Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did you first watch MLP?

NullAccount

I went through a phase of watching animated older animated films such as Lion King, Lady and the Tramp etc, so I was already predisposed to look favourably on the animation style. The ponies caught my attention when I saw the changelings - they reminded me of face-dancers from Frank Herbert's Dune series, and that was not something I expected from a 'show for little girls.' So I watched Canterlot Wedding, and I enjoyed it, so i moved on to the first season.

Hello FlutterFly, because show has unbelievable magic that it draws you like a magnet itself. I happened sudden. I watched the first episode then i saw that i was hooked to the show =) '''

Edited by Kenshiro
  • Brohoof 1

I was curious to see what the big deal was and why "bronies" was even a thing.

Same here. Aside from a few forum avatars, I had managed (inadvertently) to miss out on the whole thing. A webcomic I read (Gunnerkrig Court) had a bonus page of two characters talking and mentioning bronies.

A quick search indicated the size of the following, and, if it was as big as claimed, then there must be something to it.

Like many others, I watched the first episode and went, 'Eh, that's OK, good animation, not sure about some of the characters, but at least they're distinct. Can they follow it up in the regular episodes?'

Four and a half hours and 19 episodes later, I kinda had to admit I liked it.

Didn't consider myself a brony, and in some ways I don't now (despite flying 3000 miles and spending well over £2000 to go to Bronycon) but that kinda depends on your definition of what a brony is..

Edited by DJW
  • Brohoof 1

My little sister forced me to watch the pilot... and the rest of season 1. Each episode she made me watch made me like the show a bit more and more until I eventually fell in love with it and started watching episodes on my own.

A PMV called "You're gonna go far kid" Sparked an initial interest and i had been listening to "Rainbow factory" (By Wooden toaster) and "20% Cooler" (By bronydanceparty) but it wasn't until years later that i found out that those Were songs made by bronies about MLP.

These sorts of videos may have come before "You're gonna go far kid" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er670ig8xxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEnWvHrfgYE

• Brohoof 1

It happened back in 2014, weeks before my family and I moved into our new house... My younger brother was hanging out with his then girlfriend, watching something on TV, I think my older brother was still working at Macca's, and I was bored, quite bored, using my mothers old netbook computer, as the laptop I had then was basically useless (until recently, my dad managed to get it fixed, and uses it for his work), and decided to look up the first episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It took me some time to find a good website to watch it from, that also wouldn't cause my mum's computer to crash. But I digress. I watched like 5 episodes, and basically loved what I saw, Twilight Sparkle becoming my favourite pony and all. Later on, I decided to catch up to everyone (I managed to finish catching up on the third week of moving into the new house, although it wasn't until later that I decided to watch the Equestria Girls movies, as I didn't believe that they were very important to the show, and I was a bit afraid to watch EqG, I'll admit. I also originally thought they were some fan made film that just got mistaken for being from Hasbro), I started visiting Equestria Daily, felt the need to ponify my electronics as much as possible, signed up to these forums, and basically decided I was a Brony. 

• Brohoof 1

I remember it well. It was the summer of 2014. I heard Fluttershy's Lament by All Levels at once one day. I'll be honest, I didn't like it at first but I had an urge to listen to it again. I came to love the song and I decided "Why not try out the show?". I watched  "Put Your Hoof Down" and loved the show. I accepted the fact that I was a brony and joined the fandom. I eventually fell in love with fluttershy and here I am now. 

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I first thought MlP was something like girls riding Ponies on a farm because from the title "My little Pony" I guessd it was about the ponies of some people. :squee:

But I started to watch the first episode and noticed, that it's not quiet that what I thought it is, but I stopped at the half, because it wasn't really my thing.

However, I started it again after watching "Braking Bad", because I needed something happy to watch, so I watched it during my summer job in the train and at the work.

There is nothing better than happy cute ponies on an awful monday. :kindness:

In the spring of 2014, my brother and sister started watching the show. Since they were always doing it in a room that I'm often hanging around in, I got a lot of exposure to it. After this was going on for a few days, I finally couldn't resist and it quickly came my favourite tv show, if not instantly. It took me several months to overcome my embarrassment about it though. Even now, I only have a few friends that know I like the show.

