Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Game series that you started with a sequel instead of the original

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

So this is something I am wondering. With all of these games in the world, there are soooooo many good series out there that have multiple games in them. That can make it difficult to start with the original game in that franchise and instead we first played a sequel in that series instead of the first game. What are some of these for you?

An example of this for me is Dynasty Warriors 4. I played the demo of this game and I had never played a DW game before that and I loved it, so I ended up buying DW4 before ever playing any of the games before it. 

Then there is Metal Slug, which I have only played Metal Slug 3 and no other games in the franchise, of which there are many. :o Never even played the original.

• Brohoof 4

I got to play Portal 2 in the first place because I heard about the second one first and it seemed to be a pretty good game back then, so I thought to myself, hey why not play it, it looks cool!

Also, when I tried to play Portal 1 sometimes ago on my computer it was kind of buggy with the controls for some reasons.

I got to play Portal 2 in the first place because I heard about the second one first and it seemed to be a pretty good game back then, so I thought to myself, hey why not play it, it looks cool!

Also, when I tried to play Portal 1 sometimes ago on my computer it was kind of buggy with the controls for some reasons.

I also played Portal 2 before playing Portal.

I've played Kingdom Hearts 2, Dead Space 2Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Sim City 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Halo 3, and Super Mario Brothers Wii before any of the prequels. There's more, but that's all I can name off the top of my head right now.

Edited by ATGG
  • Brohoof 1

I played Virtue's Last Reward before I played 999... don't regret it really. :huh:

And of course, any series that bases sequels solely on improvement reasons like, say, Monster Hunter or sports games, I've started with the latest entry I could at the time- no reason to go back to inferior versions just because they might be numbered sequels, most of the time. :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

Resident Evil 4 comes to mind fairly quickly. As well as Team Fortress 2, Just Cause 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and some other games here and there.

Depends on what kind of sequel we're talking about. I mean I started with DW3 and FFVIII for their respective series, but those don't follow a story so I don't think those count. On the other hand I started with Megaman X5 first, so I was kinda out there in regards to that series...then again story isn't exactly a high point for that series sooo....

Another one was Brothers In Arms, started out with the most recent game, Hell's Highway. That was such a bad idea. I was so lost, so so lost

I'd say about 90% of the game series I try out I never start with the original... Pokémon: Pokémon Platinum; Legend of Zelda: LoZ Skyward Sword; Super Smash Bros.: SSBB; etc. and etc.

• Brohoof 1

Except for Lego Batman and Sonic the Hedgehog I have only played sequels in game series. I have played a little of the original Pokemon but the sprites creep me out too much to play the full game. Pokemon Yellow is fun though :D

These are all the ones I can think of that I played before their originals:

Sonic Heroes

Metal Gear Solid 3

Kingdom Hearts 2

Halo 2

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

Team Fortress 2

Skylanders Giants

Sly Cooper 3: Honor Among Thieves

Fallout 3

Grand Theft Auto III

Mario Kart Wii

Devil May Cry 4

• Brohoof 1

Fallout 3 

Tekken 3 

Grand Theft Auto 3 

Timesplitters 2 (Still my favorite FPS game to this day)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time

Super Mario World 

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 

• Brohoof 1

I guess one of the more notable ones for me was sonic adventure. Kind of explains my acceptance of 3D sonic games while most of the rest of that community rages over how much it sucks compared to 2D.

Also, ocarina of time, super Mario world, phoenix Wright justice for all, megaman battle network and Mario Kart 64 are the most notable games that I played before the original.

-Super Mario World

-Zelda: A Link to the Past

-Fallout: New Vegas

-Mario Kart Double Dash or Super Circuit

-Team Fortress 2

-Star Fox 64

-Metroid 2: Return of Samus

-Super Smash Bros Melee

-Pokemon LeafGreen/FireRed

• Brohoof 1

- Metroid Zero Mission

- The Sims 3

- Sim City 4

- Pokémon Diamond

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

- Epic Battle Fantasy 3 (do flash games count?)

- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

I'm sure there's more, but that's what came to mind.

Super Mario 64 (yeah, I skipped 63 games, no big deal)

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (for as much as those count as sequels)

Kirby 64

Final Fantasy XIII (oddly enough, it's a sequel and the beginning of a series)

Pokémon Emerald

Fallout 3

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Metroid Prime (does that count?)

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Mario Kart 64

Yoshi's Story

Honestly, provided a series has gone on long enough, a lot of games qualify for this. The amount of people who play video games and who have played the original titles grows increasingly slim as more people join the community. And some of them are drastically different, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls have moved fairly far from their roots.

Of course, that's if you can't some of those as sequels. They're in the same franchise, but I'd say only a handful of those are actually something where what happened previously might actually mean anything.

• Brohoof 1

hey there Kyoshi  :pinkie:

anyways, this is difficult for me, since i am older, i have played a handful of original games, but a lot of times i have touched the sequels before the original, but then there are situations where i touched an original game but never owned it.

i played 3 LAN multiplayer matches of Halo:CE, but i hated it and never bought it, but then Halo 2 came out so i asked for an Xbox and that was my first Xbox game.

Team Fortress 2, i never knew that Team Fortress even existed before then.

Guildwars Factions, i never touched the base game of Guildwars, and to be honest, i've onyl put 8 hours into Factions before getting sick of it, but i have over 5,500 hours put into GW2.

Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare, i like how i'm the only one here who played CoD4, i mean, i don't even see anyone listing CoD5:World At War as their first in the series either (oh wait, someone listed CoD3). which, i technically played CoD3 first at a friend's house, but i didn't like it enough to own it.

Warcraft 3:The Frozen Throne, and i never cared to play the older games.

Diablo 2, i never played the first one.

The Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion, i tried going back to play Morrowind, but after 5 minutes i ended up hating the combat mechanics and graphics, so i quit. i also tried playing Daggerfall, but that is such a broken game that doesn't work if you want a special build.

Fallout 3, people keep telling me to play the original 2 games but i just don't care enough, and i was told the mechanics were completely different back then so i'll pass.

Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition, okay, not a video game, but still a sequel ruleset to old school pen and paper D&D.

Crysis 2, i never played the first one, but i was told this one was better anyway, and it was a computer benchmark test to see how well your GPU could perform, hehe.

Far Cry 3, i actually technically never owned this game, but i played it a lot on my friend's computer that could run it.

and finally, i don't think this counts, but i owned Borderlands 2, but i played the original also but it was my friend's copy and i never beat it, so i would say that is a partial point? lol  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

• Uncharted 2 

Resident evil 4 (I Never owned a PlayStation growing up so I never had a chance to play the first 3 games)

COD Black Ops

Kirby 64

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Prince of Persia and the Sands of time

Super Metroid