Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Game series that you started with a sequel instead of the original

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Pokémon HeartGold was my first Pokémon game. I was a kid so of course, I had no idea it was a sequel for an older game Pokémon Gold. Anywho, I had fun until, when I was transferring my Ho-oh from the Pokéwalker, you know the message that pops up saying to "NOT TURN OFF THE POWER". I was too curious for my own good about why that was, so I turned off the power. When I turned it back on, It told me my Ho-oh was in the Pokéwalker. If you turn on the Pokéwalker, it isn't there. So, I ended up restarting my game because the Pokéwalker and Ho-oh made those games what they were. So yeah, I was a dumb kid

• 8 months later...

I started so many series with a sequel... for Ace Combat, Spyro, and Final Fantasy, I started with the fourth game. I played ODST before any of the other Halo games, and I played Gran Turismo 3 before any of the other GT games. I started Super Smash Bros. with Melee, and Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda game. Wild World was my first Animal Crossing game, and Fallout 3 was my first Fallout game. Mario Kart DS was my first game with Mario anywhere in the title, and my first Pokémon game was Emerald.

• Brohoof 1

Lots. When I was a kid, I had this philosophy of "if a game got a sequel, then the sequel is probably like the original but better". 

My first Crash game was Warped, never even saw footage of Crash 1 until a lets-player group I followed did the three games in preparation for the N-Sane Trilogy. My first Pokemon game was Ruby/Sapphire, but the first one that got me hooked was Gold/Silver. Never actually beat the original RBY games now that I think about it. My first Digimon game was Digimon World 3/2003, which was a good introduction when I was a kid, but looking back on it, it was pretty awful. I think my first Final Fantasy game was three (original), though the first one I owned was the first one on Virtual Console. I think my first Donkey Kong game was Country 2, but I can't remember since my old daycare had both Country 1 and 2. First one I owned was 3 when my sister's boyfriend gave me his SNES for my birthday.

And lastly, my first Persona game was 4, then 5, then 4 Golden, then 3, and eventually Innocent Sin down the line.

• Brohoof 1

Red Dead, I played Redemption before Revolver

Halo, I played 3 first

CoD MW, I played 2 first and it is by far my favorite ever CoD game

Not really a series that has to be played in order but the first NASCAR game I played was 07, 06 is my all time favorite

Sprint Cars, played Showdown at Eldora before Road to Knoxville

Assassin's Creed, I played Brotherhood first

Elder Scrolls, played Skyrim first

Saint's Row, I played 3 first and freakin loved it

Ratchet and Clank, I played 4 first

GTA, I play 2 first

Carnivores, I played 2 first

So, a lot of series.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I started the majority of the series that I've played with a sequel, probably. (Though I did play the first Smash Bros. and Pokémon Red before the rest of their respective series unlike most here).

Mario- Super Mario Bros. 2 (GBA remake)

Fallout- Fallout 3

Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time 

Final Fantasy- Final Fantasy III (DS)

Mario and Luigi- Bowser's Inside Story

Kirby- Nightmare Before Dreamland

Metroid- Metroid Prime 2

Mario Kart- Double Dash!!

Donkey Kong- Donkey Kong 64

Fable- Fable II

Star Fox- Star Fox 64

I could likely go on.

Edited by Santa Barik
Three not four.
  • Brohoof 1

Now that I think of it, I havn't played the original game of any of the game series I've played :-D

Dynasty warriors: DW 5

Castlevania: Aria of sorrow, Dawn of sorrow, Curse of Darkness, Lord of shadows 2 

GTA: San Andreas, Vice city, IV, V

Kirby: Nightmare in dreamland, Kirby & the Amazing mirror

Supermario: Four 

Except maybe the old arcade game House of the dead, which I've played all four :)  (took me 12 years to finally beat them all) 

Edited by Quantum Pony

Persona: Persona 5

Kirby: Kirby's Dream Land 2 (my mom bought it for me because it had the hamster on the cover lol)

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

With Mario Kart, it's unclear whether I played 64 or Super Mario Kart first. I want to think that I played 64 first, but I had a SNES for a while before my N64.

Civilization: IV

Nothing else is coming to mind right now.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Back in 2001, me and my brother's rented both Legend of Zelda N64 games; he got Ocarina of Time and I got Majora's Mask. And that's how I played Majora's mask first before Ocarina of Time