Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A New Love Interest for Spike

Odd Ball

I'll been thinking about how Spike should soon get over his feelings for Rarity and find someone his age. Whether it's a new character, or one we seen before, like Zippoorwhill (The small pegasus with the puppy in Filli Vanilli). I think it could grow Spike's character.

What do you think? Should Spike get a new love interest, or do you think Spike/Rarity are best couple?

• Brohoof 3

I don't think it would be a good idea for Spike to get a new love interest.

I would rather the show finally have him confess his feelings to Rarity and end the "relationship".

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 4

Spike's position with Rarity reminds me of Dipper's position with Wendy from the show "Gravity Falls" 

I'm not supporting the ship, but I'm also not against it either. I'm not sure what direction the writers will take them but regardless I am screaming for CLOSURE!! 

Dipper and Wendy got it and things turned out fine despite them ending as friends.....I want the same for Spike and Rarity. Just....closure please....closure is all I want. How they end up is none of my concern.

• Brohoof 5

I think Spike's infatuation with Rarity adds a little much-needed depth to his character.  But it's been nearly 5 seasons now and nothing has come of it so perhaps it's time to move on.

I've mentioned in a couple of other threads that the writers should introduce either a female dragon or a filly who was raised by a dragon into the show.  This would not only help to break Spike away from Twilight and Rarity but also provide an opportunity to further develop his character and even give him something positive to do in the show.

• Brohoof 2

Wasn't there a bootleg female looking Spike with a unique name?

Update: Yeah! Dim Sum the dragon!

Her name is actually Krystal, an OC created by AGirl3003 on Deviantart.  The image was stolen by a Chinese restaurant and then later appeared in a Tweet by M.A. Larson before finally coming to the attention of the original artist. Quite a trip for this little dragon.

But yeah, a character like this would make a perfect friend for Spike to hang around with in the show.  We've only seen a handful of younger dragons in a single episode and they all turned out to be jerks.  Surely there's a nice dragon girl out there for Spike somewhere.

Her name is actually Krystal, an OC created by AGirl3003 on Deviantart.  The image was stolen by a Chinese restaurant and then later appeared in a Tweet by M.A. Larson before finally coming to the attention of the original artist. Quite a trip for this little dragon.

Holy CRAP... That artist is my old high school friend!!

LOL!! I never heard about that trip little Krystal made.

Just hearing about it here makes me laugh. I'll have to tell my friend she's Horse Famous. XD

• Brohoof 1

What? There's still a love thing going on between Rarity and Spike?

Not to stamp on an Sparity shippers out there; but I honestly believe that a ship will set sail completely indepedent of whatever occurs in canon.  Honestly, so long as there are people supporting, it will be going on its own, independently of whatever happens.  And that hasn't stopped ships before.  Also there's tons of crack shipping as well, so its not like canon ever stopped anything before. 

But I honestly felt that the love thing between Spike and Rarity ended ages ago and at some point in prior episodes, oh gah, I now recall I made some sort of comment thinking that Spike was starting to mature and realize his love relationship between him and Rarity was not going to go anywhere and he was getting to accepting that.  I can't remember what episode I thought that was.  Maybe inspiration manifestation? Somewhere back there or somewhere, I thought Spike was just getting over it. It didn't seem like he needed closure and just sort of got over it with his own conclusions of how he was viewing his relationship and the direction it was going.

Nothing that seemed like it really needed closure and kind of just ended on its own.  I bet it was an episode that wasn't actually focused on Spike that I was thinking about.

But like, I can't really say I got a sense of Spike Rarity love thing at all in S5 here.  It feels like that ended ages ago. I don't hate Spike + Rarity love, I just don't get a sense that its going on anymore in the show.  But they just need to write him better at this point, hopefullly still possible.

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1

I have lived thousands of years and have seen much in my lifetime.

-Ancient Spike

I don't think spike should be in any lovey dovey relationship at the moment.

I believe he's still a kid in dragon years. maybe even younger. much too young to have a serious relationship with anypony.

