Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fan fiction that upset you?

Bendy

OK.... it's a bit ridiculous to get upset over fan fiction based off My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic... but somehow I got upset.

So what fan fiction upset you?  (If no fan fiction did upset... you can post here.... but I'm exactly why you would, other than to point out the obvious fact none of the fan fiction upset you)

Personally these two below.

Friendship is Optimal. The ending of this story had me in tears and I had very little sleep after it, even had nightmares about it. A reason, creepy, manipulative Celestia AI that would make Harbinger from Mass Effect seem cuddly. Mutilation of the human's body and soul. (mind if you're not religious)

The Conversion Bureau... (a number of such stories made me want to punch my computer screen.. I didn't punch it, but I felt like it) happy open 'xenocide' of humanity considered a 'good' thing. Also mutilation of the human's body and soul (mind if you're not religious), Princess Celestia being out of character, downright monstrous portrayal. To the point she would make Ted Bundy seem like a nice guy. The ponies I know and love, being more like the Borg than being remotely connected to their canon personalities.  

Edited by Bendy

I don't remember the title, but it's about Twilight with OCD (It might even just be called "Twilight's OCD," but I'm not sure) and going through her normal daily routine, and not feeling like she's doing things the right way until she kills someone, which makes her happy, and by the end it turns out she's killed a bunch of ponies due to her OCD, which is not at all what OCD is.

Basically the writer just thought "OCD = mental illness, mental illness = psychotic killer."

Being someone who has OCD, it really offended me. It takes alot to offend me, I even prefer it when people make jokes about my imperfections. If you cant laugh at yourself, blah blah blah, you know? But just thinking, if I knew whoever that writer was in real life, had I been friends and confessed about my OCD to them, would they run away screaming the word "MURDERER!" and cut all ties with me? It was just so ignorant, but that's a story for another day, about if it's their fault or if the education system is so fucked that thats just how people end up these days.

TL;DR - Twilight had ocd and I was offended.

• Brohoof 2

Fanfictions themselves never upsets me. At worst it just makes me go "Bugger this". With that said, I usually try to give some constructive criticism, no matter how bad the story.

What annoys me more within fanfiction circles is when a particular portrayal becomes popular and widespread, and people start mimicking it and blasts others for not doing so, even though it's not canon.

Also the tendency to lionize characters they like and demonize the ones they don't like. Or rewriting the character wholesale for shipping, making the whole point of the character moot in the firsst place.

Good examples?

Ginny Weasley and Pansy Parkinsson.

Ginny: Usually portrayed as the perfect girl, funny athletic and everything(unless the writer doesn't like her) and very nice while still sarcastic and witty. She can do no wrong.

The actual book Ginny had a ton of negative character traits that are glossed over(spitefulness, selfishness and general rudeness- traits that most Gryffindors shared actually, but Ginny was most clearly this way).

Pansy: Becomes a big villain character who everyone dumps on, despite not really being horrible in canon, but not really pleasant either.

Pansy is also a common "rewritten personality character", where people want to ship her with Harry but to do so they don't write Pansy, they write their own OC with a flawless personality, just under the name of a canon character.

Finding balanced version of both characters can be stupidly hard.

So yeah, individual fics don't upset me. Stupid trends within fanfiction circles do.

Edited by RWB
  • Brohoof 2

I don't read fan fiction, pony or otherwise.

I've read a few very short and relatively obscure fan fictions here and there, but none of the large, well-known ones, other than Cupcakes, which isn't really a fan fiction per se (it's a satire of grimdark, and I found it very obvious it was a joke.)

From what I've heard of things like Fallout Equestria, My Little Dashie, etc., I'm not missing anything worthwhile.

I don't remember the title, but it's about Twilight with OCD (It might even just be called "Twilight's OCD," but I'm not sure) and going through her normal daily routine, and not feeling like she's doing things the right way until she kills someone, which makes her happy, and by the end it turns out she's killed a bunch of ponies due to her OCD, which is not at all what OCD is.

This is a common stigma you see in fiction with various eccentricities, neuroses, or conditions. What really baffles me is how we in the civilized West still make all of our evil demonic villains albinos, presumably because white hair and red eyes = vampiric appearance.

