Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the first thing you'd do if you won the lottery

Hocus Pocus

I would immediately move out and move into a nice apartment in a city I like, having my boyfriend live with me and possibly for an apartment next door for a really good friend of mine. Those things on its own would make my life so much better. I am a pretty simple guy, so there is nothing wild I would do with the money, I would just do that, buy things I like which would be nothing in comparison to that amount and then save it. :) I would take my boyfriend to a really nice restaurant that same night though for sure. ^____^

• Brohoof 2

I would buy a island and start my own country

Make it a big island, and call it some sort of horse pun. Then let us Bronies and Pegasisters live there too. That would be epic on the level of Starswirls' magnificent beard.

• Brohoof 2

Hahaha... Well you know, Illinois is currently the worst state as far as funding and budgets go.  

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/31/illinois-lottery-winners-receive-iou-amid-lack-of-budget.html

I'd get and IOU from my state.  

---

But lets say that wasn't the case for the sake of answering the OP.

I'd probably donate a good amount to some charities first.  Then, I'd divvy up the money between myself and my parents.  I'd put alot of mine into some sort of savings.  With what I don't put in savings, I'd buy myself a new vehicle - I'd still keep my truck, of course, because I love my truck.  But I'd like a new car.  Maybe a Subaru or a Volvo (because they have some of the highest safety ratings).  Then, because I'm such a gearhead, I'd probably look for an awesome classic car to drive on the weekends.  I really like classic muscle cars, but I think I'd want something that looks more like a "sleeper" and then drop in a different motor.  Maybe like a Ford Capri that looks bone stock, with just a base looking paint job and wheels.  Then, drop in a 302 H.O. or something of the like.  That'd be awesome.

Okay, you get it, I like cars.  What else?

I'd help friends out, too.  But I'd still want to finish college anyway so moving right away isn't really what I'd want to do.  

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

I would celebrate, put the money in the bank, actually invest and or pay off things like house payments and car payments and whatever I need in life, life savings account, and then I would buy whatever I want.

Put half of it in the bank and live off the interest.

If the bank has 20% interest, I'll be making 5 million a year just for letting half of my money sit in the bank and do nothing.

I'd use the rest on a fancy house and a Lamborghini Aventador, BMW i8, a Chevy pickup, and a Bugatti( just for bragging rights ).

If I have any money left over, I guess I'd use it on beer... 'cause why not.

--

Or maybe I'd just buy the Mona Lisa so I can paint a mustache on her.

I'd put it away somewhere it'll gain interest over time, and then eventually pull it out when I have over a Billion dollars, and then retire at a young age and live in a mansion and stuff.

Oh, and I'd donate like 500 million to charities and college and stuff.

First of all, I'm the worst when it comes to economical choices. I'd probably get some counseling and invest the bigger part of my money so i could both gain more and not spend it all at once while i double down on the excitement.

I don't know, but certainly I would consider a good way to invest that money, especially to try to avoid having to spend a lifetime to work all day and every day. In a nutshell: find a way to live but working as little as possible.

I would forfeit it because winning the lottery is very dangerous. If your name got out (and it probably will due to publicity reasons), then you could quickly become subject to a series of burglaries, kidnappings, and murder threats.

No amount of money can make up for that.

For the sake of simplicity. I'm going to assume that the $50 Million is after taxes.

$30 Million worth of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. That also includes hiring someone to manage it for me. If I play it right, I could live off of the dividends.

$5 Million to charity ($2 million to the Salvation Army, $2 million to the Red Cross, and $1 million split between various other charities).

$5 Million to church groups and christian missionaries ($1 Million to Bible Study Fellowship, $1 Million to IDT, $1 million to local churches, and $2 Million to whatever God put on my heart).

$2 Million to my parents, and a portion of my investment dividends once those start to roll in.

$1 Million to each of my siblings ($3 million total).

$2 Million to build my dream house from the ground up.

$1 Million for a shopping spree

$1 Million to various Kickstarter, GoFundMe, and Patreon projects.

$1 Million to spend on whatever else I want.

Edited by Storm Lantern
  • Brohoof 1

Well, 10% to faith-based charities first off.  Secondly, I'd hire a tax consultant right away...

After that...shoot; I'd want to invest it in ways that overall make sure more money comes in than goes out.  Probably in stocks that pay dividends.  I know I'd want to buy my own house with a swimming pool and a great view of the western sky...

One thing I'd like to do is find a city that owns its own power-grid, and offer to pay out of my own pocket if they agree to upgrade their power grid so it's more resistant to geomagnetically-induced currents that result from solar storms, and I'd make a big deal out of it and try to get big news corporations' attention about it, because that's a super-disaster waiting to happen!  (And actually not that expensive to protect against, either...)

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-smarter-grid/a-perfect-storm-of-planetary-proportions