Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The most overrated MLP related things in the fandom?

cider float

Nothing will ever top My Little Dashie for me in terms of "how the hell did this get popular?" A terrible self insert that somehow got made into a 30 minute film about a very unrelatable shmuck who does nothing with his life but keeps a small pony in his house secretly and makes her call him daddy. It's self insert to the levels of cringe and riddled with a plot filled with holes and completely the work of the author filling out a personal fantasy, but yet it receives insane praise, is considered legendary by some and people legitimately think it is high enough quality to make into an actual book.

FIM is factually a great cartoon with well-written characters

Factually great is an oxymoron. Great is subjective, factually is not. You really need to stop using "factual" and "objective" to back up your opinions because they do not make them anymore correct.

Nothing will ever top My Little Dashie for me in terms of "how the hell did this get popular?" A terrible self insert that somehow got made into a 30 minute film about a very unrelatable shmuck who does nothing with his life but keeps a small pony in his house secretly and makes her call him daddy. It's self insert to the levels of cringe and riddled with a plot filled with holes and completely the work of the author filling out a personal fantasy, but yet it receives insane praise, is considered legendary by some and people legitimately think it is high enough quality to make into an actual book.
Don't even get me started on that self insert. Not only is it that, the character is also really bland. The only thing I know about him after reading it is that he's lonely and miserable and then Dash makes him happy. Pretty one note character if I say so. 
  • Brohoof 1

CUPCAKES THE FANFIC, everyone says that is so disturbing and horrific that it made people stop eating cupcakes, well I've read it, and I say to all you who have read it and think its the most horific thing in the world, that your all BLOODY LIGHTWEIGHTS WHO GET SCARED AT THE VERY MENTION OF BLOOD AND GORE, now don't get me wrong, it's a very well written book and I enjoyed reading it, but it's realy not that scary or disturbing at all, it's a bit funny actualy. And no I'm not a sycopath I'm just not fazed by WORDS!

I don't know why when people make fan art of the fanfic they draw Pinkamena and not Pinkie Pie.

THANK YOU!

I'm glad that there is at least one other person out there who has noticed this besides me.

• Brohoof 2

DJ-Pon3

Most fanfics that have millions of views
Big Mac, he has an awkwardly large following and I cannot figure out why

Pinkie's psychotic side

Rainbow Dash and how she's practically on anything Brony related. It's genuinely sickening.

The Youtube chick who got popular doing DJ-Pon3's voice, and she does a mediocre job at best

Discord

Derpy, and to those that say "the fandom" or "the show".. why directly associate yourself then? I mean if boredom or free will is your response to that question have at it, but the question isnt for me, it should be for yourself..

-Flufflepuff

-Friendship is Witchcraft

-Fallout Equestria

I want to say roleplaying too since it seems like half of the threads on this site are RPs. I haven't tried it myself but I see it all the time here.

• Brohoof 1

For the life of me, I will never understand why Luna has this obsessive cult like following. Well, I'm going to hazard a guess because it's she had the whole 'awkward and misunderstood' thing going for her, which understandably resonated a lot with people in this fandom ("Finally, someone who understands my pain! *Linkin Park plays in background*).  Interestingly enough, she seems to be popular with G4 fans/collectors outside of the brony fandom as well.

• Brohoof 1

angel - the little guy gets on my nerves personally.

Since when was Angel ever particularly popular? In fact, it seems like he's more hated than loved. It could be argued that he's really underrated.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

Nothing. My personal sense of entertainment doesn't give me much reason to complain about anything. And even though there things that I personally don't like, I still understand why other people like them.

Simply put, I don't see anything as overrated.

• Brohoof 4

To call it overrated doesn't make it true. FIM is factually a great cartoon with well-written characters, a simple premise that dares to take risks, and has such a likeable charm that personally connects to thousands of people. It earns the accolades and popularity.

You do know that just because you like something doesn't mean that it isn't overrated, right?

• Brohoof 2

Nothing. My personal sense of entertainment doesn't give me much reason to complain about anything. And even though there things that I personally don't like, I still understand why other people like them.

Simply put, I don't see anything as overrated.

Well that's silly. Something doesn't have to be bad to be overrated. It can have legitimate reasons to like it but that doesn't mean it warrants the ridiculous praise it gets.

Look at Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7. These are pretty much the top two contenders for "best game ever including today where we make way better games daily" in the public conscious. Neither of them is a bad game; that doesn't stop them from being overrated.

• Brohoof 1

Well that's silly. Something doesn't have to be bad to be overrated. It can have legitimate reasons to like it but that doesn't mean it warrants the ridiculous praise it gets.

Look at Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7. These are pretty much the top two contenders for "best game ever including today where we make way better games daily" in the public conscious. Neither of them is a bad game; that doesn't stop them from being overrated.

At the same time, it seems like in many cases, something being considered overrated is not dependent on its actual quality but whether it's popular at all. But I suppose the notion of  overrated is itself subjective instead of factual; some people will argue if something doesn't deserve high praise while others will argue for it. As for me, while I may not agree with whatever is considered popular, I'm not sure if it makes to say that they don't deserve that popular when many people think they do; it feels like an extension of "you're wrong because you don't have the same opinion as me".

Nope. Bronies need to realize that, because this isn't an anime following a manga, entire seasons are completed before the first episode airs. "Derpy" was placed in every season 1 episode and most of season 2 before bronies even existed.
Actually, bronies have been around since the show started, over on 4chan's cartoons and comics board. Before even the second episode aired.

Actually, bronies have been around since the show started, over on 4chan's cartoons and comics board. Before even the second episode aired.

The point was that Derpy was added before the episodes aired and therefore before bronies existed.

The point was that Derpy was added before the episodes aired and therefore before bronies existed.

Yes, but he said she appeared in season 1 and 2 before bronies existed, which was incorrect.

Edited by Celli

I know. I was there.

That doesn't change that season 1 was completed before any of its episodes aired, and was not edited past that point, meaning that nothing in season 1 was in response to the bronies, because they didn't exist at the point in time those episodes were created.

The writing team was not aware of bronies until they were working on season 3, which means nothing from season 1 or 2 is in response to the brony fandom.

• Brohoof 2

I know. I was there.

That doesn't change that season 1 was completed before any of its episodes aired, and was not edited past that point, meaning that nothing in season 1 was in response to the bronies, because they didn't exist at the point in time those episodes were created.

The writing team was not aware of bronies until they were working on season 3, which means nothing from season 1 or 2 is in response to the brony fandom.

Yeah, that's a good point, I hadn't taken that into account.

I know. I was there.

Not exactly.

1. None of the writers knew an inkling about the fandom until the second season in passing. During the script writing of The Last Roundup, Theissen's suggested AKR to change name of Ditzy to Derpy to acknowledge the fanbase.

2. The writers didn't know about them yet, but it doesn't mean no one did. During the first episodes of season one, she was your typical gray Pegasus. But while the first half season one was still airing, Faust began to hear about Derpy and asked about it. After bronies explained Derpy to her, they changed her eye animation to wink to the fans, debuting in Feeling Pinkie Keen, and it stuck.

You do know that just because you like something doesn't mean that it isn't overrated, right?

Eeyup.

Still doesn't make FIM overrated.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2