Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or learn other than English?

konakona

What languages do you know or learn except English and why are you learning them?

I know French and I'm learning Russian and German. I'm learning Russian because a lot of people speak it and I also like the culture, food, language, music, etc. of Russia. As for German I just like the language and it's also a popular language. I also like learning new languages it's very interesting and fun to me.

• Brohoof 2

I took classes for French for 4 years but I never used it since I've stopped taking the class 2 years ago so I'm not sure if I know how to speak it well anymore ^_^ 

• Brohoof 2

I'm learning spanish. its a shame really because my school requires "foreign language" credits while offering nothing other than spanish :okiedokielokie:  we used to have french and german

• Brohoof 2

I studied Spanish in high school, though I forgot most of it. I also studied Latin in college.

• Brohoof 2

Uhm, I know a little Deutsche (German) due to doing a little independent studying one summer because it's a cool language. And I have nearly 2 years of ASL (American Sign Language) experience under my belt, because of a language course in my school!

...also, does knowing some latin words via the harry potter books count?

• Brohoof 1

Oh boy, let's see if I can count them all.

Learned

• English (American) (Native) 

Learning

• Spanish
  • German

Formerly Learned/Currently not studying

• Classical Latin
  • Danish
  • Swedish
  • Norwegian
  • Icelandic

I like words :P

• Brohoof 4

I'm American so naturally I know English.

But besides my native language, I know Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and a tad of German.

I know Swedish and Danish because I used to live there.

And Norwegian wasn't too hard to pick up on as it's more or less just a mixture of the two.

As for German, I took some German classes.

I'm currently learning Japanese. Why? Because I'm a weeaboo... Don't judge me.

Edited by Kagami-sama
  • Brohoof 2

I was brought up on English (my most fluent language), Esperanto and Czech. In Esperanto, I can carry a decently comlex coversation, although with a bit of a struggle, and can translate most text accuratly (though my knowledge of the written language is rather spotted). I can understand simple conversation in Bohemian Czech, but my ability to actually use it myself is stunted.

I am Canadian, so French is taught from grade 5 to 9, with the option to take it further. I like it, so I study it on my own, as well. I'm also currently taking a crack at German, and have a DVD latin course that I'm waiting to have time to do.

• Brohoof 1

I know a bit of French, took it in high school but I still want to learn more. I know a smidgen of Spanish my mother in law refuses to speak English. Bleh.

I am learning more French and I am learning American Sign Language.

• Brohoof 1

I am fluent in English and I know a bit of Spanish. I am keen to learn new languages however, namely German and French.

• Brohoof 1

Native English speaker. I learned Italian in school, but I honestly know more Spanish than Italian, due to living in Arizona. I would love to become fluent in Spanish, but I'm too busy to start practicing as of today. "Mañana..." :P ¡Jajajaja!

• Brohoof 1

Russian, English, Spanish, German

Russian native

English learned

Spanish to be more competitive

German because of my future travel plans and my Uni requires it

What languages do you know or learn except English and why are you learning them?

I know French and I'm learning Russian and German. I'm learning Russian because a lot of people speak it and I also like the culture, food, language, music, etc. of Russia. As for German I just like the language and it's also a popular language. I also like learning new languages it's very interesting and fun to me.

Russian best choice there. Lot more Russian content around than German on the nets. (#2 in content behind only English even though #9 in Users)

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1