all good things in racing...

Good times~

Actually...I played need for speed underground for about a year and then I started playing need for speed underground 2, and that's where the nostalgia really kicks in for me, esspecially the effect for the boost where you're screen goes all blurry and the rear lights start making a trail.

Actually...I played need for speed underground for about a year and then I started playing need for speed underground 2, and that's where the nostalgia really kicks in for me, esspecially the effect for the boost where you're screen goes all blurry and the rear lights start making a trail.

I get the nostalgia from that product placement

• Brohoof 1

You know what game I really want to play again? Need for Speed: Underground 2. Played it years ago, never finished it.

I finished it. But, back then I didn't finished Most Wanted 2005 in PS2 since mofo Razor's bounty is too high for me at that time >: (

Now, I have Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) in my Mac, which I have finished  :D

Best gaming decision ever. Speaking of which, I think I may want to restart again. XD

But, I felt that NFS went downhill after Carbon. NFSU2, MW '05 and Carbon are the top 3 NFS games.

Edited by Magnum Flare

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how Underground 2 is already nostalgic when my favourite NFS game is High Stakes. Might not be too spectacular by itself by today's standards, but probably hundreds, if not thousands of third-party vehicles have been made for it. There are even fan-made tracks and converted NFS2SE tracks available for NFS4:HS. It's similar to the original Hot Pursuit in this regard and based on Hot Pursuit, but it has nifty extra features like new tracks (along with the classic NFS3:HP tracks; gotta love to barrel through Lost Canyons with a muscle car) and damage.

The one NFS part I regret having missed because it was killed off too early is Motor City Online. Think MMO racing game with way more detailed tuning than any Underground part and 100% classic Detroit Iron. It was an entirely online game and ended when EA shut down the servers.

Funniest thing to do in UG1 and UG2: Rice out your car to ridiculous levels and keep the tech specs stock (except for the suspensions because you have to slam yo ride).

Funniest thing to do in Carbon: Get a classic muscle car, soup up the engine (don't forget the blower sticking out), tear off all stickers if it has any, paint it matte black and keep tyres, suspensions and brakes stock. Then put on some early Ramones and floor it. Alternatively, paint it some 70s metallic tone, slap on flames or something similarly tacky, everything else stays the same (pity you can't chrome-plate the blower), and pretend you're driving a Matchbox or Hot Wheels toy.

Second-funniest thing to do in UG2 and Carbon: Shiny black gangsta-mobile on the largest gold-plated spinnaz (UG2) or spoke wheels (Carbon) you can get. Don't forget the air-ride.

Third-funniest thing to do in UG2: Take a muscle car (Mustang works best), turn it into a veritable streetmachine (pity you don't have scallops), install hydraulics, misuse them as hi-jackers for the rear axle.

Third-funniest thing to do in Carbon: Eleanor. Complete with NOS GO BABY GO. Or if you've got way too much time, General Lee.

Ah NFS, the series that got me into racing and I...sadly left behind again :(

I played Underground and Carbon the most really. Carbon was the last NFS game I purchased although I saw no problems in the next instalments up until Rivals (which was...eh). I kinda moved on to Forza after Carbon was complete.

But yeah, Burnout and NFS was the shiz back when I was a kid playing nothing but racing games because my parents wouldn't buy me any other games :D

The first Need for Speed I got was Need For Speed III Hot Pursuit.  It was awesome, I didn't beat it until a year ago.  I've played Underground 2, Carbon and both Most Wanted games.  I'm really liking the customization and realistic graphics in the new Need For Speed.  I missed the detailed vehicle customization.

• Brohoof 1

I think somewhere in my boxes of games I have a few NFS games. The ones I remember are Carbon, Underground, Most Wanted, and Underground 2. After a while I just stopped playing them, and switched over to Forza and Gran Turismo.

• 3 months later...

I was never hugely into racing games back in the day, but some of the NFS games, I had a soft spot for them. I remember having NFS II Hot Pursuit for the PS1 and I loooooooved that game. Later on I played a lot of Underground 2 which was a pretty awesome game and then I played through all of NFS Most Wanted (2005), that was actually the first NFS game that I beat, I may have the most nostalgia with that one. 

I have little interesting in the series hnowadays, especially since I love games like Forza now, but I do have NFS Rivals downloaded for the Xbox One, I will have to try it sometime. :)