S05:E22 - What About Discord?  

200 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I enjoyed it
    • I loved it ... happy little trees <3

The more I think about this episode, the more I want to pretend it never existed. The main issue for me was that this whole lesson felt mean-spirited towards Twilight, toward the point it drove her to tears. It just doesn't feel right. And the same goes for the reactions of her friends.

Whenever Discord tries to teach Twilight a lesson it's done in a comedic and fun kind of way, this lesson and the way it was executed felt out of place. In the end, I still want to pretend that Discord bonded with all the Mane 6 over the course of the season, but with no association to this episode whatsoever.

Unfortunately since Discord became close with the girls over a weekend that we didn't get to see a single second of, actually seeing it happen is a missed opportunity we'll probably never get to witness. :(

It annoyed when friends agree with Discord. 

That was the best part for me. 

They didn't entertain the thought of being under a spell for even a second, which was a great step forward from the ponies who were all too willing to "blast him back to stone" at the drop of a hat in the season 4 premiere.

Okay, I feel I need to talk about some more of my issues with the later half of season 5 so I better start with the big one.
Yeah.

This episode.
An episode with Discord, the character that got me hooked on MLP.
This is the worst episode i have ever seen of any series I enjoyed.

This it the first episode in MLP that is permanently at the bottom of my favorite to least favorite episodes,
First of all, the opening, okay, the Twlight spending an entire weekend re-shelving to cut down 3 secs in finding a book would have been funny in season 1 but at this point it flies in the face of all the lessons she's learned and making spike suffer through it is even less funny. 
Second, the premise of this episode is twilight not getting a joke? Call the presses, the spock of the show doesn't get a joke. Also when you present jokes out of context to be not funny, they're not funny. Also, thanks for having discord make friends with the remaining 4 of the main 6 OFF SCREEN. they could have at-least have used another pony for this besides twilight but... actually thats exactly what they should have done, why wasn't this a Pinkie pie and Discord episode? Pinkie Pie not getting a joke could be played for more laughs while also being something I can feel more invested in, Twilight's placement in this just feels odd. and her whole "Princess's don't get jealous" thing felt completely out of place, what does she think she's going to become the new nightmare moon if she feels the slightest bit of envy? And then the ending where everyone turns the inside joke plot against discord, I suddenly find it much funnier, not because "I was there" but because discords reaction was the first bit of real humor since the episode began, because unlike twilight, he wasn't in denial for 2 thirds of the episode.
I'd vent more but I want to hear why I'm wrong about those points in some hope of saving this episode.

• Brohoof 2

I was very, very hyped for this episode, which is probably also a reason I'm so disappointed in it. Discord is my favourite character from the whole show. We never know what he's really up to, we don't know what he's gonna do next, and he does whatever he wants regardless of rules and limitations. Of course, the mane six don't trust him because of that ('cept for fluttershy of course), but in this episode, they are suddenly friends after just ONE weekend? after his actions in "The Return of Harmony"? ok, he was "reformed" later, but after said reform, he betrayed the whole land of equestria and put everything and everybody in danger with helping tirek. I would've expected the mane six to still be angry about that, to be skeptical when it comes to Discord, but no, they are, all out of a sudden, best pals? this just doesn't make any sense. you can't really be mad at Twilight for thinking that Discord put a spell on the other mane five. they were all acting kinda rude, not to say bitchy, towards Twily. not only are they suddenly best friends with Discord, they also don't notice how he's acting like a dick towards her? C'mon on man. And Twilight being jealous of others is completely out of character by now. it would've been better if that would've been an episode at the beginning of season four, when twilight is still new to the princess-business. it would've also shown discord in a better light. but the way it is, this is not a good episode, and I hope they learned out of its mistakes.

This is by far my least favorite episode. I wish it wasn't cannon. Its not realistic for the mane 5 to just all of the sudden becoming bestie with a terrorist. Forgiving is one thing, but this was not that. Did not make sense to me. Thats like Obama being best friends with Bin Laden because Bin laden wore peanut butter on his feet. See what I mean? weird.

