S05:E22 - What About Discord?  

200 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I enjoyed it
    • I loved it ... happy little trees <3

Well I find thus not as good as the last Discord episode though,but it is still enjoyable. I have to say, this season has been doing great on the morals,this "not to exclude your friends" really hits me,because I have did it a few times before...

This episode was...good, I guess. Honestly, it's the first episode to just make me feel increasingly uncomfortable all the way to the end, I feel really anxious right now. Yeah, friends sometimes do things without you, and maybe you feel a bit jealous, and that's fine, you shouldn't take it out on them and all, but feeling left out really, really can hurt, especially when you get completely used to it.

So, yeah...Good episode, struck a nerve a bit too hard.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty decent episode, not one of my favorites in the season but still quite good. Discord was honestly the best part of it, all of the other characters were kinda meh. Even Twilight was kinda meh as they made her paranoia a bit too forced. The jokes and references were awesome though (Friggin Bob Ross) and I liked the moral and the ending, those were the highlights for me. 

One major issue I have is how they really tried too hard to make Discord seem sinister, makes the question arise if he is truly reformed even now. I don't care about it as long as they don't do some revert nonsense down the line, but that was an odd thing about the episode.

Ha! Fun episode. I liked it alot. LOVED the Bob Ross references and the Doc and Marty references made my eyes pop out. Very appropriate for this year. Everypony was on point in terms of personality and I like that they made Spike the voice of wisdom early on. It's clear that Discord is at a pre-k level when socially interacting in an un-evil and civil way. Overall, very entertaining and kept me wondering what the moral was up to the very end, which was rushed, but not a drawback. Thumbs up.

Wow, that was kind of an odd one.

I thought the episode wasn't that good, but Discords jokes where again hilarious and it saved the episode for me.

Twilight, i love you more then anybody else, but come on. You're above this kinda thing. Seeing her jealous and all and trying to be perfect and stuff like that, was kinda painful. It actually looked like the version, that those anti twilight guys say she is. Maybe that was kinda the intention of the writers, to make Twilight be wrong and they went all out with this.

But this was all about Discord. Bob Ross, BTTF, Snakecord, etc. He was on fire this episode and John de Lancie is always entertaining for me. You could put him on a stage for 3 hours and improvise. He is always hilarious.

Anyway. This is guilty pleasure episode, which i can't look at objectively.

• Brohoof 1

This episode was... ok, I guess. It was a hell of lot better than the last Discord episode that's for sure, but it didn't leave much of a lasting impression with me like other episodes. Granted, it's not a bad episode, just run-of-the-mill really.

The plot was pretty predictable actually. It was obvious that at some point Twilight would jump to conclusions and believe that Discord must have manipulated them at some point, but it led to a cameo by Zecora so there's that at least. I'm conflicted on the ending though. Not just for how unsubtle Twilight was in her belief that they were all under a spell (I assumed she was just going to slip the potion into their drinks before revealing its purpose) but also when Discord just outright admits that he purposely asked them not to invite Twilight just to get under her skin and then tried to dress it up as some kind of plan to teach her a lesson.

The lesson itself is a good one, don't get me wrong, but I would have preferred if this was all a happy accident rather than Discord finding someway to be a jerk.

What about What About Discord?

What I liked:

Discord: Good characterization overall. He's got a good level of sinisterism to him as well as being high. Also best troll teacher.

The Mane 6: All were really good if not completely utilited. Also how they reacted to Twilight's accusation of being under a spell was really good.

Twilight: Nice to see her completely in the wrong here as well as portraying her more negative emotions. It seemed like this was a rebuttal against those who think now that Twilight is a Princess she's flawless, an assessment Twilight echos herself a little

The Moral: Nice moral, that you can have negative emotions, it's just you need to recognize them and admit to them to move past them. 

Spike: Smaller role than the Mane 6 but he's still best Twilight voice of Reason.

Zecora: ZECORA'S BACK BABY!!!!!

What I didn't like:

The end joke: The whole shoes on the other foot scene at the very end with Discord was both too fast as well as completely unnecessary

Exposition central: The end moral was a bit too tell don't show, but it's very minor

What was there:

Low Energy: Not to much happens in this episode, not too many jokes, not too much drama, tragedy, laughs or the like.  It was a straight forward Slice of Life episode and given how many well done episodes we've had like that this one isn't exactly reaching a pinnacle.  Not to say it was bad but it's a bit overshadowed by it's more lustrous counterparts in the series. 

What was perfectly time:

The Bob Ross reference right as his Twitch stream was ending

What was AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

FlutterOrange...FlutterOrange. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So overall a pretty good episode, but the low energy made it seem rather low key so it fall below Make New Friends But Keep Discord for me

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 6

Gotta love a Discord episode! Everyone seems to be talking about the Back to the Future and Bob Ross references, are you all in familiar with the movie that the title is a reference to? What about Bob was a brilliantly funny Bill Murray movie. Discord's outfit towards the end was from that movie, even the jar around his neck.

Also, relieved to see Zecora! I was worried that she had been killed when Tierk was blasting the forest.

*(apparently, she was at the Doodle wedding)

• Brohoof 2

What how, the ep would not work at all if Discord was not there.

