Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Desktop? Why not laptop/monitor?

Rawzy

I've seen countless people wondering which desktop they should get because they are limited when it comes to cost. I've always thought that it would be much more affordable to just get a cheap gaming laptop and then hook it up to a monitor, it would also be much more easier to transport around the place. So I was wondering....are there any downsides in doing this? Do any of you already do this? and also...do any of you guys play on a 800x600 resolution because you're PC is a pile of crap? Because I do...

Laptops are much more expensive per FPS than it's pc counter part,

It's also a lot more difficult to fix,

as parts cannot be immendiately replaced with parts available within the store(unless it's a hard drive or ram problem)

Laptops are also more prone to injury. as they have a stronger tendency to drop or be misplaced due to it's weight and mobility.

and often times dropping a laptop while it's running will kill it's hard drive along with most if not all the data stored therein.

Laptops have limited upgradeability,

it's much more difficult if at times impossible to upgrade it's proccesor and video card, both are core components in gaming.

Laptops have limited space, 

most laptops limit their maximum drive slots to 1,a standard PC can take 3-4 hard drives running in their systems.

• Brohoof 1

I play on a custom-built PC. 1920x1080 monitor.

Honestly, I would say Desktops are much better, in terms of not only price, but customizability.

You can build one for a decent price, like $500, and then upgrade it later.

Honestly, you'll get more out of a custom built for $500 than a gaming laptop for around $800

I've seen countless people wondering which desktop they should get because they are limited when it comes to cost. I've always thought that it would be much more affordable to just get a cheap gaming laptop and then hook it up to a monitor, it would also be much more easier to transport around the place. So I was wondering....are there any downsides in doing this? Do any of you already do this? and also...do any of you guys play on a 800x600 resolution because you're PC is a pile of crap? Because I do...

-Not everyone will be satisfied with cheap gaming laptop.

-With exception of a certain MSI laptop with mechanical keyboard, upgradability is usually restricted to storage and RAM (so if you need CPU or GPU upgrade you have to replace entire system instead of just those parts).

-Desktop PCs are best in terms of price to performance. You pay a premium with laptops.

-800x600 is very old standard resolution which I cannot easily go back to using.

Well, there are a few reasons, but one of the big ones for me is that there's less that can go wrong and that PCs are easier to repair. A big weakness I've noticed in laptops as of late is the LCD screen. If that dies on you, you might as well buy a whole new laptop or turn it into a PC and stick it into an external monitor.

Also, as a bit of a superficial complaint, I am not a fan of laptop keyboards. I have yet to use a laptop with a keyboard that satisfies me. It's because of how close the keyboard is to the screen. With the way I type, this results in my face being uncomfortably close to the screen. Plus my touch typing doesn't match the various setups different manufacturers use.

Desktops are much better performance and price wise. Most bang for the buck. A $1000 laptop doesn't even come close to the performance you'd get if you build a desktop for the same money. Desktop also last much longer as they are subject to less physical abuse. But if all you do is play light games like Minecraft and League of Legends then by all means get a laptop as the mobility is really a plus.