To me at first I simply didn't care for the show and lacked interest in it. I also thought it was only meant to entertain a younger audience  and that I probably wouldn't enjoy it. I heard some guys I knew watched it, so I became curious. Due to me being lazy, (as well as obsessed over Roblox) I didn't get into it till Season 3 I think. I think one day I was either skipping channels or saw someone left it on that channel that played the series. I thought to myself that I'd give it a try and that it'd be ironic. I was so wrong. After one episode (I forget which one), I came to like it for the plot and characters. I thought it was nice to see a show teaching good life lessons and morals and that it'd be nice to watch. 

Well when I was younger I watched G3. I had some books and pony figures. (I think I still have my Sparkleworks figure somewhere lol.) I was young so I can't remember why or when I watched it lol.

I watched friendship is magic sometime during season 1. I was curious about how much things had changed from when I watched MLP as a kid.

I was bored out of my mind after a long day and began browsing through netflix, until I came across mlp fim. Remembering G3 days I rolled my eyes and I pressed play to see just how bad it was. Well, sufficient to say I was hooked after the first two episodes and marathon through the 1st and 2nd season during the weekend. This happened three years ago.

It was 2012 and it was the height of the brony fandom. I couldn't escape it, constant arguments about it, couldn't avoid videos based on it, various channels I watched were into it. I felt as if I had to watch it at some point. I remember I said to myself "I doubt it'll be bad but I doubt I'll like it". I watched and I gradually grew to like it. 

• Brohoof 2

Back in Spring of 2011, I had started hearing of the show. I wasn't convinced to really give it a try until I saw topics on a cartoon forum and they were mentioning Faust's vision of making it a show for girls to show them that there is no wrong to be a girl.

Then I watched it... About May? I remember telling myself I should not start until after finals were done, but I said "Screw it!" and watched it then... Aced my finals, too. =P

• Brohoof 3

I watched MLP for the first time this year by accident. I was on YouTube watching clips of Q from Star Trek, and saw a related video that was titled, "John de Lancie as Discord". All I saw was a thumbnail of Discord I had no idea that it was MLP. That is how I started watching the show... DAM YOU DE LANCIE YOU MADE ME A BRONY!!!

Here's the video that sent me down the pastille pony spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw1OBzWGorI

Edited by Sporemane
  • Brohoof 1

well I'm real new to this, it started about two weeks ago when i watched an animation called "lullaby for a princess". it was so good i even watched some reaction videos on it and everyone only seemed interested in the animation itself (which is fantastic mind) but what got me was the music and how it told it's story that made me feel genuinely sorry for both Celestia and Luna.

you see i'm usually not effected by well anything. I'm in my early 20's and i cant remember a time in my life where I felt Troubled or sorry about anything being a very upbeat person and i don't seem to worry about anything either. so it was quite an interesting moment for me.

It was a few years ago when my only friends who abandoned me quite often were into MLP so much and that is all they talked about and played so I decided to watch an episode to see what the fuss was about and it was secret of my excess but I only watched a few minutes of it when I realised i was liking it. I didn't watch it up until about under two months ago then I was off school ill when I was bored so I watched it again (like read it and weep). I fell in love with it again so then I watched every episode on Netflix (season1-4) including equestria girls and rainbow rocks as well as bronies the extremely unexpected adult fans of MLP. Here I am today.

• Brohoof 2

I had heard about bronies for awhile but had never given them much thought. Then one day I stumbled across this YouTube video last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Est3UNs-LIk

That sparked my initial interest in finding out what this brony phenomenon was all about. I watched SaberSpark's documentary on YouTube, which led to watching the other two brony documentary movies on Netflix. After all that I settled in and started watching the show itself on Netflix. Hot Damn! Them bronies were on to something!   

• Brohoof 1

I saw a parody/music video from the powder puff girls/mlp fan made movie(link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBNnD7SDl8Q ) and then I watched the whole movie, and then I decided to watch the first episode, and then the next, and then... well, you get it. Watched all the way to the end of season 4 and caught up, then waited with the rest of you for season 5 while having created a separate google account and started listening to fan made music and the like on youtube.

Edited by SomeMLP Brony

Because I had no will to leave the couch and my cousins were watching MLP. My eyes tend to focus on things that are moving, so I didn't really have much of a choice. Until then I was one of those f***s who think MLP is a girly show because I never watched it before. I then became overly obsessed with MLP. Then I started to tell people and I regret that because now people will think of me as a little girl on the inside. Hopefully people completely forget about it and my new strategy to hide myself watching MLP will make them stop stop seeing me like that.