S05:E22 - What About Discord?  

200 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I enjoyed it
    • I loved it ... happy little trees <3

This is an episode which for some reason stands out to me. Maybe...it is just because of discord. It was really funny. However, I did not exactly understand what they were trying to tell.

It's actually pretty cool that Twilight instinctually did that when she thought that she and Spike were in danger.

We will probably see this a lot more as the show in future episodes.

I disliked the fact that the rest of the Mane 6 were so inconsiderate to Twilight's feelings in this episode. They somewhat made up for it in the end, but it was not explicitly addressed well.

I agree with you. More than that, I expected Discord to be more considerate (but he was not). Discord and Twilight were suppose to be friends!

• Brohoof 3

So I would like to start by saying, I have been a Pega-sister since 89.

In all these years (yes even gen 3) I have never seen a single piece of content I did not like.

Until now...

I don't dislike this episode, I LOATH it. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate it.

This episode was litteraly an event out of my own life and what it turned Twilight into, just...hurt me.

Is this a bad episode? Heck no! The animation was amazing, the VA did wonderful jobs and the lesson, well...it's good.

BUT!

:sigh and kicks at the floor: I know a lot of bronies like Discord, some love him. But after what he did to Twiley, I never, ever, EVER want to see him again.

Personal opinion, of course. Not attacking any bodies fanboy toy, just..wow.

• Brohoof 3

In the end, there is an unanswered question; just what actually was the potion? I was waiting to see the effects when Pinkie drank it, but the lack of effects, as well as Zecora saying that the brew in her cauldron was just a prop, seem to suggest that Zecora was probably giving Twilight a drink no more effective than a typical fruit juice, merely calling it a potion just to affect Twilight's psychology.

That was a top-quality post, right there. :)

Also, I was wondering about Zecora's potion, too. She is fairly skilled in magic, so it very well could have been a magical antidote, but she is also very wise, and was probably able to see through Twilight's suspicions and recognize the truth of the matter...but she's also kind enough not to tell Twilight she was wrong, and let her figure things out on her own...hmmm...

Frankly, though, i'm just glad we got to see Zecora again. We need an episode that focuses on HER friendships with the mane six. Right?

• Brohoof 1

I thought it was a great episode even if it was run of the mill. Not every episode can or needs to be mind blowing. I actually like only having one or two epic episodes per season. Generally there needs to be something big happen in the middle somewhere, but otherwise I'm fine with only a season finale being the big epic. Otherwise jumping the shark becomes a real threat. Expectations get too high and inevitably viewers are disappointed more often than they should be. Season five tried too hard if you ask me. I've enjoyed the basic episodes like this one much more than the epic ones. I don't have anything against larger story arch episodes unless they feel really manufactured instead of naturally occuring.

The thing with season five is that the show hit two milestones that would have felt weird if the episodes weren't special.

The show had it one hundredth episode with "Slice of Life" so, it was celebrated with an "epic" (in a different way) episode. Then, on the fifth anniversary, they gave us "Crusaders of the Lost Mark", which was epic, in that the CMC finally got their cutie marks.

"Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep" was the mid-season "something big" (Princess Luna MAJOR character development) you mentioned.

Cadence announcing her pregnancy wasn't really that big of a deal. While season five has, in my opinion, had more above average episodes than average ones, I don't think that "they are trying too hard". In fact, I think they are trying just about the ideal amount.

As Many of the reviews basically say is that the concept as a nice idea, however the excution was terrible. And i'm in the ballpark of Discord using a spell on them. Hell if he can alter thier peronalites in Return of harmoney i'm sure a simple memory spell would slip by them.  I don't buy the "oh i did it to teach you as lesson' bit at all. Granted it IS a good lesson however the way it was played out was very forced. I mean discord contantly there and the mane 5 laughing at it ever time? 

I know the unfunny humor was ment to 'put us in tilight hooves' but the excution of said idea still backfired on me. I don't trust discord and having  the mane 6 like him i'm not sure. Fluttershy maybe.. the other ehh tolerate I say.

• Brohoof 1

I liked this episode...Loved the Back To The Future and Bob Ross references...:squee:

Big turn around for Flutters from last episode (halloween episode)...She actually stood up (yet again) for Discord. I love it when they write her with more assertiveness and just over all not being a doormat.

