Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The most overrated MLP related things in the fandom?

cider float

Here are the most overrated thinhs in the MLP fandom (in my opinion):

• Princess Luna
  • RainbowDash
  • Vinyl Scratch
  • Cupcakes
  • My Little Dashie
  • Fallout: Equestria
  • Pinkamena
  • Fluffle Puff
  • Snowdrop

The obsession with Princess Luna (literally everything the fandom does in terms of fan animations has to contribute to her), Derpy (I like her, but geez), Fluttershy, Brony "music", and Fallout: Equestria. I never read it; looks like of those tl;dr fics, and seeing everyone "recommending" it to people makes me wonder if it's seriously that good. It looks bland.

Edited by zigragirl

Friendship is Witchcraft. To me it comes across as a half-hearted attempt to bring later Family Guy's style of humor, including deadpan shock for the sake of being shocking, to the brony fandom. SherclopPones are talented people and good satirists, just like Seth MacFarlane, but are wasting their time and talent on this, just like Seth MacFarlane.

To that end, I'd add Sweetie Bot. I like ponies. I like robots. I like the idea of robot ponies. But Sweetie Bot is just in the wrong damn show.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

I want to add something to my earlier opinion.  I just learned of "Cupcakes" and "My Little Dashie".

I can't stretch my imagination wide enough to imagine these things are actually popular.  But if they are...they go to the top of my list.  Apologies in advance to anybody that digs either one, but...yeesh.   :unamused:

Well that's silly. Something doesn't have to be bad to be overrated. It can have legitimate reasons to like it but that doesn't mean it warrants the ridiculous praise it gets.   Look at Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7. These are pretty much the top two contenders for "best game ever including today where we make way better games daily" in the public conscious. Neither of them is a bad game; that doesn't stop them from being overrated.

I never said overrated meant bad. Overrated-ness is a matter of individual opinion. Some people can say that something is deserving of the praise it gets, others can disagree. I quite like Fallout Equestria, My Little Dashie, Slice of Life, etc., and I believe they are deserving of the attention they received.

I also know that other people see those things as overrated, and that's perfectly understandable. There are several things that many people like and I don't. But I don't get annoyed at other people liking them. If it's popular, it's popular; I really don't care. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Edited by GeekySonic
  • Brohoof 2

Hmmm... whilst I do like every element of the show and most things to do with the fandom, I think that Princess Luna is quite overrated. I mean, Luna is an amazing character and all, and her personality and design are wonderful, but, to be honest, I don't understand why everypony prefers her to Celestia and Cadence. I'm not really a Celestia fan, honestly, but I like Cadence more than Luna.

Any of the gore fics or shorts - SmileHD, Cupcakes etc. Taking Cupcakes as an example, I've heard people say that the fic itself is pretty well written and not just a gore fest (like some of the animations based off it) but I don't get how it relates in any way to the MLP characters other than they have the same names. You can take characters from any show/book/game and turn one into a psycho killer and others into victims, but it only really works if you capture the essence of what that character would be like if they snapped and went nutzoid, or have always been crazy but hiding it, and create a sinister version of them. with Cupcakes and the likes of Rarity's New Patterns etc, there's nothing particularly original or sinister, just a fairly generic Psycho with predictable dialog and a few superficial elements of the characters they're based on thrown in. Add that to the fact that I appreciate Ponies for light entertainment, and don't really rate any MLP related creepy pastas. Something like SmileHD just seems like a pointless waste of time.

I know it's been mentioned a number of times already, but also have to put My Little Dashie up here. Not so much because it's a sappy story about a human guy and a cartoon pony. If we buy into the concept of the story, she's in the human world as a filly with no memories and one to look after her, so he adopts her. If we're talking about a pony who has the same sentience, intelligence and emotions as an average human, a father/adoptive daughter relationship should not be any less valid just because of physical differences. It would be an issue if it was a romantic story, but it's not, so different species is just superficial in the context.

The problem is with the ending, again the predictability of it, it's pretty obvious from the very early stages of the story how it's going to end, and it's the most blatant option for purposely trying to provoke an emotional reaction. Not only that but its also quite flawed.

Whatever happened to RD in Equestria that caused her to appear in the human world as a filly with no memories is basically the equivilent of dying and being reincarnated. So what the other ponies want to do at the end is kill off the current RD to bring back the one they lost. Yes it would be better for her in the long run, to be in a place where she's not the only one of her kind, but if the others managed to get there to find her, why is it neccessary to make her forget who she is now, where she was raised and who took care of her?. I don't even remember if there was an excuse about a one time portal kind of deal, or some detailed reason why she couldn't at least keep in touch or occasionally vist. If there was, it's only there to enable to predictable angsty ending, so when it came I didn't feel connected to the story or the characters anymore

• 6 months later...

Luna, while I like her a lot and she is my favourite pony, she really seems to be absolutely everywhere and I can't really figure out why. I mean I like her because of design alone and other seem to like her for a lot more but I can't see what.

I think Merchandize is pretty overrated.

Why would you spend Money on collectibles, that just will end up in your shelf and you probably wont really play or move them.

But thats a thing, i dont understand about any fandom.

I dislike merchandize but okay.

(edited)

About MLD, I can see why people mentioning it here(I personally liked it and was my first pony fic). But there are sequels, some even becoming like the official sequels to it, even tough all 3 are written by 3 different authors, they all connect to each other. Mayby after reading those three, you might like it more? I enjoyed them.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/5284/my-little-dashie-a-sequel

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/5991/my-little-dashie-a-threequel

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22169/my-little-dashie-fourth-times-the-charm

Lots of the things mentioned I never really saw/read or enjoyed them.

I personally have nothing to be mentioned here.

Edited by Deae Rising Shine~

The real question should be what is underrated!  :love:  :love:  :love:

That said, fanfics are overrated.  :orly:

I would actually say the same thing, if it wasn't for the fact that most of the fandom i have seen mostly disliked that short film.

@Mesme Rize That is exactly the point! It is overrated!  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

Cupcakes. I don't see why people call it disturbing. It's a bedtime story for foals.

About MLD, I can see why people mentioning it here(I personally liked it and was my first pony fic). But there are sequels, some even becoming like the official sequels to it, even tough all 3 are written by 3 different authors, they all connect to each other. Mayby after reading those three, you might like it more? I enjoyed them.

Have you read the official sequel?

I take back what I said in my previous post in this.

The most overrated thing in the fandom would definitely have to be the background ponies.

They literally have no canon personalities what so ever.

It's hard for me to get emotionally invested in background props with less personality than Tom the rock.

Plus the fact that we got an episode focusing on them before a Celestia episode is pretty sad.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

{...} Fall of the Crystal empire. {...} tries too hard to be dark.

It also flies in the face of a good chunk of canon:

Canon!Sombra = No-Nonsense Nemesis; FOTCE!Sombra = Suicidal Overconfidence.

Canon!NMM = Starter Villain; FOTCE!NMM = Villain Sue.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1