Edited by Lucky Shot

My Little Dashie

Leave a Message     That story killed me.  its really good and short also https://www.fimfiction.net/story/273610/leave-a-message

I found CUPCAKES .. amusing, maybe a bit too amusing.  and some of the others like that.  Gore is easy to do tho.  Not as fun

EDIT:

What is Fallout Equestria and where do i read it.  I have heard alot about it but no idea what it is (Besides the obvious spinoff of fallout game, only played New Vegas and it sucked)

Edited by CodeHell

Any time someone posts a bad fanfiction and gets all defensive when someone gives it criticism. It happens more than you'd think. 

Edit: Since people are mentioning My Little Dashie a lot, I figured I'd throw my two cents in. I think that story has a bit of what I'd like to call the "PewDiePie effect"; it's severely over-read and overrated. To clarify, I don't hate or even dislike the story, it does a decent job at tugging the heartstrings despite its layers of cheese and manipulative melodrama. But there's so many better fanfictions this fandom has produced, yet MLD is the one most people know about. That's where most of the hate and controversy comes from, really.

Edited by Mouse
  • Brohoof 1

"As A Dream Took Flight" by Puppet String.

Really -- not even Celestia could cure the mare, and Discord couldn't just grant more than 1 wish?

Not to mention the stallion ended up spending the rest of his life in depression and regret, the exact opposite of what the mare's ghost wanted for him -- meaning she technically died in vain.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.

I started to get tired of adopt a human, they're mostly the same story over and over and over. Other things that I avoid like the plague, are explicit scenes of rape.... those end up depressing me for days all the time

Fanfictions themselves never upsets me. At worst it just makes me go "Bugger this". With that said, I usually try to give some constructive criticism, no matter how bad the story.

What annoys me more within fanfiction circles is when a particular portrayal becomes popular and widespread, and people start mimicking it and blasts others for not doing so, even though it's not canon.

Also the tendency to lionize characters they like and demonize the ones they don't like. Or rewriting the character wholesale for shipping, making the whole point of the character moot in the firsst place.

Diamond Tiara (at least before Crusaders of the Lost Mark) and Flash Sentry tend to fall victims of demonize because they are not liked by the author. There's a trope called Ron the Death Eater for it

• Brohoof 1

My litte dashie, I just got angery instead of sad at the end. Oh celetai took all his stuff away. I"m I suppose to feel sad. Yeah cuase Celestia stole his posssesion for no reason what so ever. What the hell Celestia, where you trying to ripe a hole his life on purpose?

Fallout equstria: a lot of things got me annoyed with it but hard to really explain why

Just a reminder, linking a fic that is adult (sex) or gore is considered a NSFW violation here. Warnings don't shield that. Please avoid linking these, thanks.

• Brohoof 2

Just a reminder, linking a fic that is adult (sex) or gore is considered a NSFW violation here. Warnings don't shield that. Please avoid linking these, thanks.

Just mentioning  those kinds of fics should count right?  :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read many MLP fanfictions, but I have read several Harry Potter ones, and there was one were Ron died insteads of Fred, told from Hermione's point of view, that had me tearing up a little. It was called Becoming Granger, I read it on Archive of Our Own, and it was very good. 

The Conversion Bureau: I once used to like it back when I was a noob, but looking back, it's just awful and downright misanthropic. Even SCP-682 would have to reluctantly help the humans fight back those Nazi bastardizations of the ponies so that mankind could be all his to eradicate (You know, the Godzilla threshold). Thankfully, there are deconstructions like Not Alone that certainly help portray the whole thing on a more realistic scenario.

Edited by Dino-Mario

My first and only clop-fic.

I was 12 and the description said "clop warning" and I never knew what it meant. The fanfic is called My Little Slave and just reading everything that's going on, it's super screwed up in my opinion. I think it's worse than Cupcakes even though there is no death in it. Just a lot of perverted torture that I wasn't prepared for. EVERY single chapter I was disgusted and just doing things you would normally do when you freak out calmly (wiping your lips and moving backwards from wherever you're reading it). Now if someone dared me to read a clop fic, that would be the only one I will read because I know what to expect. I stopped reading it once when I heard about that case where 3 girls were trapped in this guy's basement for 10 years, but when I looked back at it, the guy was still writing chapters even AFTER that case. So yeah, I don't exactly read clop fics. I think back in 5th grade I was ABOUT to read a clop fic. Good thing lunch time came around.

Edited by FlootahBaby

• 1 year later...