Also, what else will Fluttershy be turned into? I thought I had seen it all...Flutterhulk, Flutterbee, Flutterbat, Flutter Breezie, Flutterguy,....until this episode...an orange...like...seriously? Lol.. I thought it was funny.

I always love a Discord episode, because you never know what's gonna happen...and I think Discord and Twi learned a valuable lesson in Friendship.

Frankly, though, i'm just glad we got to see Zecora again. We need an episode that focuses on HER friendships with the mane six. Right?

To be completely honest, I like Zecora the way she is. I don't think they need an episode to focus on her, but it would help to give her more roles like this. Zecora was intended to be this sort of mentor figure to the Mane 6 (by Lauren Faust, no less); mysterious in her methods but very effective. In a way, she's similar to Discord in a sense that she has everything planned out and is more in control than she lets on.

Zecora isn't really meant to be a focus character, but she does make a great supporting character, and this episode really showed her in her element. It's good to keep this air of mystery surrounding her so that trusting Zecora becomes more of a test of faith for the Mane 6 than an absolute given. That's a part of her charm.

• Brohoof 2

This episode was pretty...just okay. Parts of it were funny (especially where the re-created the memory and how Rarity specifically remembered the table cloth "not matching the font" on the menu - just, what?), but the middle dragged on quite a bit and not a ton seemed to happen. That said, I love the Inside Out-esque moral. It's always great to let kids know their emotions (even the "negative" ones!) are okay and acceptable!  

One thing I would've liked though: couldn't Spike have hung out with everyone all weekend, while Twilight was re-arranging books? I think that would have been kind of nice/cool.

Ah humor, making me try to hold in laughter so my family doesn't give me weird looks. This episode was great, full of stupid humor. Bob Rosscord and Pinkie Mcfly (or maybe Marty McPie) were my favorite. Especially since I just recently watched Back to the Future, and also have the BTTF Lego Dimensions DLC thing. Anyway, great episode, nice to see Discord again. Also, Zecora.

One thing I would've liked though: couldn't Spike have hung out with everyone all weekend, while Twilight was re-arranging books? I think that would have been kind of nice/cool.

I was wondering about that as well. Twilight says she didn't force him stay with her, so I guess he's so dedicated to being her assistant he didn't feel it was right to leave her, except for the claw massage (and in fact she probably gave it to him herself since he states they never left the castle).

• Brohoof 2

I was wondering about that as well. Twilight says she didn't force him stay with her, so I guess he's so dedicated to being her assistant he didn't feel it was right to leave her, except for the claw massage (and in fact she probably gave it to him herself since he states they never left the castle).

she probably gave it to him herself

d558a4a0f2c25e603efdbd9d3f4c73c9.png

Twenty written characters.

Gotta love a Discord episode! Everyone seems to be talking about the Back to the Future and Bob Ross references, are you all in familiar with the movie that the title is a reference to? What about Bob was a brilliantly funny Bill Murray movie. Discord's outfit towards the end was from that movie, even the jar around his neck.

I was just going to post this. I love the fact that The Smooze was in the jar. Very nice touch.
  • Brohoof 1

Well I do like the Mane Six and Discord are being more friendly between each other and Zecora making a return, but in all honestly, Discord manipulating Twi's friends without mind-controlling them is needlessly cruel, made all the more jarring after his reformation. But, to be fair, this is the most harmless scheme he's ever pulled, and the Mane Six got to troll him in return at the very end. Plus, Flutterorange is adorable.

In all honestly, I kinda hope there will be another episode dealing with Discord trying to gain more acceptance among the other ponies. The Bob Ross reference is admittedly epic.

I kept thinking this episode was building up to something especially since it was episode with Discord but I was left disappointed. I see that interaction between Discord and Mane6 minus Twilight seemed to go to far with "we had best time in our lives and you missed it and will never experience it". I'm aware that was purpose of episode, but I think it was executed poorly; in a discussion, someone mentioned that Twilight's friends appeared too stupid or ignorant about how their constant reference to that event would make Twilight feel excluded.