• Brohoof 3

I liked this episode, to an extent. But I found the problem was, too realistic, when explaining to people why I liked the show, I explain that it has real applications to real world problems.

But this one, just reminded me of petty jerkish people I've met in my past.

I was a social outcast in my childhood, and this episode really hit home, and reminded me how ostracized I was.

Yeah I'm old enough now that my pariah existence as an adolescent doesn't enter my mind much these days but I had friends who did this purposely to me to cut me out of the group and I found myself getting flashbacks on an almost Fluttershy level. :(

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think the episode would have been better if the other 5 invited Twilight to spend time with them over the weekend, and then Twilight turns them down in favor of book arranging, only to have her regret it later when she sees how much fun her friends had without her during that weekend.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Discord's pranks seem somewhat weak now. He is too reformed to be much of a threat anymore and if they tried to make him evil again they will fail because you can't do anything with him anymore.

And it would be really cheesy making him a villain again.

Edited by cider float

• 1 month later...

Well it was nice to see Twilight hasn't changed much. Like, at all. Discord's character has become sufficiently mellowed in my view. Hopefully in the next season he can stir up some mischief again.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good episode but it gets a bit boring after 10 minutes, not much really happens.

I liked the morale and the last scene though, but I'm still a bit disappointed by what Discord became in this season.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good episode but it gets a bit boring after 10 minutes, not much really happens.

I liked the morale and the last scene though, but I'm still a bit disappointed by what Discord became in this season.

Pretty much how I felt. I don't think it was all that bad but it wasn't really engaging either.  -_-

The most underrated episode of season 5...

How so? I'm asking honestly because I'd like to know what you thought about it.  :fluttershy:

• 3 weeks later...

After re-watching this episode again this morning, I'm a little more positive about it. There are still quite a number of cringe-worthy scenes, but the scenes that showed the core of this episode were very well done. Rainbow Dash and Discord (Still love seeing those two together, in particular because Rainbow Dash showed the most hostility and distrust toward Discord in the past), Twilight and Zecora, Twilight trying to make her friends drink the potion, Twilight's tearful outburst, Discord revealing his intentions and Discord's plan turning against him in the end. Those scenes do make the episode worthwhile, but a number of other scenes can still be skipped without missing out on too much.

The ending was a nice touch with Discord hugging the Mane 6 and Spike while they're all laughing. I liked how the writers wanted to show there were no hard feelings and they were still friends. One other positive point was Spike, he played a perfect supporting role and I like how he often reacted in a way we would while watching. ("It's not that funny, I know funny." Spike rolls eyes)

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Honestly this episode could of ended better...

*could have. But yes, there is a LOT about this episode that could (and should) have been done in a different way.

Edited by Dracu98

*could have. But yes, there is a LOT about this episode that could (and should) have been done in a different way.

Exactly, for example the episode could've ended differently

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn’t care for this episode. For people who know what it’s like to be left out of things like inside jokes, it’s not a fun feeling. This episode felt like a cruel joke against Twilight. She was not feeling jealousy. Twilight felt left out because her friends kept  bringing up jokes that she doesn’t understand because she wasn’t there. Instead of realizing that her feelings had been hurt by this, they laughed and say that, “it was funny if you were there”. This was rude and insensitive to someone who wasn’t there. To top it off, her friends never apologized to her or got mad at Discord for manipulating them. The mane 5 felt very out of character in this episode. 

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I think I agree with those who felt the whole thing was just a mean prank on twilight to hurt her. Sure she leaped to the conclusion it was a spell a bit fast but its not entirely unreasonable from a viewers perspective considering how big a turn around in their relationships with him there has been since the last episode with him. Though there is a lot happening offscreen.

Interesting the way a lot of people who were the victims of bullying or exclusion growing up find this episode a lot less amusing. I'm the same especially knowing just why they didn't invite her I don't think I'll rewatch it as it brings up bad memories of growing up.