Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is your National Anthem in English?

aoEAF2FBvC0MIo2Q

English National Anthem?  

72 users have voted

1. 1. Which part of the world are you from where the national anthem is in English?

• Canada
    • USA
    • United Kingdom
    • Oceania
    • Caribbean, Belize or Guyana
    • Africa
    • English anthem but none of the above
    • Non-English anthem

This might give some interesting results. Given that MLP Forums is on the international English-speaking web, intuition would say that most would likely be from primarily English-speaking countries. The reason I chose to put attention on the language of the national anthem is because that language would most likely be a big part of that culture's identity. Perhaps not totally (I'm looking at you, Quebec) but large enough.

What even is the National Anthem? Oh right, it must be that piece that I've played in band and orchestra a thousand times. I don't really remember the words, but they must be English because I'm from the USA. =P

I suppose that makes me a terrible, terrible American and all.

If I'm not mistaken it's only the US, Canada and UK countries who have English national anthems.

But to answer the question, no, my national anthem is not in English. Our national anthem is sung in Danish. :)

"Oceania" Come on guys, there's an entire continent here called Australia. We don't call the US 'the Americas'. Oceania covers a very broad chunk of the planet. :I
But anyway, back on track: Technically our Australian anthem is English written. Although it's usually sung in a more broken-english 'Strayan.

If I'm not mistaken it's only the US, Canada and UK countries who have English national anthems.

You are mistaken. Please take the time to check the anthems of the countries Belize and Guyana. Both have English national anthems as they were former British colonies. Belize shares a border with Mexico and Guatemala with Guyana sharing a border with Venezuela. There are islands in the Caribbean that have English national anthems. I can name Barbados, St. Lucia and Jamaica off the top of my head. Former British colonies also exist in Africa. Ghana would be one.

"Oceania" Come on guys, there's an entire continent here called Australia. We don't call the US 'the Americas'. Oceania covers a very broad chunk of the planet. :I

That's because I also wanted to include New Zealand and any of the other islands scattered north and east. The British didn't call it a day with just Australia and New Zealand, you know. There's Micronesia and the Marshall Islands that do have English anthems.

• Brohoof 1

You are mistaken. Please take the time to check the anthems of the countries Belize and Guyana. Both have English national anthems as they were former British colonies. Belize shares a border with Mexico and Guatemala with Guyana sharing a border with Venezuela. There are islands in the Caribbean that have English national anthems. I can name Barbados, St. Lucia and Jamaica off the top of my head. Former British colonies also exist in Africa. Ghana would be one.

That's because I also wanted to include New Zealand and any of the other islands scattered north and east. The British didn't call it a day with just Australia and New Zealand, you know. There's Micronesia and the Marshall Islands that do have English anthems.

Well sure, and that's understandable to a degree. But lumping it all into a single grouping is a bit rough. You've even specifically split the Caribbean, despite it being part of North America, and the Americas in general. If you're gonna split things up, at least split it up a little more evenly. I may be tooting my own horn here but we are literally a continent and as different to the rest of Oceania as the US is to the Caribbean.