Twilight_starting_to_get_teary-eyed_S5E2

Discord has bothered Twilight before which, intentionally or unintentionally, resulted in learning a new  lesson. But for something like that, I think Three's a Crowd is better than this episode because at least no one went beyond annoyance. In general for me, big fault of this episode was that it felt too mean-spirited towards Twilight who really didn't deserve to be driven to tears like this.

Writer of this episode also wrote Princess Spike so I suppose that would explain disappointing quality of episode.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

Are you kidding me? This episode shows that his relationship with the mane six is BETTER THAN IT EVER WAS.

The trio of "let's blast him back to stone!", Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash, are BONDING WITH HIM AND LAUGHING WITH HIM.

And the fact that they did bond with him is perhaps more interesting than their collective inability to recount their Noodle Incident of a weekend, much to Twilight's evident frustration.

A potentially intriguing episode could've been borne from Rainbow, Rarity, and AJ having to spend time with Discord while assuming the worst of him, only for their fears and expectations to be upended. They would have learned the lesson that although people can't always change completely or instantly, sometimes you have to open yourself up to the possibility; and when you do, good things can happen.

But an episode emphasizing Twilight's neurotic behavior feels misplaced when she's intentionally forced out of the loop. Her friends ignore her obvious discomfort, and Discord relishes in it. I can expect that sort of behavior from Rainbow or Pinkie, both of whom can be oblivious to the wants and wills of others -- but AJ, Fluttershy, and Rarity? The three of them are more socially sensitive.

There is a fine line between having in-jokes and alienating others through in-jokes. The latter applies to the events of the episode. Moreover, given how much everypony (save for Fluttershy) distrusted Discord in the past, it's no wonder Twilight might assume the worst. I in fact thought Discord might have used magic to manipulate her friends because of the rapid turnaround in their attitudes. Ultimately he did manipulate everyone, albeit without the assistance of any spells.

The bottom line is, how am I supposed to interpret the lesson(s) when Twilight's responses are sympathetic? Discord only suffered admonishment at the very end when he revealed he withheld information from the rest of the Mane Six. He still came off like a Karma Houdini. The final turnabout involving Discord missing out on an in-joke felt forced due in no small part to the lame puns intended to get under his skin. Besides, the few minutes in which he felt out of the loop pale in comparison to Twilight's day-long trial that could've been avoided with some basic social awareness on the part of her friends.

In the end, the episode only grasped the very basic dimensions of the characters involved. Outside of a few well-placed gags, the scenes dragged (Did we really need an entire scene dedicated to Twilight behaving like a strawman scientist in attempting to recreate her friends' experiences?) and the lesson flopped.

• Brohoof 6

Quote from Jayson Thiessen:

"What I like is that he started out as a villain and now he's not a villain, but he never really changed. It's really just whether or not he's trying to hurt the ponies or take over their world. He's still the chaos character that we were introduced to; it's just that now he's not doing it for evil purposes. He's essentially the genie from Aladdin in a way, or Loki--really, any sort of trickster. He can be either negative or positive, but it doesn't change his trickster nature."

I feel the same, which is probably why I could easily gloss over his enjoyment in Twilight's plight.

• Brohoof 2

I for once, have to vote the lowest here, that i ever voted.

Because i noticed a bunch of awful things.

The whole promise, of Twilight thinking that if she didnt get a Joke, something terrible might happen...is just...completely senseless.

Maybe it is, because i dont understand English that much, but...i dont even know, what she was trying to find out!

The whole Episode just reminded me on that Spongebob Episode, where Spongebob lost his identity...only Spongebob did it in a funny way and Twilights try, to find something out...i dont know what she was trying to find out, but it was just not entertaining.

The Jokes, were horrible. Rainbowdashs laugh sounded so forced and Fake, that i facepalmed myself  :wacko:

And then Discord, who didnt understood the last Joke at the end of the Episode, EVEN IF HE WAS THERE THE ENTIRE TIME!!!

Or was he? Oh yeah he wasnt there as Twilight tried to bring here friends to drink something...see? Thats how less i cared about the whole episode, i just watched it and cant even remember what happend at the end, because it was so uninteresting.

