Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are Stars in MLP?

SteveMorison

Good question. This brings up the question are they uncontrollable? It seems the light of the sun and moon is what shows or hides the stars or I'm to believe that part of our world's logic still works here.

• 4 years later...
On 11/6/2015 at 10:28 PM, Dust and Memories said:

My personal headcanon is that stars in MLP are just like those in our world. Luna has some degree of control over all the stars that are naturally visible to ponies, but outside that sphere of influence, stars work the same as in our world. I expect this is more about a range thing with Luna's powers; even being an immortal alicorn with an immense amount of amicomagical strength, it's extremely hard to gather enough energy to warp space-time to your will, especially at intersolar distances. (Which, now that I think about it, are likely far shorter in MLP than in the real world.)

As for Celestia moving the sun, I would actually argue that her moving the sun is inefficient. If she moves the sun instead of the planet, it would also explain the whole concept of Winter Wrap-Up and various other sundries like the Running of the Leaves, as seasons won't progress normally if you're moving the sun around the planet instead of the planet around the sun. Then there's the whole issue of axis tilt, which Equus may not have.

@Dust and Memories

Not quite.

In IDW's "Cosmos" story arc, we see the Mane 6 look for scattered 'stars' which might help them recreate the lost constellation. The stars' which fell out of the sky look like decorative ornaments one would put atop a Christmas tree. Given how far those stars are, and how little they are, it makes no sense. Unless you assume that the stars were in fact giant suns when they were up in the sky, but when they 'fell' to Equestria (courtesy of Discord), they drastically changed their nature and size. I wouldn't put it past Discord's powers to nbe able to do just that.

We know there is some sort of "astral plane" above Equestria; Twilight went there when she transitioned to Alicorn, and when she did, a new twinkle-shaped star appeared in the sky and descended down to ponyville again.

On the other hand, during the discussion with Twi, Celestia *did* refer to their location as "here in Ponyville" so maybe their location wasn't so much on the Z axis as the W, and her rising up in the air prior to transformation was why her "new star" appeared in the sky not at ground level?

I’ve always believed that Equestria’s sky is nothing like ours.

My theory is that the sun and moon are about equal in size in Equestria, and that the stars are not distant suns, but tiny decorative lights. Possible practical use: the start help with navigation in the darkness, like the real world.

Until globes were shown in the show, I was convinced that the world of Equestria was modeled on the Ancient Greek flat earth model. With the sun and moon rotating the disc, and the top being the mortal plane, and Tartarus located below, hanging like a giant chunk of the regular earth’s crust.

• 1 year later...

Maybe it's like stars in our universe, maybe it's something completely different like passages to our universe or the hope and dreams of Ponies. Or maybe it's just nothing else like decoration which put on the night sky by Astral Ponies ;)

I think we do know far too little to be sure. 

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...