But I would LOVE to see a pony like Zippoorwhill crushing on him

and spike being uninterested.

Even if it's just for one episode. 

It would be so Pinkin' cute.

Edited by Vulcan

Spike's crush on Rares is a main factor of his, but I've noticed it's almost not touched upon lately  :huh: . I'm not against it, but I see no going beyond a simple one sided crush. I think it's fine for him to move on, but maybe it should wait a little longer, closer to the show's closure in fact

oh, no no no no no. Here's what I think should happen... Spike should tell Rarity about his feelings for her, but she should turn him down politely and they should agree to be friends. in my opinion Spike doesn't need another love interest.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe if this show ever does a time skip Spike will be a different character.  Matured to the point where he isn't wasting his potential, which Spike honestly is now.

I actually prefer the spike/sweetie belle friendship maybe someday into more.

With Twilight Time going on, Spike does have a lot more exposure to Sweetie Belle than the other ponies. 

Edited by silvadel

sig-4204386.tall.png

That made me lol

I personally would like to see Spike get a lil dragon friend, I've made topics about that in the past. It doesn't even necessarily have to be a love interest, just someone that spike can interact with in a way he can't with other ponies. 

Sparity is simply not going to happen, Like I've said in other topics, Spike having a crush is one thing, but Rarity reciprocating would be Chris Hansen levels of nope territory.

I think Rarity and Spike need to happen but you never know, just like Rarity falling for others, Spike can do so too. Possibly another pony, griffin or maybe another dragon. I feel a Spike finds loves episode will be approaching us one day, so far with Season 5 we've had quite a few curve balls. If the writers for the show are reading this then I am all for Spike finding love and moving out from being Twilight's Slave.

Edited by Lunar Echo

But like, I can't really say I got a sense of Spike Rarity love thing at all in S5 here.  It feels like that ended ages ago. I don't hate Spike + Rarity love, I just don't get a sense that its going on anymore in the show.  But they just need to write him better at this point, hopefullly still possible.

He has been getting over it, but not completely because someone over at DHX is still keeping the Sparity pilot light lit. But that pretty much ALL it is at this point - a pilot light!  :lol:

Some S5 examples:

"Castle Sweet Castle" - Spike has a Rarity plush? Umm...  :confused:

Later she bats her eyes :please:  at him to get him to give them more time to fix the castle. He floats away on his own manifested puffy pink hearts exclaiming, "Anything for you, Rarity."

"Do Ponies Dream of Magic Sheep" - Spike rushes over to Rarity's bed first when the Mane 6 wake up from the initial encounter with the Tantibus.

"Scaremasters" - Rarity hugs Spike tight when she gets scared. Probably the only instance of Sparity that isn't so one-sided...

"What About Discord" - He tries to impress her with his knowledge of fashion designers, and messes up royally by getting the gender wrong.

Not long after that, he gets jealous at Discord when he refers to Rarity as "Dearest". (Which is ironic considering the lesson of the episode.)

As for the original question, I wouldn't be too thrilled if they created a character just for Spike to fall in love with. It's way too close to Flash Sentry territory for me. If Spike has to fall for someone else besides Rarity then it should be an established character with some development.

The problem is there aren't any established adolescent characters for him. The adults are already ruled out (otherwise we'd simply have Sparity  :proud: ) and the school fillies are too young for him (see how he interacts with the CMC in "Just For Sidekicks" for an example of why it isn't practical) because he's too sophisticated from his life with Twilight to be getting all kissy-kissy with a bunch of fillies.

The only adolescents around that I'm aware of are Snips and Snails...

And I'll never ship Spike with either of them because it wouldn't make any sense, for many reasons!  :sunny:

So yeah... A bit of a problem, at least for me, for them to find a satisfactory substitute. Which is why the whole ship was abandoned for the most part.  :)

If they introduced a character in the finale and developed her throughout S6 alongside Spike, that would be acceptable. But seriously, with only one Spike episode this season, the chances of having a bunch of Spike episodes with some new character interacting with him are pretty slim.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 1