Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Game series that you started with a sequel instead of the original

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Hoo boy, there's a lot to name here.

Let's see... Starting from off the top of my head:
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

Star Wars X-Wing (X-Wing Alliance)
Star Wars Dark Forces (Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy)

Star Wars Battlefront (Battlefront II)

Myst (Myst III: Exile)

Left 4 Dead (Left 4 Dead 2)

X-COM (XCOM: Enemy Unknown)

Deus Ex (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Counter-Strike (Counter-Strike: Golbal Offensive)

StarCraft (StarCraft II)

Portal (Portal 2)

Team Fortress (Team Fortress 2)

Fallout (Fallout 4)

Elite (Elite: Dangerous)

Age of Empires (Age of Empires II)

Sid Meier's Civilization (Civilization III)

I started many times from sequels but I remember only 2 titles.

THe first game is Medal of Honor: Allied Assault which was my first game on PC by the way. Few years later (probably it was at 2004) I had an occasion to play the original MoH for PS1 but everytime when I was playing this game I couldn't pass the 2nd level.

The second game is Gothic II. I played before the original Gothic but it was a demo (These beautiful times when games had demo versions) and in German but It was about 11 years ago, now I have the Gothic I and II in Polish and everytime when I play these games, I feel like I had 6 years old again.

I've finished Fallout NV 5 times, while not even going through half of Fallout 3. That count?

Also, Baldurs gate, i suppose. I played the second before i played the first. But really, i like to play my games in order of release.

Well I did Silver in pokemon and in Final Fantasy,  I started in 10 along with Kingdom Hearts,  I hit up 2 and I can stand 1 in worth my life of all things....

Fallout 3 and Oblivion come to mind.  It's tempting to get the rest of the franchises and play through them all, but that would be a huuuuuge time commitment.  Incidentally, I've put more hours into playing Oblivion than any other game I've ever touched, although it's hard to go back now that I've experienced Skyrim.

• Brohoof 1

Fallout 3 and Oblivion come to mind.  It's tempting to get the rest of the franchises and play through them all, but that would be a huuuuuge time commitment.  Incidentally, I've put more hours into playing Oblivion than any other game I've ever touched, although it's hard to go back now that I've experienced Skyrim.

I went from Morrowind to Skyrim, I completely skipped Oblivion because I didn't it existed then. My bad. But, yeah, I couldn't get into Skyrim as much as I would've like to. I'm not sure why.

Metal Gear Solid: Yes, I know it is the first of the "Metal Gear Solid" line, but I didn't find out until much later that the first game in the series is called Metal Gear and was released for the NES.

Tales of Symphonia: For those unfamiliar this series is much like the Final Fantasy series in that while it does have some sequels that are connected most of the games each have their own universes that are different from on another. There were many games released before this one but only in Japan so like many westerners this was my introduction to the series.

Final Fantasy VI: This was when it was first released in the us as Final Fantasy III (seriously).

Asassins Creed Brotherhood: The game looked awesome so I got it and it was best friend when I was recovering from my wisdom tooth surgery and got me to play the rest of them in order.

Kingdom Hearts 2: I knew almost nothing about the series back then as was very skeptical, but though I didn't own the game or the system at the time I did get the opportunity to play it.

Mario Party 2 was the first game in the party series I have played. I'm glad it was since the first mario party had games that caused hand injuries due to rotating the stick with your palm.

• 2 years later...

The Ratchet and Clank series I started with Ratchet Deadlocked, which is the 4th game, and by fans is considered to be the black sheep. I then played the rest the series in a really weird order like 3,1, and then 2. Eventually I played the rest of the series in the correct order when I got a bit older.

Jak and Daxter I started with 3 first, then 2, and then 1. (I was a very odd child.) Jak 2 despite it's overly punishing difficulty at points, actually ended up being my favorite of the trilogy when I was a kid.

I remember going to a Wal Mart and getting a value pack of 3 Crash Bandicoot games called "The Crash Action Pack", which offered Crash Twinsanity, Crash Nitro Kart, and Crash Tag Team Racing.

My first Spyro game was the reboot called Spyro: A New Beginning, which I played for like a week, and then put it down, and haven't touched it since.

For a more recent series I just got into, Final Fantasy IX is my first Final Fantasy game.

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 1

I started the Sonic the Hedgehog series by playing the second game but the portable version released on the Sega Game Gear. This is a technicality though as I did play the sequel that was released on the Genesis--Mega Drive in the U.K.--and played the original though it was on my brother's console--I owned the game.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on previous titles, from technical aspects to art design, everything.

Morrowind is one example of this, in which case the story elements were able to compensate for some fairly poor game mechanics. As for the elder scrolls arena and daggerfall, no thanks.

Still, I find it admirable to pursue ambitious projects having such limited technology.

Tekken 3 

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 

Super Mario World 

Street Fighter 2 (I don't think many people have even played the original)

Mass Effect 2 

Streets Of Rage 2 

• Brohoof 1

Final Fantasy- Never played the original, started with Final Fantasy 3 and 4

Super Mario Bros.- Played Super Mario Bros. 2 (Doki Doki Panic) before the original

Mario and Luigi- Played Bowser's Inside Story before Superstar Saga (the original)

Call of Duty- Never played the original, started with Modern Warfare 2... 1f914.png

Fallout- Never played the original, started with Fallout 3

Mario Kart- Never played the original, started with Double Dash!!

Battlefield- Never played the original, started with Bad Company 2

Edited by Classic Meme

GTA Vice City, Soul Calibur 2, Street Fighter 2, Dead Or Alive 2, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Blood Omen 2, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Burnout 3, Age of Empires 2, Half-Life 2, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, Fallout 3, SimCity 3000...probably a whole lot more.

Final Fantasy - started with Ocarina of Time

Super Mario Bros. - started with New Super Mario Bros.

Final Fantasy - started with Final Fantasy IV

Ace Combat - started with Ace Combat 04

Spyro the Dragon - started with The Legend of Spyro

Sonic the Hedgehog - started with Sonic Heroes

Super Smash Bros. - started with Super Smash Bros. Melee

Halo - started with Halo 3

Fallout - started with Fallout 4

Mario Kart - started with Mario Kart DS

Mario Party - started with Mario Party 4

Mortal Kombat - started with Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition

Kirby - started with Kirby & the Amazing Mirror

Gran Turismo - started with both Gran Turismo 3 & 4