And can we talk for a moment about, how stupid Twilight is? How awfully Stupid, that one Character is, that is supposed to be the clever one?

So, she thinks here friends are under a Spell and wants them to drink something, to brake the spell.

How do you bring your friends, to drink a spell breaking drink, if they are under the spell? Just ask them to drink it, like it would be a normal drink?

No! Of course not, that would make to much sense.

She literally tells them her Plan! Like...what?

I get nothing from this Episodes....absolute nothing.

The Premise was stupid, the jokes horrible and unfunny, the terrible forced laughs from everybody, how awfully stupid Twilight is and the lesson at the very ending:

You can be Jealous of your friends. But Twilight wasnt even Jealous...she was worried that her Friends are under a Spell, because it was uncommon that the Main 5 liked Discord that much and since Discord was once the Villain, its completely understandable that Twilight is worried.

How was she Jealous?

Its just...ARRRGH!!!

I didnt liked this Episode...not one bit. I maybe have laughed one time, when Pinkie Pie was drinking the Potion...that one time i actually got something from this Episode, was when a character drinked something and made a funny face.

That was the only moment, i liked this Episode.

Thats why i vote not the lowest one. But as far as i can tell, this Episode, was the worst FIM related Episode, that i ever watched.

And the possibility that i get into the show again, just sank...very low.

EDIT : Wait, im not finished yet.

Can we also talk for a bit, about the moment, were the shawl ( i have no idea what the correct english translations is ) was in the wrong color and despite the fact, that we have 2 magical Unicorns,

one of them a freaking clothing Designer !! And none of them have a Magic Spell to change the color? And they wait for Discord to change it?

Isnt Clothing Raritys Job? And she doesnt even have a spell, to change a Color?

Edited by Dune_Rarity

You can be Jealous of your friends. But Twilight wasnt even Jealous...she was worried that her Friends are under a Spell, because it was uncommon that the Main 5 liked Discord that much and since Discord was once the Villain, its completely understandable that Twilight is worried.

How was she Jealous?

Its just...ARRRGH!!!

She WAS jealous.

She only jumped to thinking it was a spell near the final third of the episode, just before running off to get the potion.

At that point, her jealousy had stressed her to the point of making rash assumptions.

And can we talk for a moment about, how stupid Twilight is? How awfully Stupid, that one Character is, that is supposed to be the clever one?

So, she thinks here friends are under a Spell and wants them to drink something, to brake the spell.

How do you bring your friends, to drink a spell breaking drink, if they are under the spell? Just ask them to drink it, like it would be a normal drink?

No! Of course not, that would make to much sense.

She literally tells them her Plan! Like...what?

I believe Twilight's only practical option was to tell her friends she was giving them the potion. If she didn't and they found out she spiked the drink after the fact they would have a hard time ever trusting her again. Twilight truly thought she was helping them and spell or no spell she thought they would gladly accept something that would make them better.

I get nothing from this Episodes....absolute nothing.

The Premise was stupid, the jokes horrible and unfunny, the terrible forced laughs from everybody, how awfully stupid Twilight is and the lesson at the very ending:

I do relate to your pain. While I liked "What About Discord" well enough, the first Flim-Flam brothers episode is the only episode in the whole series that I hate because the Apples and Flim and Flam must act really stupid to make the plot work. It had a good song, though.

Can we also talk for a bit, about the moment, were the shawl ( i have no idea what the correct english translations is ) was in the wrong color and despite the fact, that we have 2 magical Unicorns, one of them a freaking clothing Designer !! And none of them have a Magic Spell to change the color? And they wait for Discord to change it?

Isnt Clothing Raritys Job? And she doesnt even have a spell, to change a Color?

You must mean the table cloth. Actually, the story here is correct. Rarity cannot alter reality this way, even something as minor as changing the color of a table cloth. That was the whole plot of "Inspiration Manifestation," where Rarity could suddenly alter reality to her whims and it caused lots of problems.

Twilight can transmute matter (she turned a bird into an orange briefly) and can teleport, but it's not clear she can change colors of objects so easily, either. In any case, she couldn't be the one to change the table cloth color because she didn't know what color red it was. So Discord was the only one who could do it.

• Brohoof 2