I dunno, first I thought that Twilight could've gotten into the whole jealousy situation without him there, but seeing as he was the one who told the others to not ask her to hang with them I suppose it would be OOC for the others to not do that on their own. Then again, the dilemma could also have been explained with the others wanting to give her space or something, in which case Discord wouldn't be needed. Just kind of a dillema in my head based on that I guess. :umad:

Wow, that was kind of an odd one.

I thought the episode wasn't that good, but Discords jokes where again hilarious and it saved the episode for me.

Twilight, i love you then anybody else, but come on. You're above this kinda thing. Seeing her jealous and all and trying to be perfect and stuff like that, was kinda painful. It actually looked like the version, that those anti twilight guys say she is. Maybe that was kinda the intention of the writers, to make Twilight be wrong and they went all out with this.

But this was all about Discord. Bob Ross, BTTF, Snakecord, etc. He was on fire this episode and John de Lancie is always entertaining for me. You could put him on a stage for 3 hours and improvise. He is always hilarious.

Anyway. This is guilty pleasure episode, which i can't look at objectively.

I agree with you, except I feel that this was the least amusing Discord episode. I liked some of the pop culture jokes, but I was mostly bored, and annoyed at the inefficient writing in this one. The concept was solid. Its execution left a lot to be desired.

full.png

I just had to post this. RIP Bob Ross.

Discord: "We don't make mistakes. Just chaotic little accidents."

• Brohoof 2

Another thing I just thought about, I mentioned how they tried too hard to make Discord seem sinister here, honestly, this was a huge negative to me in the episode. It made Twilight's suspicions seem more and more justified despite them try to put Twilight in the wrong for the moral. Having Discord be all sinister and act kinda evil goes makes Twilight paranoia seem in the right which goes against the moral. 

I have really mixed feelings about this episode the more I think about it. I don't like how they portrayed Twilight here, they made her a bit TOO paranoid. Seems this episode was all about extremes which in my opinion was a negative. 

• Brohoof 2

I agree with you, except I feel that this was the least amusing Discord episode. I liked some of the pop culture jokes, but I was mostly bored, and annoyed at the inefficient writing in this one. The concept was solid. Its execution left a lot to be desired.

Hmm, maybe i am just easily to be amused, when it comes to refs, because i spout references all the time. Comedy itself is one of the most subjective forms of art anyway.

• Brohoof 1

Here are my thoughts about this:

I have a positive opinion of this episode at the very least.

On one side, my main issue with the episode was Twilight, mainly at the end there where she kinda got a little too jealous (or paranoiac like I said earlier)

And out of nowhere she realised that it was because of her forced isolation from her friends, but I thought they communicated that well at the end.

On the other side, I thought the humour and references were really good (Bob Discross for the win! :P)

And discord with his puns, "orange" you funny.

All of these comedic effects helped to make this episode just nice.

TL;DR: Good episode with nice humour and references, but if Twilight Sparkle could have been written in a better way, then it would have been full worthy of an fully enjoyable episode in my books

Rating: 8/10

One other thing: Since they had Zecora finally come back, why couldn't Twilight just use that time travel observation potion she made during Princess Twilight Sparkle?  I mean it would allow her to see what happened without messing up the Time line  (because she's not actually there) as well as prevents her from being a variable in the recreation of the events 

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 2

I dunno, first I thought that Twilight could've gotten into the whole jealousy situation without him there, but seeing as he was the one who told the others to not ask her to hang with them I suppose it would be OOC for the others to not do that on their own. Then again, the dilemma could also have been explained with the others wanting to give her space or something, in which case Discord wouldn't be needed. Just kind of a dillema in my head based on that I guess. :umad:

hmm maybe, but I cant see it working as well without Discord.

Note I am not really saying this worked well with him but still.

Hmm, maybe i am just easily to be amused, when it comes to refs, because i spout references all the time. Comedy itself is one of the most subjective forms of art anyway.

It is. One thing that bothers me was Rarity's speech. That was actually a subtle unspoken lesson in season one, and was more effective. Though it was nice seeing Rarity be the one to say it for consistency. The commentary that 'experienced' based jokes cannot be shared outside if those who experienced was a little muddled.

I can't help the feeling that this was episode should have been a Levinger piece.

This episode was a pretty good episode. It was pretty cool seeing Discord hanging out with the mane 6 and their interactions were hilarious. The references were awesome and I was freaking out when I saw Pinkie doing a Back to the Future reference. Some of the gags Discord and the mane 6 did were kind of hit and miss, but it was overall pretty funny. It was nice seeing Zecora again and its nice to know what the cauldron in the middle of her hut is for. I can relate to Twilight in this episode about being left out on things and being jealous about it as well. I do wonder though was Discord trying to help teach Twilight a lesson or he was trying to get a good laugh out of something he thought was a joke. It was an interesting reversal when Discord didn't know what was going on at the end, like Twilight did throughout the episode. All in all it was a nice episode and I look forward to what's to come in the rest of season 5.  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

One other thing: Since they had Zecora finally come back, why couldn't Twilight just use that time travel observation potion she made during Princess Twilight Sparkle?  I mean it would allow her to see what happened without messing up the Time line  (because she's not actually there) as well as prevents her from being a variable in the recreation of the events

That would have made a better episode.